Thread: Unit 13 ATV Access Points for Grizzly

Post Unit 13 ATV Access Points for Grizzly

Since this is a huge unit, Im having a heck of a time planning a late Sept. hunt for grizzly on this. Im not looking for anyones spots, just trying to get an idea of an area(s) to hunt for the best ATV access and chance to get a grizzly. Will have ATV's Im not sure about pullouts along the highway. Will be starting in Anchorage, so I can go in either direction, Glenn or Parks. Unit 13D along the Richardson Highway towards Valdez intrigues me, but not sure about access.

I will be going after Moose season to stay away from the crowds. Just doing my part for all you Moose and bou hunters out there. Should have my blackie by then, so this is strictly to put my first griz up on the wall. And yes did a search, but didnt find what I was looking for (i.e. Access points).

Shoot me a PM. Keeping the fingers crossed that the great bear hunter BRWNBR chimes in.

Andy
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Default Unit 13

I'd look at Squaw creek trail or Ballinger Pass near Gunsite mountain. There may be a lot of 'Bou hunters in there too thou. Several years ago I chased after a brownie that was busting up people's cabins just down hill from the pass. Got close but could never get close enough. I was told that some guy's got him the next week. I seem to recall he was around 8 1/2'

There are plenty of ATV access points all across the Denali Highway from Cantwell to Paxon. Pick a trail and try it out.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

shot you a pm... you see one of those bears over there dont wait to mesure him...... you can do that at home.... to many a the dang things around any way.. camp robbing gas drinking hoodlums they are... liberal one a year limit... take a freind get to bears..... you'll be saving moose and BOu by the dozen... you can go back for the big guy once you got your feet wet...

theres grizz every year on the south side of the glenn near knob lake area, up near hicks lake as well. but i think i'd hit the denali hwy that late in the season, more options up that way for country...shoot might even find one from the road! either way great time of the year to be out. If you can fingure out how to get down onto the nelchina river i know there are good grizz numbers up that drainage as well..never atv'd down into it so i couldn't really tell ya.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212