Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haul Road Theft

Default Haul Road Theft

I need some help as well as the State Troopers. While camping in the Marion Creek Campground just north of Coldfoot, my buddies truck was broken into and we lost alot of gear.

Kodiak Outdoors KO 34 bow with a HHA adjustable sight NAP 360 rest NAP 6" counterwt.

Ranch Safari Cat quiver III with a set of gerber skinning tools, 5 Grizzlystik arrows fletched with Quikspin vanes, White/Green and tipped with Magnus stinger 2 blade heads

Stevens SS/Syn .22 mag rifle

9mm. auto pistol, looks like a glock its my buddies and I dont know what it is really.

If any of you guys see anybody with new toys like these, do some checking. They were up the haul road middle of last week. I want these worthless, gutless, dirtbag poor excuse for a man wanabe hunters brought before the law.
    Thanks for the assistance.

Man I hate thieves!! I would keep an eye on Craigslist of course and if I stop in to any pawn shops down here I will take a look around. My friends asked me why I put a locking hard toneau on my truck since it would make it a pain to remove if I needed to haul something like a wheeler. This is precisely the reason theives tend to be opportunists and look for obvious loot rather than take a chance getting busted without a sure pay off! I assume they smashed a window to access the truck?
    I hope you get your gear back and hopefully the troopers put some real effort in since weapons are involved.

That just sucks. What freakin lowlifes would do something like that? Don't exaggerate by calling them hunters, they're #$%^& lowlifes who used hunting as an excuse to steal.

Sorry to hear it, hope you catch them.

Sad.
    I still can't understand why people would do this. Low class
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Was hunting up off of the Steese last year for moose and caribou and had the trucked parked off the road about 150 yards on the other side of the river. Came back from hunting that day and someone had taken pot shots at my truck and blew out the back window. Luckily nothing stolen but a lot of wet sleeping bags and spare closes from the rain.

I feel for you. Wish I was there. I would've shot back!!

Default thieves

There must be a market for stolen bows...mine was stolen out of my Jeep last week. Taken while it was parked in my driveway, just feet from my front door.

I've been checking the pawn shops around Fairbanks every few days. I'll keep a look out for your stuff as well. Craigslist is another spot to keep an eye on.

I feel your pain.

-Patrick

I'd love to see thieves rounded up, lined up, and shot. Just something that I'd pay an admission for.

A friend of mine was NOrth of Atigun this year ealy in the spring and while he was sleeping someone stole his bow that was on top of the truck.......Thats pretty F'N ballsy If you ask me.Even the dog didnt wake up.

Default bait

Im heading up the haul road next weekend. I'll make it a point to set my bow on top of my truck and hide close by with a 12 guage full of rock salt. Might not get everyones stolen items back but it will scar the sh*t heads who do crap like that.

Default Must be a desperate thief

If you going to steal, you must be very desperate, if you going to pay all that money for gas, and etc. to get there. But, on the other hand, I guess it must be worth the risk and cost of doing it, and it must pay off.

Anyway, it doesn't make sense, but if you gonna steal from me, make sure you are aware of the risks in doing so.

I suspect a local or locals living or working in the area. They would have more of an axe to grind with vehicles parked on the road and not concerned about fellow bowhunters. They have access, opportunity, and personal separation. 99.9 percent of all bowhunters that I've ever known wouldn't think of planning a hunting trip, spending hundreds of dollars on fuel, driving hundreds of miles, to steal other hunters gear.
    Driving up to steal hunting gear is too much work for your average city thug.

Default Keep them close

All i can say is... keep them close while hunting. They don't take much room room in tent or shelter, don't give the thieves ANY eye candy. If it means that much to you, keep them with you. I keep all firearms, bows and rods in my camping gear or tent to prevent any looky loos trying for a free hunting/fishing device.

Default Camara

A friend of mine had a problem with scum breaking into his camp, and stealing stuff. He put a cable at the entrance of the driveway. Then he install trail camaras, he even put one in a bird house. Long story short, nice pictures the second time. Game even.

Default More Info....

