Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you take a quartering-to shot?

Default Would you take a quartering-to shot?

Here is a question to ponder for all you bowhunters. What do you think of taking a quartering-to shot on big game animals? For many of the my fellow arrow-flingers, it seems to be taboo to even consider such a shot angle. For others, they say they have no problem with it...to just put the arrow in front of the shoulder to exit out behind the off-shoulder. Thoughts?

God bless.

Fr. Joe
    HuntingForGod.com

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

for me is a no go... I am not sure enough with my bow on the large animals.. i like to know for sure it is going to go down with minimal risk of loosing it.

I've thought about this some with my upcoming sheep hunt. If it were at 15 yards or less and the sheep is likely to spot me, I would take the shot. If the distance were further or the sheep was likely to walk by without spooking, I would wait for a better opportunity. I would not take such a shot on an animal larger than a sheep or a deer.

Super close go for it. Average real world shot no way.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

On a moose/caribou yes, on a bear no way. Of course a lot of the decision has to do with other aspects of the circumstance - distance, terrain, folage, shooter ability, etc...
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Is it quarting away or towards you? I love quartering away shots.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Quartering towards you.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    On a moose/caribou yes, on a bear no way. Of course a lot of the decision has to do with other aspects of the circumstance - distance, terrain, folage, shooter ability, etc...
    Agreed on the bear, however caribou are to easy to move around to risk a gut shot! I don't know what it is about there diet or physiology but there is nothing worse than a gut shot bou!
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    I was asking myself the same question and thinking back, especially on critters that have paused a split second before gaining lots of elevation quick a quartering away up hill shot is quite common and effective(IMHO).

Thought a "no go" on quartering towards was a given, kinda like a head shot at 500 yards on a critter running.
    BHA Member

Quarting away I love cause I will come up there front far leg and a few inches onto there body. Never fails. Quarting towards you??? UMMM most likley not. Depending on angle and other facts I would have to wait this one out.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

If you have kids grab one of there stuffed toy animals and check out various shot angles using a knitting needle to track arrow path, it's next too impossible too avoid a gut shot on a quartering towards big game animal until they are for all real purposes broad side.(For the love of your higher power don't do this in front of your kid) Also your target shrinks dramatically. A gut shot critter in the lower 48 where quick clean up and processing is available isn't nearly as serious as one 4 days float from the nearest road.
    BHA Member

I have to agree with Rick P, the target area is real small but I wouldn't put it past me to shoot ONLY if the animal were VERY close. In fact, if he is that close then I probably am going to get busted before I get a shot off anyway so no worries. Any other time, I would wait for that broadside shot. Ya know, now that I think about it, even when I have had a quartering to shot they have always ended up in a broadside to quartering away opportunity for me. Am I the only one this happens to?
    Loving God, Loving People, Loving America--Serving All Three

Nope, And those Who would, Just failed the class, back to school for you..

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    Nope, And those Who would, Just failed the class, back to school for you..
    On which part of shooting the animal????
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I have taken a full frontal shot. I did not work to well although I did get the moose. The arrow went a bit low to misjudging range. The arrow barely nicked the front leg creating a cut about three inches long and a half inch into the meat.

This made a slight blood trail that I lost in the dark and picked up again the next day. The moose only went about 200 yards at night and I caught up with it at first light. Jumping it out of its bed and hitting it twice on the run before it made it to cover 50 yards away. The running shots were in the hump and through the middle of the belly.

The moose stopped 10 yards into the trees and I was able to take my next shot at 10 yards slightly quartering toward. I thought it would be a good shot to take with a bear razorhead to slice through the lungs. The arrow hit the led bone and bent the blade and penetrated about to the near side of the rib cage. Of course and bent broadhead just stopped on the first rib it hit.

I took another three blade replaceable blade head and walked to complete broadside and double lunged the moose. I then walked up to the quickly dieing moose and thanked him for providing my family and apologized for the bad shooting.

The front leg bone of a moose is a massive I just had one stop a 41 mag 250 grain hardcast from entering the chest. It also stopped the arrow in the story above.

If you miss that leg bone you are home free but if you hit it you just made a bad shot.

--

I may do a little experiment in the name of knowlegde. Will post results soon.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

RMiller
    If your going to fling a bunch of arrows at different angles at a Moose then do a necrotopsy I want in!(Necrotopsy=autopsy on already dead experimental subject)
    BHA Member

I did not go that far.

But here it is. This is what a quarter to shot has in the way.

This is the front leg bone. As you can see the scapula is down and I am shooting the bone through the nuckle and just below. This right where a just below centerline of moose shot would be. I had to have the leg upside down to get it in position on the target right.

One shot through the nuckle and one just below and one through the bone itself.

Remember this is a bone only,no hide and muscle.

------
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is the penetration. One head actually hit the target, one did not get out of the knuckle and one the tip came out.

The other arrow alone in the target is a shot from the same 7 yard distance.

My arrow have penetrated caribou scapula and bounced of the opposite side of the chest along with going through a double lung moose so I know they penetrate well. They are around 550 grains. 28 1/2 inch 7595 gold tip with a 75 grain muzzy and 135 grains added with the gold tip weights. Velocity is between 220 (for a 600 grain arrow) and 260 (for a 405 grain) that I have chronied through this bow. I would guess around 230 fps at 550 grains.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    Here is the penetration. One head actually hit the target, one did not get out of the knuckle and one the tip came out.

The other arrow alone in the target is a shot from the same 7 yard distance.

My arrow have penetrated caribou scapula and bounced of the opposite side of the chest along with going through a double lung moose so I know they penetrate well. They are around 550 grains. 28 1/2 inch 7595 gold tip with a 75 grain muzzy and 135 grains added with the gold tip weights. Velocity is between 220 (for a 600 grain arrow) and 260 (for a 405 grain) that I have chronied through this bow. I would guess around 230 fps at 550 grains.

Wow! Thanks for all the cool pics. Just like the Muzzy commercial...bad to the bone!

Fr. Joe

HuntingForGod.com

Default quartering to shots

I really hate the potential bad from a quarter to shot. Miss even slightly in any direction and there will be massive bone that is deflecting your arrow. The animal is also watching you, so is likely to jump the string and move your arrow impact. Better letting a trophy walk than letting him walk with a wound from a poorly taken shot. Also very important to consider is that on a quartering to shot the animal is already aiming AT you. Even with a perfect fatal shot the death charge is going to put it in your lap... My lap isn't big enough to comfortably sit a half ton moose or toothy/claw-y bear in. Whether the animal is aware of you or not, the results of a full speed impact are going to be ugly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast