Thread: looking for pattern to make my own holster

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

Default looking for pattern to make my own holster

I,m looking to find a pattern so I can make my own 7-1/2" single action holster. See I've got this buck skin and...

Can't help with a pattern, but I would thing buckskin would be on the light side...
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Buckskin too soft

Vance is right, buckskin is too light and soft. It will stretch out and not hold its shape. I know because I've been there. Some good cowhide or even harness leather will do much better. Actually, I think the best pattern is the gun itself. I made a "formed" holster for a S&W 19 by wrapping the gun in several layers of saran wrap to keep the moisture away, wet the leather I had roughly shaped and formed it around the gun. When it dried, the shape remained. It wasn't perfect, but wasn't too bad. I added a safety strap and finished it up. Had it until I sold the gun.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Black Elk Leather in ANC has everything you could possibly need including patterns. Of course by the time you buy everything you need to do the job right and have it look nice you could probably aford to by two new factory made holsters.........................
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Tandy Leather In Anchorage sells Al Stolman's holster patterns.
    Or, I can help you with a pattern if you tell me what you need.
    You MIGHT be able to laminate that bucksin to a piece of top grain if you just have to use it. Some holster makers use buckskin for linning on their holsters- it tends to hold grit though.
    Send me a PM and I'll trace something out for you, gratis.
    Rob
    simplyrugged.com

I've got several factory holsters lined with deer and two I made myself. I've never noticed any problem accumulating grit, but that probably reflects my terrain.

Laminating is no big sweat. Just follow the directions for using Barge rubber cement and use a roller to press the bucksin onto the saddle leather.

As for "form fitting the leather to the gun, try this in addition to the procedures mauserboy described. Once the leather is soaked and sandwiched around the gun, lay it lengthwise on a 25 pound bag of shot, then lay another bag of shot over it. When it dries it will be a real nice fit. Beware of getting it wet again or you're likely to lose the shape. Better idea is to apply a commercial finish to the leather to sort of waterproof it after you're through sewing.

I'm happiest sewing if I use an awl to punch the holes, then use a double needle stitch. It's easier to keep the seam good and tight that way, plus it produces about the toughest stitch I know of by hand. Good looking too.

Thank you Brown Bear, and others for the response; guess I've got some descisions to make based upon some great suggestions and advice...Thanks again.

Just looked at the Simply Rugged sight...The first thing that I appreciated was that the sticthing wasn't white. I like that darker leather with dark thread look very very much. Yes I'm new to this sight, and no, unfortunately I'm not in A.K. However, I am a hunter at heart and this is the first year I'll be hunting with my Blackhawk in 45 Colt. I need a holster that is chest carry, and I realize that the long 7 1/2" Bbl is a lot to stuff into a holster of this type. Leahy, is there a way to build the harness integral to the holster on something like the "long hunter" model with that dark hide and dark stitch?

Looks like we've changed the requirements a bit. I have two tapes on making holsters. The first is from Tandy and is HOLSTERS by Dusty Johnson, a pretty basic how to do simple holsters.

The other is a three tape set: John Bianchi presents THE ART & SECRETS OF ADVANCED WESTERN HOLSTER MAKING; CONCEPTS, DESIGN AND CRAFTSMANSHIP. This was put out by Gun Video and Tandy Leather. I'm sure the concepts could be used to make what ever style holster you need. It seems there's an exchange where Magill says something about how John Bianchi makes it look easy. Mr. Bianchi replys he's been doing this for a few years. This is a very good set if you want to learn about making your own holsters.