Thread: Ethical Reporting

Default Ethical Reporting

I was recently on a multi-day trip with the same charter doing some halibut fishing. There were six of us on-board fishing. At the end of each trip an Alaska Fish & Game? form was being filled out documenting our catch. However, what was record was that we were catching our limit each trip. In fact, at no time did we ever catch our limit. Most of the time it was on one to three fish versus our 12 limit. When questioned, the guide said it was necessary to maintain their allocated quota. Is this normal behavior for this type reporting? Just seemed a bit unethical to me, but I really do not understand the purpose of the form.

I have heard many people give a different location on where they have caught there fish. Many feel they don't want to give up there secret spot.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Conagher View Post
    I was recently on a multi-day trip with the same charter doing some halibut fishing. There were six of us on-board fishing. At the end of each trip an Alaska Fish & Game? form was being filled out documenting our catch. However, what was record was that we were catching our limit each trip. In fact, at no time did we ever catch our limit. Most of the time it was on one to three fish versus our 12 limit. When questioned, the guide said it was necessary to maintain their allocated quota. Is this normal behavior for this type reporting? Just seemed a bit unethical to me, but I really do not understand the purpose of the form.
    ADFG requires such reporting to get a grasp on how much fish the charter operations are taking. As the ongoing battle for the halibut resource continues, at times the idea of limiting individual operators to an average of their past catch has been tossed around. Nothing like that is currently being done as far as I know. It sounds to me like your guide is reporting falsely on the chance that this may one day occur. In any case, he is reporting false data, which is probably illegal, and certainly unethical. A comment to ADFG on your part might be in order.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

I promised my wife I'd avoid fish politics this year, but this kind of thing makes me so mad there just aren't words to describe it! It's guides and operators like this who make everyone look bad.

A comment to ADF&G about the specific operator and their practices would likely land the guide in a heap of trouble. If you didn't want to go that far "tattling", at the very least please be sure to fill out ACCURATE information on the angler survey that you may or may not receive after the season.

Also, did the guide have you sign the back of the log book page attesting that his information was accurate? If you did, there may be a federal problem there too. The 2008 logbooks require the angler to sign the back of the page corresponding to your halibut catch and attesting to the report's accuracy.

Charters and guides are already (for the most part) hated by commercial fishermen. (See attached image.) Inaccurate reporting of a client's harvest is something akin to taking a com-fish observer on a non-representative trip... we know THAT never happens, eh? ;-)

-Case
    Attached Images Attached Images
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    I promised my wife I'd avoid fish politics this year, but this kind of thing makes me so mad there just aren't words to describe it! It's guides and operators like this who make everyone look bad.

A comment to ADF&G about the specific operator and their practices would likely land the guide in a heap of trouble. If you didn't want to go that far "tattling", at the very least please be sure to fill out ACCURATE information on the angler survey that you may or may not receive after the season.

Also, did the guide have you sign the back of the log book page attesting that his information was accurate? If you did, there may be a federal problem there too. The 2008 logbooks require the angler to sign the back of the page corresponding to your halibut catch and attesting to the report's accuracy.

Charters and guides are already (for the most part) hated by commercial fishermen. (See attached image.) Inaccurate reporting of a client's harvest is something akin to taking a com-fish observer on a non-representative trip... we know THAT never happens, eh? ;-)

-Case
    Wow. After over 240 views and only a couple of responses I was beginning to think this was typical behavior for Alaskan Charters/Outfitters and I was way off base for even bringing up the "E" word. I will probably not report this to ADF&G; maybe best if I let you Alaskan guys & gals police your own.

Case, to answer your question: No, we were not asked to sign anything or attest to anything. We were the one's who questioned the guide after seeing him write this in the log without saying anything to us. The only thing he asked us for was to see our fishing license; using the information to fill out the log.

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    The client's signature is not required for all areas of the state.

And they wonder when SOME charters get bad reputations. I would have told him to kiss my (^%#$% and not done it. i would have also reported it. I thought it was just the tourists who were jerks??

The whole premise of the state going to ifq's for charters is wrong on so many levels, and to top it off you have this type of behaviour.

It's only in the past few years that ADF&G has required the charters to fill out the forms daily. These to me seems a clear indication there is a plan to move to IFQ's. I'd hate to see that, because charters who have been in opperation for a long time will have suddenly been granted a license for other folks to catch fish. A license that will have a definate monitary value, and a license that will prevent new folks from getting into the guiding industry w/o buying out another guides license.

Definately let ADF&G know about this.

Default report it

They will probably get caught anyway, but report it! This type of behavior isn't helping anything in the halibut world, hurts the credibility of all guides, and further deteriorates (if that's even possible) the shred of a working relationship left between professional charter operators and commercial fishermen. I am sure this is not common among the majority of operators, especially established ones. This is most certainly a criminal act. We work all winter to gain respect and credibility and we have idiots out there doing stuff like this.

Please consider reporting this to either Fish and Game or the IPHC (International Pacific Halibut Commission). Folks that are dishonest in one area like this may be cutting corners in other areas as well such as safety gear, etc. At the very least, your report will let this fella know that dishonesty does not lead to increased business for a charter captain. There are many good charters out there, and it is a shame that the few bad ones reflect on the reputations of the rest who are honest.

What the charter was trying to do was get more pounds/number of fish in his catch history so when and if they ever go to quotas he would have more pounds/number of fish caught and then hopefully he would get more quota or a bigger piece of the fish pie. Just remember that the longliners always had ADF&G fish tickets on their catches to prove what history/catch they had in a fishery, no fake fish could have been made up to get them more quota when the longline pie was cut up. That charter was just doing his best to stack the deck in his favor, not good for the clients or very fair to the rest of the charter fleet.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692