Thread: Buckshot Questions

Default Buckshot Questions

Buckshot In Alaska
    1st off can one use buckshot on deer in Alaska? I will be hunting on an island in PWS and have been told that the timber can be thick in parts as was thinking that I might not be a bad idea to have one of the guys in the group w/ a scatter gun. What would the pros and cons be for its use on the island if you can at all I have not check the regs yet. Thanks for your ideas and time

I would suspect that the efective range would be limited to say 10 yards or so. I shot a black bear with 00 buck at about 3 yards and it was very effective, but those pellets sure lose energy fast. A would stick with your favorite rifle.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by lasthillbilly View Post
    Buckshot In Alaska
    1st off can one use buckshot on deer in Alaska? I will be hunting on an island in PWS and have been told that the timber can be thick in parts as was thinking that I might not be a bad idea to have one of the guys in the group w/ a scatter gun. What would the pros and cons be for its use on the island if you can at all I have not check the regs yet. Thanks for your ideas and time
    I've got a bud who has used nothing else for deer for the 30 years I've known him. He grew up using it back east somewhere and knows it well. He really likes hunting timber and brush and is good at it. I've been on the range with him when he was testing loads, including handloads. I don't remember the details, but with the best combos he was delivering very usable patterns out to 40 yards or so. If memory serves he could get at least half of the pellets into the vitals of a deer at that range. My limited experience with factory loads and chokes sezz that was darned good performance for 00. I do remember him saying that he got special buckshot screw-in chokes from Briley, and that was a big part of his good results.

Default It's not very good

Do a pattern test. I drew vitals on cardboard and started at 10 yds. I think you will be surprised at the results. I worked my way back to 40 yds. Under controlled conditions, there are very few pellets in the vitals. I had the best results with #4 buckshot. I know everyone gets hung up on using #00 and #000, but you have to do the test and then try to think about an actual hunting situation and using it. Also, the chances are high that pellets will hit non-vital areas and now you have a wounded animal. Personally, I wouldn't use it. Just my .02...

The point in using a shotgun for deer hunting is for making quick, short range shots in dense wooded areas. A shotgun is by no means a replacement for a rifle, but in a thicket, theres no way a rifle can compete.
    Down south...(i know...) white tails are taken at ranges of 75-100 yards with buck shot. I dont think the black tails are that much tougher. Sure, you dont have a huge concentration of pellets in the vitals, even from a controlled shot. Its not designed too. How many pellets do you get through there with a rifle? You only need one. Thats the main reason for the scatter. In the field, you will not have "the perfect shot" and are probably shouldering and shooting quickly and you point of aim may not be exactly centering the vitals. That stray pellet may be the one that makes up for your off-center aim. who knows.

Would I be the "extra guy in the group" to carry the shotgun on the hunt you described... NOPE

Default Buckshot

Great tool for harvesting any size deer. I will agree with Stanly on this as you need to pattern the gun if you do anything..chokes play a huge part in this as well as the size you are using. Without going into details here..try #4, OO and 000. You are talking about 30cal pellets with the OO and as stated it only takes one in the right place to down bambi..to easy. Smooth bore verses chokes are going to be your challange here. If you are like me, you have more shotguns than you need and need to pick one you are going to use and stick with that,,or play with them and see which one patterns the best out to 40 yards. I have hunted some of these islands in the past and can tell you it does get thick in there but there are also some great spotting areas and you would probably be better off with a rifle for obvious reasons, I would use a low power scope or opens sights as well as some of your shots can be close. I have almost stepped on these deer and for some reason they do not act like whitetails I have hunted for over 25years. Good luck and let us know how you do...What island are you planning on hunting... I might be able to help you out with some follow on information.

Best of luck

The funny thing about those islands, and even the very small ones off the bigger islands is you can go from very thick timber/moss to meadows where you have the potential of 200 yd shots.

In the intances where you just have the time to raise the gun and get off a shot at running game, you still have to aim, and a rifle works just as well as a shotgun.

I think you'll find the benefit of the shotgun in some limited instances is more than offset by it's short comings. And I have considered a coach gun w/ 00 for just those situations

Really the best way to hunt those islands is to get out of the thick stuff, get up high, and glass.

