Thread: Catch a bunch of fish?

Default Catch a bunch of fish?

Will arrive late 8/24 and depart very late 8/27 (can fish Mon, Tues and Wed).

A buddy and I would like to catch (and release) a bunch of fish.
    Trout, Salmon and anything else.

It was suggested to fly out of Talkeetna (via helicopter) to Clear Creek and float down river back to Talkeetna. $400 each. Was told creek is full of trout and salmon.

After that I was thinking about just looking for local guides while we make our way back to ANC.

Does anybody have better options (less expensive and closer to ANC) or thoughts on the Heli-charter to Clear Creek?

We have three days to fish.
    Last edited by jim77401; 08-20-2008 at 09:06. Reason: To add dates

I would bet you will be floating down the river on fish backs during that time at Clear Creek. Plus a helicopter ride would be fun.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Where (river or guide name) else would be a good place (between Talkeetna and ANC) to get a guide and CATCH a lot of fish?

Please advice.

I think Clear Creek would have the most fish. Otherwise maybe Flyfish trout on Willow, Little Willow or the other Parks streams. You could find out which ones have trout in them by stopping by Three Rivers Fly Shop in Wasilla. I dont know of guides for there though. It is easily done yourself or so I hear.

Otherwise there are many guides who float the upper Kenai.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default clear creek

I am looking to do that same trip labor day weekend. Who did you get a quote of 400 dollars from? I contacted one heli service who said it was 600 a flight and that we would need two flights for 3 people which I find hard to believe? They also said you could only go up about 14 miles because of deadfall. I really think this would be an amazing trip and maybe we could share research and i'd really appreciate a trip report as I will be doing it after you. Feel free to PM me if you like with the heli contact info, i'd appreciate it.

Armo

Default same here

I have thought about fishing that stretch as well. Please share any info you may find.

Will pm you.

Any other advice or suggestions out there would be appreciated.

Will do, Cody.

Default check this guy out

http://www.talkeetnaonthefly.com/

good guy, very down to earth, and will take you "off the beaten path"

haven't used him for fishing yet(but will soon!!) but a few "experts" told me he knows the river better than most. He taught me a little bit about the area in a jet boat!

Quote Originally Posted by jim77401 View Post
    After that I was thinking about just looking for local guides while we make our way back to ANC.

Does anybody have better options (less expensive and closer to ANC) or thoughts on the Heli-charter to Clear Creek?
    I've had good luck with I Fish Alaska (Howard) on the Deshka River (near Willow) and Rainbow River Exp (Kevin) on the Lttle Su (outside of Wasilla).

Both are $130 for a six hour trip.

http://www.ifishalaska.com

http://www.fishingalaskasalmon.com/
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Default Little Su

I don't know how the silvers are playing out on the Little Susitna, but Fisherman's Choice can put you on fish there I'm sure.

I went out with them on a Take A Soldier Fishing trip and they were great.

Ray knows the river and can probably get you hooked up.

John
    "My rod and my reel, they comfort me."