Thread: sponsors/phishing

Exclamation sponsors/phishing

I have been roaming this site for quite some time now but today my internet security (trend-micro) started blocking sponsors because it shows them as links to sites associated with phishing scams. Does anyone else have this issue or know anything about this I should add that the sponsors are not being blocked on the main page with the list of forums, just the individual forums themselves.
    Last edited by akiceman25; 08-20-2008 at 15:34. Reason: clarification

I am not having any issues with it at all
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Interesting. I don't know why it's happening to you, but as for the difference between the forum home page and the sponsors within the forums themselves, that can probably be explained by the source of the ads. The banner ads on the forum home page and some of those at the top of the forums themselves are placed there internally by companies that advertise directly through us. The other ads are placed here by Google adsense. Apparently there is something about these Google ads that your internet security system doesn't like. You may have to contact them to determine the nature of the problem and if there is anything that can be done to address it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Interesting. I don't know why it's happening to you, but as for the difference between the forum home page and the sponsors within the forums themselves, that can probably be explained by the source of the ads. The banner ads on the forum home page and some of those at the top of the forums themselves are placed there internally by companies that advertise directly through us. The other ads are placed here by Google adsense. Apparently there is something about these Google ads that your internet security system doesn't like. You may have to contact them to determine the nature of the problem and if there is anything that can be done to address it.
    If you look under the tools section in your Internet Explorer browser there may be a "Phishing Filter Settings" drop down that you can adjust to fit your surfing security needs. My work has their own filter and there is nothing that can be done by the user without admin priveledges I also can't view many pictures that are hosted by sites like photobucket from work which has left me trying to figure out what more than one thread is talking about, untill I can get home and let my self in on the visual aids. This is especially painfull on stories of successfull sheep hunts!

Haven't had any issues since my last post in this thread but now its back. All sponsors are showing up as being blocked by trend-micro internet security. Saying it is spyware this time. Is there a chance that the site could get hi-jacked without mods knowing? very strange...

Notification: Phishing Warning here is what my internet security is telling me....

[quote]Suspicious Web Site Warning

What caused this warning?

This warning opened because your Web Site Filter noticed that you have tried to open a potentially threatous Web site, or that the Web site you have tried to open has attempted to redirect to you to a potentially dangerous Web site.
    What to do now

Heed the warning and close this Web site immediately and never open it again. Opening the Web site, clicking links on the page, or downloading software could expose your computer to spyware. You also run the risk of falling victim to a phishing or pharming scam.

Copyright 1995-2007 Trend Micro Incorporated. All rights reserved[quote]

24 hours later and it seems to have cleared itself up...strange! I made no modifications or did any security updates.

Maybe you have picked up something on your own computer. maybe some kind of adware. Its possible your security program cleans it up on the surface but it is still there and turns back on.