Thread: Seward or Whittier?

Question Seward or Whittier?

What's the best guess for silvers on the troll & mooch this weekend? Any guesses? We're going to try Pigot Point, but someone rumored silvers finally showing in Seward. What do you guys think?

Doug
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Be prepared to try both. Another good thing is to watch other boats. Sunday we were trolling in Pony and did great with silvers compared to people that were mooching.

It's a toss up right now. I would lean towards Seward just because I know the silvers are there. Just getting them to bite is the thing. Whitter has been slow this year. And I have not heard how the silver action been at pigot for a while now. Unless you plan to go out further in Whitter that I would say Whitter.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Whittier

I am renting a boat in Whittier this weekend to go see the sound from that side and hopefully get a few silvers...shrimp, and rockfish.

Anyone willing to provide general areas to look at? Main Bay? Eshemy Lagoon?

Where are the fish now?

Whittier
    I would start @ Pigot and then over to Surprise Cove.

Seward
    Caineshead and Calisto Head.

Bullelkklr...PM me and I`ll give you some rockfish info.

Tried trolling Pigot 4 days ago. Notta. Passed by quickly yesterday on my way for shrimp and halibut, still no sign. I didn't go out very far so I can't report on other areas. Limited on halibut (8)in the 25-45 range, and 6 gallons of shrimp(whole) in 5 hours, so the day was successful. Good luck!

Any recent reports from Pony? Is it still pretty hot there?(fishing of course) It's a tough choice Pigeot could get hot at any time and is not as far but if there in Pony then maybe that's the place to be?

Pony was ok. Outside the bay was better then inside.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default lost

I am at a loss for what I am looking for - obviously cannot cover even a small portion of the sound in 1 day....never done it before...what am I looking for? Birds? Surfacing fish? (for the silvers)....

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I am at a loss for what I am looking for - obviously cannot cover even a small portion of the sound in 1 day....never done it before...what am I looking for? Birds? Surfacing fish? (for the silvers)....

I would start by looking for a flotilla of boats and go from there.

Bullek,
    Yes, flotilla of boats! ...And radio chatter from them, if you hear someone hailing another and you know what channel they are on, switch over and listen in. Most people won't flat out tell you a specific spot to fish, even in the ocean. I will tell you Pony cove is obvious and very publicly know, but that's in Seward. Whittier I think is difficult to pin down a specific place and timing is everything. Exploring coves: Surprise, Culross Passage (long bay in Culross), those are classics.

ANGLER: BigBob
    TRIP DATE: 8/21
    REGION: Prince William Sound
    WATER: Seward
    SPECIES: Silvers....Not

REPORT: The Water had been kinda rough outside the Bay but today wasn't bad. On the way out we searched for the elusive Silver bullets and couldn't find them. Pony Cove was the only place we picked up 1 Silver for 5 People. We then headed out to the backside of the Chiswells to pick up our nice limits of Lings, Yellow Eyes, and Blacks ... My Source in Whittier tells me the Silvers are not in there either.

[AOJ: This week's PWS ADFG Weekly Fishing Report says Whittier area reports that silvers were being caught just outside of Passage Canal. So maybe they aren't too far from showing up closer to port by this weekend.]

Thinking of heading to Seward this sunday.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

If I was going to catch rockfish and ling cod in the Chiswells how far would I need to go? Further from Seward better? Just find some underwater structure and start jigging? Thinking about doing some Silver fishing tomorrow and it would be great to have a backup plan if the Silvers aren't biting.

There is a good possibility of going to Whittier if reports from Seward don't improve. How far South should one travel looking to get into good yellow eye and ling cod fishing. I haven't done much fishing in PWS, but have heard you need to travel a ways from Whittier to find spots that aren't overfished.
    Thanks

Thumbs up I'll report

Full report on monday. If we do well, I'll post some pics.

Have a great outdoor weekend!

Doug
    how to act in public

Default Friday

Wife and I fished around Fox Island and the Narrows for halibut today. No butts, one ugly Irish Lord............Gave up and trolled around Thumb Cove a few times. One silver. Talked to a few other boats that stayed in the bay, not much on them either. I DID see quite a few boats near the docks trolling the North end, but couldn't see any action. Maybe they were doing better. Good luck on your trip. The Silver are bound to come in close sooner than later.

Red face Whittier Report

We (2 boats) hit the water 8:30 on Saturday. The weather was great and the water was flat. I was using downriggers at 40 & 50 feet. My buddy was using down planers. We started at Pigot...nothing. Went to South Culrose & North of Main Bay....2 pink takedowns, nothing. East side of Culrose.... nothing. South Esther Passage to Lake Bay.......Nothing. West side of Perry Is. ..... (fished for) Got some rock fish. Back to Pigot......Nothing.

125 miles in 12 hours, no silvers. Beautiful water & scenery. Still wouldn't trade it for the world.

A bad day of fishing still beats a good day doing almost anything else!
    how to act in public

Well, looks like this weekend I'll be in PWS doing a whole lot of nothing. But it does beat work.

Default same here

2 boats - 1 stayed in pigot - he got 1 silver and 1 pink and some shrimp

We caught 3 pinks near the mouth of Eshamy - had a couple more takes. Also released a couple sea bass that were small. Got about 3 gallons of very tasty shrimp.

I couldn't believe how the water laid down for us.....it is some gorgeous country.

Default Whittier Saturday 23rd

Main bay 2 Silvers, 1 pink, and legal Ling Cod while trolling at 35'. lost two-three silvers, all in about 3.5 hours, hit Lone Island for Butt no action, made way to Ester Island and passage, nothing, then pigot last 1.5 hours nothing. But the water was great and weatrher turned Awesome, Can't complain