Thread: first time moose hunting any help?

Default first time moose hunting any help?

we will be taking atv's with a trailer into unit 13 to moose hunt around the second weekend of september and was wondering any stratagies you all have for hunting moose this way and what you like to bring on the trip back in with you. We will be bow hunting for moose and to fill my tier II permit for caribou no rifles except for the grizz jamer for protection. Do you call this time of year or is it early or do you smack the trees acting like a rutting bull ? I know basically we will be perched up high looking with the spotting scope but where would be a good spot to look the marshes? and at what time would be best at sunrise? I have picked up copies of is this moose leagal and field dressing big game so we are good in that aspect but just wondering any "tricks of the trade" methods you might use to make life a little easier on yourself as this will be our first time out for moose and are not looking for a monster just looking to fill the freezer. thanks for any and all help you are willing to share feel free to p.m. me if need be Thanks

Calling may be effective this early, but much of Unit 13 (particularly those areas with caribou) lend itself to spot and stalk. Getting high and spotting the lower areas is a good idea. Morning is best, but folks have taken plenty of moose in the middle of the day. Late evening is good as well, but often you'll just get a glimpse of one right before dark. As long as it's not spooked, though, that'll be a great place to try in the morning. Be prepared for plenty of company.

I must admit that it's interesting that you have a Tier II caribou permit yet have not spent time in Unit 13 watching, observing, and hunting moose.

Default Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post

I must admit that it's interesting that you have a Tier II caribou permit yet have not spent time in Unit 13 watching, observing, and hunting moose.
    I was wondering the same thing, how does one get a Tier II tag and has never been moose hunting before, or scouted the area? I guess some are more lucky than others. I think I would be going after caribou and not moose if i had that tag.

Default Moose tips

Calling is a great idea; give it a try!

In terms of the time of day, most of the moose we've killed over the years were shot between 9am and 11am. Another good time is from about 5pm until dark. They're not a "crack of dawn" animal, as bears are.

Best of luck on your hunt!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

this is mearly a question not intended to start anything ( did that come out of my mouth) but I don't understand.....

how is it your first time moose hunting AND you qualified for a Tier II I don't Qual. and i been here all my life. grew up hunting unit 13...have 6 kids, self employed make less then the national average for the criminally insane.... and live more then a few miles of a grocery store.... I used to but then they changed the system and i cant score high enough.....whats the secret???

WOW this can't be real!

i simply asked about unit 13 moose hunt and then get questioned about a tier II bou permit I hold shhhheeesss well here's is your answer I plan on hunting a different area in unit 13 rather than hunting lake louise for bou where moose are few and far between and though about changing it up a bit and hunting with my uncle this year and he hunts this area and said there may be a chance for a moose too. as far as my tier II I answered each question truthfully I had 5 people living in my household on dec. 31 07 which put us above the cut off for 4 members. We had an income level of $66,000. although I have not hunted this area except for last yr, I have eaten meat from this unit since I was born (30yrs.)which the question asks how many yrs. have you hunted OR eaten meat from this unit, But yet i get ridiculed for simply answering a question truthfully what gives? I haven't hunted for moose ever I've heard lots of stories and finnally am gonna give it a try and was hoping for some advise (which some people gave Thank you) but instead it gets turned into people mad cause I read the question correctly on the application and got a tier II. Thank you to the people that answered some of the questions and gave advise keep it coming and please include some stuff you bring into the camp that might be essential thanks My bro and uncle are going for the moose I'm going to fill my tier II and if legal a moose to. I'm not sure if it's legal to hunt for caribou with my tier II and then take a moose after anybody know?

The Tier II caribou hunt is not connected to the sport moose hunt. You can take a moose either before or after your caribou without concern. Best of luck to you.

As for the responses above, I don't think anyone is mad at you. I think there is a lot of frustration (and anger) at the Tier II system, but we can't very well blame the folks that benefit from the system. Good luck, and may the caribou be plentiful.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

06 Not upset and not ridiculing... was curious was all... in part because how you posed the.statement... and Brian is right. the Tier II system is messed up and leaves a lot of people up set.. honestly i quit applying about 5 years ago.. when my scores answered correctly brought scores in about 69-70 way to low to bother... i used to qual. every year under the old system and it bothers some to not have access any more.. the new system is bother some to me and i don't want to hunt how they tell me... WHY???? do i have to salvage the hide now???? i don't like hair soup i pick it all out. any way like i said below i did not ask to start an issue just curious...

Thanks for the answer.
    Vince

calling might be effective if the moose hasn't been called in or at before, sometimes in busy areas they stop responding to call and will be pretty quiet, or small young bulls will be makin' all the noise and responding. Target your caribou and keep one eye out for some moose.
    ahhh teir II....mabye obama has a plan for that too?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

By the way.. Do not be afraid to wave a WHITE t-shirt,paper towel, Wendy's napkin while approaching the caribou.

Hold it near your chest and flap it a bit. See if they come to you.

Thanks guys I know it's not directed tords me and the system is defintely flaw I was very surprised to see that I got the tierII on the first try last yr. and even more suprised to see it again this yr (not braging just saying)especially since I was the only one in the 4 people that i hunted with last yr that got one this yr and they have been getting them for yrs and yrs. it's defintely flaw so they choose to hunt the tyone this yr for moose and said that they will help get my bou too. I said sure and they told me they will bring a gun for me and I told them na I will use my bow and they said no you are gonna need to shoot it with a gun and that's when I told them have fun hunting for your moose then. I will not have someone dictate what I kill my animal with no way no how. I would love to get a moose and a bou so I could show up at there door eating a moose burger and snacking on bou sticks and tell them I guess you should learn to shoot with a bow. My brother and I will be both bowhunting and riding into the field and camping out for 4 days while my uncle will hunt with a rifle and stay at the road and drive in to the field everyday. any point in getting a horn for calling or should I just cup my hands? good advise thanks keep it coming. Do you think it would be a good idea to buy or rent an electric fence? we will have a shot gun but concerned about the meat pole and night time sleeping. I've had bear run ins up at clear creek and it wasen't a good experience, I was even looking into build one myself but don't know where to look locally for the charger and lowes carries the poly tape and then I just need to find some short tent poles for cheap.

Default moose rifles?

I'm from North Carolina and me and some buddies are going moose hunting this year for the first time. You all have any suggestions on rifle calibers?

Quote Originally Posted by NCVirgil View Post
    I'm from North Carolina and me and some buddies are going moose hunting this year for the first time. You all have any suggestions on rifle calibers?

You can do a search for moose rifles but the search does not work for me. Use a 30-06 or such.

Also you will get more replies and less flack for hijacking if you start another thread with this question.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by NCVirgil View Post
    30-06 has killed more moose than any other but basically any caliber from 30-06 up, I like 300win mag, lots of folks using 308's and 338.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Moose

Spot all day long from above (stalk when you see a legal one)and call at last and first light.

Terry

How about scraping the tree's between calls?

Default Unit 13

Been moose hunting unit 13 for the better part of 20 years. I have seen many bears while hunting, but have never had one in camp. If you keep a clean camp, be aware, and respectful of their land, you could probably save the money you were thinking of spending on a fence and buy a few rib eye steaks to enjoy over some coals while you are out. As for calling, I can't say as I have ever called one in, but it doesn't scare them away. Good luck and have a good time.