Thread: Any reviews on the STI Mud Trax?

Default Any reviews on the STI Mud Trax?

Just wondering if anyone hase any reviews on the new STI Mud Trax tires? They look good, just wondering how they compare to a Mud Lite or a Mud Bug?

They are awesome tires, i have them on my 6 wheel ranger. Its darn near un-stopable. You cant beat them for the price. I also love the sidewall treads and the large load rating they have. I had ITP 589 on my last ranger and they were ok but they were to hard on the dirt roads. The mudtrax ride good on the road as well as work good in the swamp. Even the guys from hatchers made some good comments about them.

I just bought a set of these yesterday and am having them mounted and will try them this weekend. They look like they will do good.

Hmmm, they look like a cross between Mudlites and SwampWitches. Where did you guys get them and how much were they?

Anchorage Yamaha, $400 a set for 26x9 and 26x11.

I thought those might be the tires i saw there 2 weeks ago, Those tires are actually made by ITP, that's what Steve told us anyway.

They do look like a good all around tire, I'm torn right now. Mud Bugs, Gators, or the Mud Trax for my Yammy 450.

These tires are great! I took them through some serious bog tonight and they just kept pulling. Even on my little '95 Kodiak 400, they cleaned out and got me to areas I wouldn't have seen on my stock tires. Even with a heavy load (me, 2 quarters of moose and another bag of meat, plus gear) they pulled me through some really boggy slop. I'd highly recommend these tires! They don't slap on the hard gravel, and they pull like crazy in the mud.

they seem like OK tires ...at $100 each they are definitely a bargin compared to others that can be had locally....

I have only 300 miles on them and they seem to be falling apart a bit....nice chuncks out of the tread and a few patches of rubber missing out of the side walls (most likely from crawling around rocks)...they are pretty soft as well and the tread is showing more wear than I expected....

I am not happy with them in the thicker mud as they clog up pretty easily, if there was a little water in the mud they did ok cleaning....the sidewall tread does help a little though....they did prevent winching on more than one occasion this fall....

I use them on a Ranger and only the front tires are showing wear so it is probably the extra weight of the Ranger beating 'em up a bit.....time will tell how they hold up...one thing is for sure, they are not nearly as tough as the 589's..they do ride a bit nicer though....

So far I don't regret getting them as they are a nice upgrade to the stock tires, it just doesn't seem like they are going to last all that long....but they were cheap so I couldn't ask for bullet proof...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

The Mud Trax come in 2 different models, one is a regular Mud Trax and the ther is the Mud Trax XT, the XT has taller lugs, the regular Mud trax lugs are shorter than 1" and would probably be okay on trails but dont look so good for mud. The XT's look pretty tough. I looked at em last week here locally at NPS.

Mine say Mudtrax X/L and the lugs are about 1 1/8" deep, they are pretty aggressive for a smooth riding tire and seem to clean good.

Quote Originally Posted by fishslayer View Post
    Mine say Mudtrax X/L and the lugs are about 1 1/8" deep, they are pretty aggressive for a smooth riding tire and seem to clean good.
    Yeah X/L is what I meant, those look pretty tough.

You can buy these tires from VIP for 60$ each if you know someone with an account there....they are great tires. They will support some serious weight ...I hauled huge loads of gravel in my Ranger and they worked good...

I just went out and checked my tires again as most seem so like them....they are wearing very quickly......the tires are just far too soft....they are the XL's and are decent or the price, at least while they last...lol
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default Good in GA

Im in between the mudtrax and the zilla. the zilla has about 1/4 of an inch less tread that the xl's but they both work well down here. better price too.

Default Tire wear!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    I just went out and checked my tires again as most seem so like them....they are wearing very quickly......the tires are just far too soft....they are the XL's and are decent or the price, at least while they last...lol
    I admit I love ITP 589's and will not buy anything else. I also admit that I look twice at other tires that "look" meaner or "tougher." The 589's from a looks standpoint do not have that "wow" factor, but IMO they are hard to beat for general overall performance and durability.

I've also never understood why everyone comments on the "ride" factor of a tire. You're off road or on a dirt/gravel road. You're in a UTV or wheeler it's not a cadilac. Unless you're in Arizona and the machines is street legal and you're going 50+. I've never experienced where a "stiff" tire like the 589's at speeds up to 30 mph was a problem.

Just my two cents. I've said it once and I'll say it again, bottom line is that any aftermarket mud/snow tire is better than stock.

VIP is no longer, they are now Redden Marine...and we happen to have an account

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Mirage View Post
    You can buy these tires from VIP for 60$ each if you know someone with an account there....they are great tires. They will support some serious weight ...I hauled huge loads of gravel in my Ranger and they worked good...
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default Buying Tires, Where?

So how does one get a membership to Redden Marine?
    Where else is a good place to buy nice ATV tires/wheels without paying an arm and a leg?

I'm not sure what Redden requires since we already had an account with VIP. You had to be a business with a current business license and fill out an application.

Quote Originally Posted by cessna_ak View Post
    So how does one get a membership to Redden Marine?
    Where else is a good place to buy nice ATV tires/wheels without paying an arm and a leg?
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"