Thread: 370 gr GC Hard Cast Lead

Default 370 gr GC Hard Cast Lead

So, I'm new here (this forum, not AK) and I don't want to offend anybody by badmouthing their product. Not my intent, but I need to ask if anyone has had issues with an ammunition, I'm assuming is loaded here in Ak, that is intended for "backpackers". I ask because I was showing off and lobbing 454 rounds (370gr hard cast) 115 yards down range two days ago (good groups at aprox 8-10") and 1 of every three or four only made it about 30-50yds down range...Considering the assigned task of the ammo / firearm duo, even one not performing up to par is too many. I purposely switched from two other brands simply because of one load of each that failed to go boom. I intend to keep buying Alaska made products when I can, even if I have to weigh each individual round before it goes into the cylinder or speedloader, but at nearly $2 / round, I can't afford to "throw away" the sub-par rounds. Does anyone have any input? (I already read the thread concerning ABAmmo and SAMMI specs...)

FYI reloading is not a viable option for me at this time.

reloading is always an option just ask around someone you know or a neighbor will have most of what you need ,you supply brass ,bullets, powder ,pay for primers & maybe dies,they supply equipment an know how.You do the reloading. I've started many friends that way,I'm sure there are lots more like me ,just fun to watch a first timer touch off the first round they did their self. Alex

Buffalo Bore makes a really good 360 grain load for the Casull. Also, Double Tap (www.doubletapammo.com) has a really good 360 grain LFN and a 400 grain WFN load (at 1400 fps). I have taken game with the 400 grain loads, but your .454 might not have the twit rateto stabilize such a long bullet. My SRH shoots them well out to about 25 yards, but they open up from there. The 360s work rally well in my revolver.

This is not meant to criticize you or anyone.

Anyone that is going to hunt with a handgun, had better be a handloader! Unless of course you have the financial ability to lay out many thousands of dollars each year for ammo to practice with.

They have never made a factory loaded center fire ammo that I trust like I do my own loads.

If you had just one failure with any ammo, are you really going to trust that ammo?

Do everything you can to get fully into handloading your own ammo. Then if you have a failure you only have to look in a mirror to find the source of the problem.

Who cares more about you, than you?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    This is not meant to criticize you or anyone.

Anyone that is going to hunt with a handgun, had better be a handloader! Unless of course you have the financial ability to lay out many thousands of dollars each year for ammo to practice with.

They have never made a factory loaded center fire ammo that I trust like I do my own loads.

If you had just one failure with any ammo, are you really going to trust that ammo?

Do everything you can to get fully into handloading your own ammo. Then if you have a failure you only have to look in a mirror to find the source of the problem.

Who cares more about you, than you?
    Great advice. I was under the impression that he was looking for factory ammo that works well, and the suggestions I made do work well for a lot of people. Personally, I handload.

Default WHUFF! click...

well, I almost bought dies for my boss's dillon a while back but by the time I figured in cost of dies, brass, powder, primes, projectiles, I could afford to buy a couple hundred rounds when I pass through ANC. You gotta remember way out here (Bethel) things tend to cost a bit more...regular freight is $1 per pound, tack on a hazmat charge for EACH box of hazmat... UPS won't even send hazmats here. It's so cost prohibative to reload here now that those "old times" quit reloading...So now I've gotta find a reliable load that I can find in a 3 hour whirlwind shopping spree during an Anchorage layover. Corbon and Bufflao Bore have both failed to go boom...AKBackpacker seems to be inconsistantly loaded, though they always have fired...I'm not freaking out yet but if I hear a whuffing in the willows and all I get is a click with no boom...Bear protection is a very real deal out here, as in most of AK

If you have factory ammo that is filing to go boom, you have a problem with your gun. The likelihood of having several rounds fail to fire because of faulty ammo is pretty much nil. I thought this was about eratic velocity from factory ammo, not fail to fire. Let me guess this is a Super Redhawk.

I have shot Buffalo Bore, Cor Bon, Garrett and Alaska backpacker ammo. Though I have some disagereement with their choice of powder I have not found any to be of inferior quality. Generally better than most other factory ammo. I will say that failure to fire is almost always a gun problem. But also the only failure to fire I've had in the past decade has been with factory ammo (Not handloads) but 9 out of 10 are gun faults.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Murphy:
    Would you mind telling, what you know about FTF with Ruger Super Blackhawks?

I have a Ruger Blackhawk, New Model, 357, with 6.5" barrel, that although, I've never experienced a FTF, I have noticed some light indentations on the primers. I had the Hammer Spring changed, but I still have some indentations that are more shallow than others.

I've thought this might be due to the cartridge being all the way back, when it's fired, so that some of the firing pin impact is absorbed when it is pushed forward, but I don't know if that is valid.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I think the transfer bar does not transfer the fire!!??.

The transfer bar must come up between the hammer and the firing pin and the hammer hits the bar and mashes it into the primer against the pin spring tension. The hammer has a nose that sticks out far enough to keep the fall of the hammer from touching the firing pin IF the bar isn't there. The bar is put under the hammer by the full rearward position of the trigger.

IF the transfer is slightly thicker than specs.
    IF the transfer bar is slightly shorter than specs.
    IF the hammer nose sticks out slightly too far.
    IF the transfer bar is slightly twisted.
    IF the trigger realeases before it is full rearward.
    IF the firing pin is slightly short.

When any two or more of these IF's come together in the same gun, usually problems arrise. This can cause failure to fire. It can cause also cause hangfires. (!#$@%$!?)

It is worse with DA guns when shooting DA but both SA and DA can do it in single action.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

My, O My.

Maybe, the OLD Models are more reliable.

Thank You.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Super? Red Hawk

you're correct in your SRH assumption...So what can be done about it? I would assume WWG can do a reliability / action job...How do I describe the percieved problem without sounding like a moe-ron?

Quote Originally Posted by Bethell View Post
    you're correct in your SRH assumption...So what can be done about it? I would assume WWG can do a reliability / action job...How do I describe the percieved problem without sounding like a moe-ron?
    I can't answer your second question but as to your first, I'd just order a transfer and firing pin from Ruger and a Wolfe spring kit from Brownell's and install same. This will cost about $18 and will likely fix the problem. I have done several of these Redhawks and Super redhawks and they ain't bad at all to disassemble and replace parts.

Otherwise just tell the smith that it fails to fire on occasion with various factory loads. Or for freebies, call Ruger and tell them and they will send you a prepaid UPS label to send it back and they will fix it (replace parts) and return and it will cost zilch. How's that?

Default now back to the original question...

Thank you for your insight and expertise Murphy...TRUELY appreciated! And I will follow up on your suggestions. Now, back to my percieved inconsistancies of the AK Backpacker 370 gr Hard Cast...my boss said the issue may be with my rear sight moving around...the SRH rear sight does kind of float there against a spring... Has anyone noticed the SRH rear sight move (i suppose it would have to be down) under heavy recoil, or are some of my rounds loaded lighter than others?