Thread: advice appreciated

Default advice appreciated

Hi Folks,

A group of us are visiting for the first time late Aug.

We are looking at hiring a guide on the Kenai (RB and Silver if any are still around)for a day or so and then winging it on our own from there. Is this a good idea. Will the guides have a problem with this if we only do it for one day.

We obviously would be better off having one several days, but it gets pretty expensive quickly.

Any suggestions on guides would be appreciated also.

Thanks to all in advance.

I highly recomend Alaska Troutfitters in Cooper Landing. Billy and Dusty will put you on fish!!!

http://www.aktroutfitters.com/

Default guides

My wife went with http://www.kenaifloat-n-fish.com/ a couple years ago and caught many BIG rainbows on the upper river. Great fun. I have never fished with Troutfitters, but have heard positive reviews from many about that operation.

My dad and I used http://www.alaska.net/~jwsalmon/ for silvers on the lower river a couple years ago and were happily impressed with Jim's skill and congeniality.

One day trips are fine - the guides do this all the time. Good luck!

RFM

Try D-Ray Personel Guide Service
    http://www.d-ray.com/

Or Reel Adventures
    http://kenaireeladventures.com/default.aspx

billy and dusty at troutfitters are great as well as shane dan and dominic at alaska clearwater adventures. I have used both and quality outfits
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Thank you for the info.

Does anyone have experience with the the Kenai Wildlife Refuge. Is this open to all, or do you need a guide? Are we just as likely to be successful in other areas as this area or is this known as good water?

We are really at the mercy of what we hear from the people we contact and those that respond to these posts. Any help/guidence you can provide is appreciated.

What about sidearms and bears. Do most carry firearms when fishing?
    I understand that the odds of attack are remote, however, if we show up and everyone is carrying protection, I will be spending more time worrying about staying between two of my buddies, than fishing.

Thanks again,
    Lee

The refuge is the part of the upper river from the ferry crossing or also called sportsman landing. It is where alot of us launch our boats. It extends down to I believe skilak lake. I pull out at Jims landing just above skilak lake as i dont run my raft down the canyon to often. It is open for all to fish as long as you have your fishing liscense. Bears are plentiful this year but as the slamon runs fall off and fall hits I do not see near as many as i do in june july and august. I dont carry a gun but all I have to do is jump in my raft and float away. A shotgun or a big pistol can be of help but commen sense goes alot further. There are a few places in the refuge you can walk into and fish from the highway and have good fishing. One of the most popular spots is mile 57 hole. Mile marker 57 on the highway has a gravel pullout parking area. You can park there and walk about 1/4 mile into the kenai river. There is a nice trial but waders are needed. If the water is down like it should be later in the year you can wade accross it there and fish the main channel of the kenai and the back channel that runs around the island. I always land there and fish both channels. I just park the boat on the island and have fun. If you float this part of the river first and as your guide about these walk in areas they should tell you where they are too. You do not need a guide to fish in this area walking in or if you know someone with a boat or raft. Feel free to ask any and all questions you have as all of us on here are pretty good about helping out and there are quite a few of us that spend most of the month of september on the exact part of the river your are talking about. If you can though I HIGHLY suggest take a guide for 1 day. See the gear that is being used. Beads, leeches, floating line, strike indicators etc etc. It is a very simple set up once you have seen it. It will make the other days you explore by yourself much easier. Just my .02 worth

Oh and the guides dont care if you only use them once. Troutfitter is an amazing outfit like was said as well as alaska clearewater adventures

If you want to go fishing I could recommend several outfitters. If you want to to go catching then I would go with Reel Adventures. I have fished with John several times and he is great.

http://kenaireeladventures.com/default.aspx

Default Thanks again

I have spoken to a few that were suggested. Is it typical that there is 4 to a boat? If so, it seems this would be pretty tight, especially for a novice with a fly rod(me). I am assuming we are better off buying patterns up ther correct?

THanks again

Quote Originally Posted by 1st timer View Post
    I have spoken to a few that were suggested. Is it typical that there is 4 to a boat? If so, it seems this would be pretty tight, especially for a novice with a fly rod(me). I am assuming we are better off buying patterns up ther correct?

THanks again
    It's very typical. Don't worry about your fly casting skills when fishing from the boat as all you are doing in the boat is flipping the line and letting it drift along beside the boat. You will most likely be fishing beads under an indicator. It is so simple anybody can do it. When you stop at gravel bars to fish you will be flycasting. But you will have a lot of room so don't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    It's very typical. Don't worry about your fly casting skills when fishing from the boat as all you are doing in the boat is flipping the line and letting it drift along beside the boat. You will most likely be fishing beads under an indicator. It is so simple anybody can do it. When you stop at gravel bars to fish you will be flycasting. But you will have a lot of room so don't worry.

Ditto on what Drifter stated. After about 20 minutes drifting in the boat you will have no problems. 4 to a boat is normal but they drift boats offer nice room. Very very seldom is there and issue with room or tangles. You will be fishing beads as dave said im sure and trout fitters and kenai cache in cooper landing carry every color and size you can imagine. Once on shore you fly cast a bit but it is still a flip and drift and they guides that have been suggested to you are all great people who will help you out and show you how it is done. We all had to start the same way you are going to and trust me. You will remember the day forever and if the bite is anything close to what it usually is make sure you bring your cameras.

Chuck

I'm kind of partial to Drifting on the Fly. I have been out with Scott a couple of times on the Kenai. He does a great job. I have never been disappointed, and just when I think he will not top our previous trip, some how he provides us a better trip than the one before. I'm bias, but Scott is one of the hardest working guides and will get you onto fish.

http://www.driftingonthefly.com/

Default Thank you.

We have heard that the Canyon trip in the refuge is really enjoyable. Does this give us any better chance of being on fish, or just a different area? Any and all advise is appreciated. We are going with the Guide on Sat. then winging it on our own for the rest of the week. We plan on bringing nothing but blue skies from Cleveland.........if that fails, it has rained here on occasion