Thread: Continuing Bear ?'s

Default Continuing Bear ?'s

Hey there,

This fall will be my second year of trying to bag a bear. Last year I tried several times, unsuccessfully, to bag a black bear, and this spring a nasty stomach infection killed my shot at a PWS bear. (If it idn't one thing, it's another)

This year I would like to continue my hunt for a black bear, or even a brown/grizz. I start UAA next week, and due to that will be regulated largely to weekend and late-week hunts. I would like to bag my first big game animal in a spot/stalk or similar situation. (Don't have the money/time to do a transport drop off, fly-in, or boat hunt)

I just had a couple questions regarding where/when to look. Don't want to intrude on anyone's hunny hole/way of doing things, just would like some info so I can get a decent shot at a bear this year.

-Anyone even tried the Lost Lake area for black bear? It's been interesting me as a backpacking trip and I'd love to know if it's a viable hike/hunt area as I've been told it's a fairly do-able weekend hike.

-Also, is the area around Delta Junction fairly densly populated with black/grizz? I might be able to sneak out of school for a few days in Sept. and was wondering if glassing the fields up there would be a good way to get on a bear. Also- is most of this area accessible by foot?

-Berries. Is now too early? I've seen people saying they're late, people saying that they are there now. Should I start searching for a berry bear now, or wait a few weeks?

Any/All info is really appreciated guys, I'm going to do my best to get some kind of big game this year

Thanks again,

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Default kenia mountains

your best shot on foot would be in the kenia mountains try off of the resurection trail on the hope side. As for delta im takin the second week of school off to go chase moose up there. depending on where u go u will see alot of pressure from moose and bou hunters. plus u can figure at least one day each way for travel. i would suggest trying down around the cooper landing kenia lake area or through moose pass. close cheap easy to do in a few days. i had looked at doing the same thing myself but ended up working out this moose trip

If you can finagle a trip to Juneau, and give me notice, I'll take you out and show you bears. Understand that I am just a local who loves to hunt. I AM NOT A GUIDE!!! I would take you as a friend, with absolutely NO compensation.
    Having that out of the way, I just love to hunt bears.

I will never forget "My First". Of course the above isn't it, but many later. pm me if it's an option.

Thanks for the info guys! I will probably end up giving the Kenai Mt./Penn. a try. I guess it will just be a matter of waiting for the coats to thicken and finding time/people/bears/berries

Akviking- Thanks for the offer Really appreciate it, sent you a PM.

Once again, thanks to all of you who offered your wisdom/insight/advice. This year I'm gonna get me a bear!

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!