Thread: Craig, AK report

Thumbs up Craig, AK report

Always looking to see, and fish, more of this great state. Went to Craig this year, 8/15 - 8/17. The silver and halibut fishing could not have been better. We also had two nice kings (20+ and 30+ pounds) that we carefully let go with the current 48" min that's in effect. The last trip I had this good was with AKCapt about 5 years ago. That was only a 1 day charter and this was 3 days in a row!!! The weather had been nasty just before we got there but the way things lay out there is always some place to get out of the wind AND be able to fish productive water. Our last 'But was caught in glass flat water and tipped the scale @ 56 pounds. The only minor drawback is getting there. You have to fly to Ketchikan and the either ferry or float plane over to POW island. Weather can mess with you there more than the fishing.

I've made annual trips to Craig on business. I've watched the day boats come back into port and the cleaning stations at a couple of different lodges. No doubt this is a top port in Alaska for saltwater fishing. They've got pretty darn good fresh water fishing on the road system too. Sitka is not bad either, but you have a little more protection (inside/sheltered waters) out of Craig. Can't beat August for salmon, halibut, rockfish, ling, etc.

Default pics of Craig

Got tied up and took me a few days to get back and post some pics
    Attached Images Attached Images