As some may remember approx. one year ago I was on-line asking about information to book a fishing trip for my brother and I, and our teenage sons. "Fishing trip of a lifetime" type thing. We returned this week and thought I would give a a trip report.
Based on some advice from this forum, we decided on Kodiak. Planned to target halibut and silvers. We settled on an outfitter for the week that provided a cabin, boat and guide on Amook Island. Name to be provided in PM if requested.
Cabin was as expected and sufficient for our needs; however we did run into potable water issue, but managed around it.
Weather was a little disappointing; cloudy, drizzle rain the whole trip. We knew this was a potential but was hoping to see the sun at least once.
Halibut fishing was very slow, except for one 4-hr period. Fished for about 28 total hours (not including boat ride time) and ended up with just enough to fill the coolers - approx. 200 lbs of fillets. About 80% of those were caught in the above mentioned 4-hr period. Most were small - 15-25lb range, three largest were 50, 60, & 65 lbs - all caught during the 4-hr period. Lots of Irish Lords and a type of cod (not ling).
Spent one full day trolling for silvers - skunked! Reports stated silvers where up around Bear Island but proprietor did not want to travel that far. A bit irritating considering we traveled thousands of miles, and he was unwilling to travel another 10 or so miles to get us some salmon to bring home.
Did some pink/chum /dolly fishing in a few streams, though we had to provide most of the lures. We kept a few chrome one to grill at the cabin.
Fishing tackle was really sad. Circle hooks on halibut rigs were rusted and most had the points broken off. I was able to find a file and sharpen myself. One of the halibut rods would not real in and had to be hand rolled from 150ft down - by us, not the guide. Spin cast rods had mono-line that was rotten; I could break it with my hands. And as mentioned above we used our lures that were promptly broken-off with the bad line.
- Scenery was beautiful though I bet it would be spectacular on a clear day.
- Weather was what it was, and we were prepared with the proper clothing.
- Worked hard for the halibut; but we did fill the coolers.
- Really disappointed to come home with absolutely NO salmon - seems almost unalaskan.
- Also very disappointed in the quality of the fishing gear. Seems to me if you run a fishing charter these are tools of the trade and should be kept in better working order.
- Sons got pretty bored with the trip, as did I. 8+ hrs of six people fishing with only two fish being caught of the wrong species makes for a long day.
- It was an interesting experience, but I would probably not recommend this outfitter; nor do I anticipate scheduling another "fishing trip of a lifetime" anytime in the near future.