Staying down low in the thick stuff trying to kick them up is a great education in how those deer are very adept at avoiding you, and much better equiped to evade you. Been there done that.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

Staying down low in the thick stuff trying to kick them up is a great education in how those deer are very adept at avoiding you, and much better equiped to evade you. Been there done that.
    And that's the fun for me. 200 yards away? Start stalking. Just my way of doing it.

I haven't used buckshot, but would not hesitate for my kind of hunting if I didn't already have a rack full of muzzleloaders, handguns and peep sighted levers in antique calibers. My use of buckshot would be predicated on research and trials to maximize performance and learn the range limits of my combo, then respect the limits.

Actually sounds kinda like fun.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the thoughts and insight you guys have put out there for me and my group!!! We will be on Hinchinbrook Island in mid Oct. Going by boat so weight will not be much of an issue so i will bring the scatter gun along w/ 300wsm (for the longer shots) I do hope to get a little bit of brush and long range shots, but with the bears out there hope to find more open views ( dont want to be noes to noes w/ brown fur) If any one has been out there and have any info i would love to have it. thanks again ya-all Christian.

Default Savage Model 24 "the world's most useful gun"

An old dilemna solved well (IMO) with a Savage model 24 combo.

I use a 20ga 22mag combo for Squirrels and bunny's, different scale, same concept

I know they are also made in 223/12ga and 30-30/12ga and currently in production as the 24F. Retail for around $600.00

EAA also produces a combo, and includes .308 or .30-06 over 12 gauge. and reatails for around $500.00.

Default My 2 cents

Leave the buckshot at home and take a rifled slug barrel. Shoot rifled slugs. You will have enough knockdown to make a charging bear think twice and slugs fly fairly straight through the brush. 200 yards is pushing the range of a slug, but as always with practice you can shoot effectively @200 yards with a slug gun. Black bears will be available to hunt for a non-res and you can take a blackie with the slug at the same ranges as a deer. I personally would not shoot a bear with buck shot.

I used buckshot on one deer hunt. I put three, 3 inch, 00 bucks in a doe @ 30 yards standing still--broadside. She got away. I have never used buck shot again, nor will I. Bad shot--maybe, I have never had one get away with a slug @ 30 yards.

good luck with whatever you choose, and post the results of your hunt.

The buckshot would be fun. I like to use a handgun for the close deer.

I dont see any advantage to having a shotgun with buckshot over a rifle though. I dont believe I have ever come up on Sitka Blacktail that I could have shot with a shotgun that I did not get with a rifle.

I have shot 20 Sitka Blacktails and that is not many for most up here who deer hunt.

What I have used:

338 win mag 2 deer

300 win mag 7 deer

22-250 4 deer

223 1 deer

454 casull 1 deer

44 mag 1 deer

41 mag 2 deer

9mm 1 deer

bow 1 deer

Sitka Blacktails are the Spruce Hens of the deer family. They are tasty but not too smart.

-
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Never in 10 years of chasing white tails have I seen or herd of anyone shooting over 20 yards with buckshot and I've seen many hit deer lost do to poor penetration and pattern. The stuff is almost completely useless unless your clearing a room of gang bangers. If your concerned about hunting in the brush use open sights on a real rifle. Seriously why use a bird gun(or tactical assault weapon) on large game........sort of, I've seen puppies that were bigger than the average black tail.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    I've seen puppies that were bigger than the average black tail.
    Dang that would be some puppy!!!!!

I've weighed a little over 200 blacktails between my own and a couple of friends. All field dressed, does and bucks. Haven't done the math recently, but I don't think the average would change much from what it was when I figured it after weighing deer No.150. Our average field dressed weight at that point was 104 pounds.

What kind of dog did you say that was?

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Dang that would be some puppy!!!!!

I've weighed a little over 200 blacktails between my own and a couple of friends. All field dressed, does and bucks. Haven't done the math recently, but I don't think the average would change much from what it was when I figured it after weighing deer No.150. Our average field dressed weight at that point was 104 pounds.

What kind of dog did you say that was?
    St. Barnard and more importantly where are you hunting? Not doubting you and my experience with them is limited but even in photos I've never seen a dressed sitka black tail over maybe 70#. Heck my friend Alex cooked a whole spike buck in the oven for thanksgiving one year. He cut it at the base of the spine and folded it up....looked like a big turkey.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.