Thread: Kawasaki Brute Force whats the Good Bad and the Ugly?

Default Kawasaki Brute Force whats the Good Bad and the Ugly?

Have been pondering the idea of getting a new wheeler and have decided that it must have IFS in the rear. I was thinking about the Arctic Cats and the Yamaha Grizzlies when today I stumbled upon the Kawasaki's. Man these things are impressive, a 750 machine that weighs 600 lbs has diff lock, a auto tranny, IFS front and rear and disc brakes. Cant decide if I really need the 750 over the 650 but am looking at both. So whats the skinny on these Brute Force quads, are they any good? Been a long time since I have even heard anyone say the word Kawasaki?

Default Brute Force

I have two kawi's, a 750 brute force and a prairie 650. I have had the 650 for three years and the 750 for 2 yrs. I had to change out the swing arm bearings on the 650, but it is five years old and has seen very hard use without any other problems. I bought it used, so the maint could have been neglected before I owned it. The 650 has been a work horse and is just a working machine. I have used it to tow a trailer into the Ferry trail and haul my camp and a moose out. I probably overloaded it a bit, but she sucked it up and carried the weight all the way out (prob over 1000 lbs). I am very happy with both machines and would buy another without a thought.

BTW, my wife is a first time rider and she has been riding the 750 and loves it. She does like the 650 a little bit more cause it not so tall and does feel more stable. I read that the '08 brute force is not so tall and a little bit narrower. My friends are all jealous cause I can fit it over the bridge to the Ferry trail and they can't fit their arctic cats. I have a friend who just bought an '08 brute force if you want more info. John

Exclamation Brute Force

I just sold my 2006 Brute Force 750i. I didn't sale it because I didn't like it but because I upgraded to a Ranger. For the most part I really liked my Brute, it had plenty of power for climbing the steepest of hills (something I couldn't do with my old Honda Foreman). It was very comfortable to ride, either sitting or standing (I tend to stand most of the time when I ride), and the locker is a definite plus. It had a great digital instrument panel that was very easy to use (unlike the Polaris instrument panel). On the downside of this machine it is a gas hog, I could only ride about half of the distance that I could ride on my old Foreman. It is very heavy, which means it gets stuck more (this is partially due to the 4x4 selector that can be easily bumped out of 4x4). The winch mount location is very low on the front of the machine, which means when you are stuck it is usually buried in the mud (unlike the Polaris). Overall it has pros and cons just like every other machine; you have to weigh those out for yourself to see what is most important to you.

i have a brute force 750 and the only reason i would get another is to get the new fuel injected one. you realy have to be a dumby to get it stuck. i had bought one in like january or february to get a good deal on last years and had an ignition modual, 28 inch mudlites, a clutch and a winch installed for realy cheap. i can beat about any wheeler that pulls up next to me and have never got it stuck. it pulls anything and is actually pretty quite. floats pretty good to. i know a guy who has had his 06 with 27 inch tires on it with no clutch or anything and does great. go to brutecentral.com then see what you think. the only thing that would ever rival it would be a outlander and they are like 12000 dollars with no extras. mine was about 8. i figure if you put 4 grand in a brute you would smoke any outlander. i love it plus the new ones have dry storage now.

on a side note we have had rhinos and rangers and they are fun if you like going slow and having a roof but they fall apart. they are much heavier than a regular 4 wheeler but built with the same 4 wheeler parts. i know a guy who we have had to go rescue miles out in the woods on at least 2 occasions because he broke differentials and what not, and thats just what we have seen. if it were up to me save 4 or 5 grand and put a cab on your wheeler. parts for rhinos are expensive kand they dont go half as many places.

Default Brutal!!!

"you realy have to be a dumby to get it stuck." Are you serious? You must not be riding any technical terrain. I now have a Ranger and have gone through the same places that I could not get through on my old Brute Force. Before I had my Brute Force I could go through those same sticky places on my Honda, no problem. The Brute Force is a very heavy machine that DOES get stuck more than other machines no matter what your ridding capabilities are.

Quote Originally Posted by akhilljack View Post
    you realy have to be a dumby to get it stuck.

on a side note we have had rhinos and rangers and they are fun if you like going slow and having a roof but they fall apart. they are much heavier than a regular 4 wheeler but built with the same 4 wheeler parts. i know a guy who we have had to go rescue miles out in the woods on at least 2 occasions because he broke differentials and what not, and thats just what we have seen. if it were up to me save 4 or 5 grand and put a cab on your wheeler. parts for rhinos are expensive kand they dont go half as many places.

