Thread: 325 wsm

Default 325 wsm

I just got my reloading equip set up again and working up a load for my new 325. What would be a good primer for this thing. I can not find my books, so I did a download for loads but it did not have primers. I am thinking large rifle primers, CCI200, WLRM

Good rule of thumb - if your loading over 60 grains, go with a magnum primer. I use CCI 215 Magnums when loading my 270 wsm.

I think you're on the right track with the standard large rifle. I have used the 60 grain rule also actually mine was 65 grains but in that 325 it is a little larger bore than most other large capacity cases and will use moderate burning rate powders. I think you'll find the standard rifle will get the job done at any charge level unless you go to spherical powders like H414 or H450. Stay with the RL-15, H4350, IMR 4350 and you won't need a mag primer. In fact I saw accuracy drop off with mag primers and SD numbers to go higher in the 325.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by idahotrophyhunter View Post
    Good rule of thumb - if your loading over 60 grains, go with a magnum primer. I use CCI 215 Magnums when loading my 270 wsm.
    I think CCI's mag primer is 250 and Federal's is 215, I'm sure that's what you meant but either way a mag proabably works better in the 270 WSM even with the same capacity as the 325 because we use slower powders which are more difficult to ignite. You probably use 4831, RL-22, etc in the 270. I haven't loaded the 270 very much but have spent lots of time with the 6.5 WSM and it works better with mag primers and RL-22.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default powder

Thanks guys,
    I have some of the data from the download and it says h414 is good powder and so is h4350 so I guess I will try h414 and mag primer and some loads with h4350 and reg rifle primer. Guess the same one I use for the 06 should work with h4350 and CCI200. I do need to find my books but they are probably in another box. Got a sheep hunt coming up and this is the rifle I want to use. Just hate buying ammo when I have all the stuff to do my own.

once again thanks

AKFred, just curious, what bullets are you going to load up for your 325? I'm a newby reloader and have only loaded 220gr GK's so far. Once fired nickel brass, WLRM primer, IMR 4007 SSC powder. 1.5 inch 5 shot group avg. 2740 fps.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default 325 bullets

I just did some 200 gn accubonds and will probably do some 180 tsx tonight or Saturday. Will hit the range on Sunday to see how they shoot. I need to do some 338 also before Sunday so I can just shoot before moose season. I will post after shooting to let you know how they do.
    Last edited by AKFred; 08-22-2008 at 08:19. Reason: spelling

Default 325 loads

I am also using once fired nickel but have some new unprimed that I will load also. Using 215 primers with 62 gns H414. I will switch to H4350 and a large rifle primer, sorry not sitting in front of my bench so I can not see primers. I do not have a crono yet but plan to getting one.

My bad - Your right I use Federal 215 behind 65 grains of R22 and 130 partition in the 270, wsm....I take it you guys are using a bit faster powder for the 325 - maybe somewhere in the re 19 area?

Default .325 wsm

I have been working up a load and shoot 210 yards from my rest.

Looks like with 200 Gr. Accubonds, IMR 4350 I will use std. large rifle primers, much better groups than using mag. primers.

CCI 250 mag. primers were giving me a vertical spread groups, the Win. std primer is a lot better.

I shoot 5 shots one after another from a cold barrel, I have 3 shots within one inch then two that open the groups up to 3 1/4", I do this time after time.

I am doing this out of a Kimber Montana.