No one mentioned 907bigboytoys.com. They have a place for stolen items and also it is a lot like craigslist. I will also keep an eye out for the stolen property here in Fairbanks.

I had my camper broken into in north pole, and among many things stolen was my wife's hoyt bow. I had the troopers come check it out and filed a report, a lot of good that did. I talked to the pawn shops and they told me that they will not buy bows because most of them that they used to buy were stolen. so your bow will more likely end up on the internet or in the news paper. you might check with the tradio program here in fairbanks, a lot of stuff gets sold on that program. I can't stand people who steal.

Default Home Owners Insurance Helps

Well no luck with finding my bow, its probably on display in Wiseman. Did I say that out loud??? I hate it when that happens. Just a bit of advise for all you hunters. If you have home owners insurance, it will cover theft such as this. Or mine will at least. I have to cover the $500 deductable, but I get a brand new bow with all the fixins for $500. Everything I lost, but brand new. It sucks to have to pay it but heck, I guess I needed a new one anyway. For you guys who dont own homes, renters insurance will do the same depending on the policy of course. Its a good idea to plan ahead as our toys aint cheap. Just FYI

It would be fun to nail them in the act!

Default haul road

it sounds like there is a lot of road side theft along side haul road I would think that state troopers would set up stings in areas of high smash and dash, it might be just a couple of guys proficient at what they do looking for a easy buck, there like the bear a opportunist looking for a quick meal and we all know how to catch a bear bait them!!!!!!

Can some one recomend a good archery guide from past experience?

Default We need some more trickery

I am one of those people you just don't steal from - never had anything disappear yet, but have had some suspicious types marching past my tent after I had left it on a few occasions, luckily I was scoping my tent from a hill above and watched them look over my stuff closely but leave it alone, I assume to come back with a 4 wheeler or something to cart it off? Or maybe I am just too cheap to steal from... not enough good toys back at camp... Anyhow, I now make it a point to camp out of sight and in places that are hard to access with vehicles/easy stealing devices...

I also encourage people to slip off from camp, making a show of leaving, and then double back and keep an eye on your camp for an hour or so... if we catch a thief in the act from time to time, word will spread that it is a dangerous profession. I do this from time to time and think it just might make a difference if Alaskan hunters get a reputation for doing this kind of thing... make it random... come back early sometimes... set alarms inside your tent, tie a monofiliment wire to your cheap but expensive looking item and leave it on the truck hood while you sleep, rigged to set off a noisemaker or cheap noisemaker champagne bottle...(like you see for new-years fireworks etc)

Are we being paranoid if we do all this? apparently not!

Quote Originally Posted by Limetrude View Post
    I am one of those people you just don't steal from - never had anything disappear yet, but have had some suspicious types marching past my tent after I had left it on a few occasions, luckily I was scoping my tent from a hill above and watched them look over my stuff closely but leave it alone, I assume to come back with a 4 wheeler or something to cart it off? Or maybe I am just too cheap to steal from... not enough good toys back at camp... Anyhow, I now make it a point to camp out of sight and in places that are hard to access with vehicles/easy stealing devices...

I also encourage people to slip off from camp, making a show of leaving, and then double back and keep an eye on your camp for an hour or so... if we catch a thief in the act from time to time, word will spread that it is a dangerous profession. I do this from time to time and think it just might make a difference if Alaskan hunters get a reputation for doing this kind of thing... make it random... come back early sometimes... set alarms inside your tent, tie a monofiliment wire to your cheap but expensive looking item and leave it on the truck hood while you sleep, rigged to set off a noisemaker or cheap noisemaker champagne bottle...(like you see for new-years fireworks etc)

Are we being paranoid if we do all this? apparently not!
    The whole "slipping away from camp" sounds good initially, but if I ended up catching someone intending to rip me off I do believe it would be a life threatening/ending event for them. Then it would not be a good outcome for me either. This is a thought that I hate to even entertain. I have had my vehicle broken into on 3 different occassions and have had camping gear, camera gear, fishing gear, stereo, speakers, ect. taken. I never caught any of them, but thought about what I would have done if I did. Again, the scenerios that I played out in my head never had a very good outcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast