Thread: Spotting Scope?

Default Spotting Scope?

Looking at getting a spotting scope. But what magnification do ya'll suggest, since I will be using it for a sheep hunt. Im Eyeing a 20x60x80 but it seems really big to have in the pack. Any other suggestions out there? I can't afford the zeiss or swarvoski just looking for magnifaction and objective lense. Thanks

leupold makes a small spotting scope that is 15-30X50 for about $400 and then one that is 12-40x60 for $800.

I found a really good deal on a 20-60x60 nikon fieldscope. It weights 2# but has pretty good optics. There is another smaller fieldscope that is right at about 1#. I think it has a 50mm objective and a 15-45 zoom. Not going to get too much lighter than that.

Quote Originally Posted by slickmcit View Post
    leupold makes a small spotting scope that is 15-30X50 for about $400 and then one that is 12-40x60 for $800.
    A price range would be a big help but I think you may find some good information just buy looking through the old threads in the outdoor optics forum.

Default Nikon Pro-staff 15x45x60

I bought a Nikon Pro-staff last year for a Desert Sheep Hunt for about $400 and it worked great. Eye relief was fine for my eyes, I am 30 with 20-20 vision. My brother bought a swaro and between the 2 of them I wouldn't drop the extra $2000 for it. I packed it all over the place with a full pack as well..
    You really need to look into a great tripod, I think a great tripod is more important then a good scope. If it is windy at all it doesn't matter how good your optics are.
    Manfrotto makes great tripods and you could expect to pay into the $100s for them.
    "Give someone a fish and you will feed them for a day. Show someone how to fish and they will just steal your fishing hole and catch more fish then you. Screw them, let them eat chicken!!"

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    I found a really good deal on a 20-60x60 nikon fieldscope. It weights 2# but has pretty good optics. There is another smaller fieldscope that is right at about 1#. I think it has a 50mm objective and a 15-45 zoom. Not going to get too much lighter than that.
    I have the larger Nikon ED82 and the small ED50 that ways just over 1lb. Its hard to beat the size/weight/glass combination of the ED50. Its what I pack the majority of the time.

Check out the Pentax glass, moderator Snyd advocates it and has really done his research.

I have Pentax binos and my hunting partners (not just me ), felt that they compared very favorably in the field to the expensive European glass that you mentioned. This is perhaps somewhat anecdotal but hopefully gives some credibility to my vote for Pentax in general.

I have one of the older Bausch and Lomb 15-45x60 spotting scopes which is 26 oz. It appears to be virtually identical to the Nikon Spotter XLII 15-48x60 which may be a good option as the B&L isn't made any more.

Seems like a lot of times the heat waves mess up your view a lot beyond 45 power anyway. So why carry a huge scope? Not to sidetrack, but maybe others have ways of overcoming this?? HH