First of all, I've been riding for 15 years up here, and if there's one thing I've learned, its EVERY machine will get stuck. Its just how far you go before you get stuck. The Brute, isn't unstoppable, infact, far from. Its heavy, and has less ground clearance than my Ranger. Why would it suddenly be less likely to get stuck?

As for Rangers and Rhino's being slower, you must ride with some older, or less experienced riders, because I know several Rhino riders who will hang with quads. And my RZR Ranger has gone every place a quad has, and usually just as fast, if not faster.

As for side by sides falling apart, well every machine has had its issues, thats true. Just like the Brute Force had that pesky tie-rod recall.... Side by sides, Also known as UTV's are just as reliable as 4wheelers. If you take care of them. Abuse them, and they'll fail, like anything else.

OP, look at the Honda Rincon. Its got the best handling, and best ride of any of the big bore ATV's.

Go with the 2009 Polaris 6x6 It is sporting a 760cc engine and 6 wheel independent suspension (plus the rear bed is rated for 800#s!)
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I have to agree with AKmud. Once you learn to ride the 6x6 Sportsman, not to many places will be off limits. The extra axle make a huge differance.

Some of you guys need to check the current specs on some of these machines before making comments. The Brute Force is not heavy at all, as a matter of fact in the 750 it weighs a mere 50 pounds more than my Honda Foreman 450, the same can be said about the Grizzlys' 700 though they are right at 600 lbs which is even lighter. On the flip side the Polaris machines in the similar cc range are a BUNCH heavier.The Polaris Sportsman 500 weighs 731 lbs, The Sportsman 800 is almost 800 lbs, and most of the Polaris machines are a ton heavier than their competition in cc size in the other makes by a bunch. The 6X you guys are reccomending weighs over 1,000 lbs, and thats way more machine than I need. Its absolutely amazing to me that they (all the ATV manufacturers) are making machines with sooo much more power and more advanced drive trains and yet in a much lighter body, of ciourse.......that is with the exception of Polaris.

Granted, Polaris ATV's, and snowmachines for that matter, are heavy compared to others. They all have heavy frames. They take a beating and last longer than other models. For those of us who cant afford to buy a new machine every few years it is a blessing. I am NOT trying to start a brand war. Just many years of observation.

Cub,

It is all about what you will be using the wheeler for. I absolutely love my 6x6. Yes, it is heavy, but the extra set of wheels make up for the difference. I don't get out and hot rod much anymore, these days I am more interested in how much I can haul and where I can go with it (99% of the time I'm crawling around at 3-5 mph in low range ). If you want a sporty machine, the 6x6 isn't for you. If you want something that can haul an entire moose AND your camp at the same time, take a look at them.

There is nothing better out there (that I have seen) for climbing up steep hills or getting up out of a creek than the 6x6. If Honda offered one, I'd probably jump on it due to the reliablity of the name.

I wouldn't try this with your average 4 wheeler - (a full 59" moose along with a lot of camp gear on this machine)

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I absolutely agree the 6x's have their place, just not for me. I am more than happy towing a meat trailer, and having a more nimble machine for sidehilling and mountain use. I am leaning hard on either the new Grizzlys or a Brute Force, got to sell my Honda first, we'll see when it comes time to buy!

yes with a turbo and nitrous a side by side could probably hang with my brute 750 in a strait line but never in any kind of turning situation. its so simply about weight and power. you lose so much manuverability not being able to lean or position your body somewhere else on the 4 wheeler to get over or around something i know you cant do that on a rhino. i have beat so many in so many different situations. i have ridden a few different wheelers in my day and for the money the brute will always get my vote. it is around 600 pounds and is as fast as i will need for a 4x4 4 wheeler. it is the best al purpose 4 wheeler for around here. if you know what you are doing you can make it through almost anything with a 750 and your right if you go 2 mph you may get stuck all over. than again you dont need to be worried about getting stuck if thats how you ride you would get stuck if it had 1000 horsepower and weighed 100 pounds with tank tracks. i have been ridding for long enough to know that its mostly up to the rider. the 4 wheeler is only half. i just dont think with the amount of money these things cost any more it would be money well spent to limit your self right off the bat. i ride this thing all over and it rides good gets great gas mileage comparativley and it is built pretty strong. side by sides are trendy at best and in order to make them useable they will end up as big as a truck and there for not useful for the intended purpose that such a vehical was intended as getting in tight trails and being easy to up keep and fun. you will spend more time fixing and getting those things unstuck than ever riding them.

better yet go borrow one and try it dont jsut take my word for it. i would never give my 750 up.