Thread: Furuno Electronics

Default Furuno Electronics

How are the Furuno systems working for you guys?

Specifically, does the depth sounder work while running at cruise?

I like it so far. Very user friendly. I upgraded to the 1 KW through hull transducer and am very impressed. At cruise, I can track bottom most of the time. Once I get deeper than 1000' tracking bottom becomes spotty at 30+ mph. I wish the NAVNET 3 D was available when Patience was completed. Cool stuff!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I like it so far. Very user friendly. I upgraded to the 1 KW through hull transducer and am very impressed. At cruise, I can track bottom most of the time. Once I get deeper than 1000' tracking bottom becomes spotty at 30+ mph. I wish the NAVNET 3 D was available when Patience was completed. Cool stuff!
    Did you upgrade prior to delivery? I'm just curious as to what the performance of the transom mount transducer is, did you hear anything about those before you decided to change to the thru-hull?

I agree the NAVNET 3D is a nice system.

Is your radar integrated into the plotter/sounder?

Quote Originally Posted by rmkak View Post
    Did you upgrade prior to delivery? I'm just curious as to what the performance of the transom mount transducer is, did you hear anything about those before you decided to change to the thru-hull?

I agree the NAVNET 3D is a nice system.

Is your radar integrated into the plotter/sounder?
    I talked with a couple of other owners that went with the through hull and they said it was a no brainer. One of them upgraded from the transom mount and noticed a huge improvement. Radar/sounder/plotter is all in one. I have not had to use the radar yet, but have played with it. Furuno is a huge improvement over the old lowrance system I had in the old hewescraft.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Thanks! That's what I wanted to hear about the transducers. I was going to try and go with the thru-hull from past experience. It seems the transom mount transducers tend loose bottom quicker.

I have a transom mounted sounder and it loses touch as soon as you are on step and over about 100 foot of water. Then, you just about have to come to a complete stop to get back in touch with bottom.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

I saw the new brass through hull transducer for the 3D units the other day. Real nice round flush mount unit that is only about 5 inches in diameter. This is my plan.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

The 3D product got off to a rough start. Here is a 21 page thread from the hull truth regarding what people have experienced with this new system. Pete, you may have been lucky that it wasn't out when you got your boat. It sounds like people are pretty frustrated with the new system.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/t...ode=1#M2238755

Jim

Thanks for the info.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default System is Great

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    The 3D product got off to a rough start. Here is a 21 page thread from the hull truth regarding what people have experienced with this new system. Pete, you may have been lucky that it wasn't out when you got your boat. It sounds like people are pretty frustrated with the new system.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/t...ode=1#M2238755

Jim
    Need to read the thread. Folks arn't frustrated with the system, they are frustrated with the charts. NN3D comes with the full NOAA chart set and Satalite immagery. The NOAA chart set doesn't have all the bells and whistles that Navionics, Blue Charts and CMap have. However it is free. I believe after market charts will be available for purchase in a while for purchase. The Radar and sounder are fantastic and it is very easy to use.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Default Airmar B260

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    I saw the new brass through hull transducer for the 3D units the other day. Real nice round flush mount unit that is only about 5 inches in diameter. This is my plan.
    Airmar makes the Furuno transducers and the one most in use is the Airmar B260 and the Furuno 526T HDD 1KW 50/200 duel freq transducer which is the Furuno equivilent to the B260. You will lose about 20% resolution with the flush mount over Furuno 526T. You can go to the Airmar site and look at the specs.

Makes no sense to spend a bunch on your sounder and scrimp on the transducer. Transom mount transducers are for bass fishing.
    Last edited by dtol; 03-22-2009 at 23:49. Reason: Another thought
    What-a-Day
    Denny

Default Through Hull

Quote Originally Posted by indi456 View Post
    Did you upgrade prior to delivery? I'm just curious as to what the performance of the transom mount transducer is, did you hear anything about those before you decided to change to the thru-hul
    I assume you are talking to me. I had this speced out prior to ordering my boat. It is comman knowledge that transom mount transducers do not do as well as through hull ducers and that there is a clear break in ducer quality. There are transducers for the bulk consumer market which are made to be inexpensive and transducers for the high end and professional market which are more expensive but are clearly provide better performance.

I spent the last 10 years with a Hummingbird sounder and the cheap transducer that goes with it losing bottom contact and never seeing a fish. When I set up my new boat I told my self if there was something I would treat my self to and not compromise on is the transducer for the sounder that went in to the boat.

Check out Airmar.com and look at the specs and quality ratings between models they have. Mine is performing extremely well holding bottom but I haven't had a chance to use it while fishing yet. I have a bunch of work to do learning my new boat this spring and summer.
    What-a-Day
    Denny

Default Thru Hull Installtion

I am upgrading to a thru hull 1KW transducer on my alum hull Weldcraft. Is this a do-it-yourself project or should I go with a pro? And which Anchorage outfit would you recommend for installation?

Nozzlehog

I installed my transducer. The directions for placement are clear. Finding a good spot in the area suggested can be tough depending on the layout of tanks . The hardest part was getting a fairing to meet my deep vee hull so the transducer is relatively flat with the water bottom. You can buy blanks and bandsaw the fairing blank to fit the hull shape.