Thread: Speed bumps....

Default Speed bumps....

I stuffed some new 7-08 cases last night. I got an order in from my main supplier and in it a bag of W-W brass and a box of Barnes 7mm 120 grain TSX bullets to fill a request. I prepped the casess with a quick dip in dry lube and a neck size to true up and fit to the bullet. Next was trim to what worked out to be 2.020" vice the stated trim length of 2.025" due to a shortage of brass at the mouth. (?) Everybody is cutting back I guess! But no harm, no foul, they'll work just as well. Then deburr and chamfer the case mouth, taking care to use the long ogive, VLD, neck chamfering tool for ease of enty with these bullets. Next came primer pocket uniforming then priming with Federal 210M primers.

Powder charge was with a case full of H4350, having found this an excellent propelant for this small case and 120 to 140 grain bullets. It should give a velocity of about 3000 fps and in my guns it has grouped shots well with this combination.

What I find interesting, when seating this bullet, is it always reminds me of driving over speed bumps as the bullet is seated. After adjusting the seating die to avoid crimp and to give my desired 2.760" seating depth, putting the bullet right on the powder with a slight compression, I drove over my first set of speed bumps. What I think is important here when seating these TSX bullets is to chamfer the case mouth well and with one of the long nosed, more tapered tools to give a shallow angle to the case mouth. These are called VLD or long ogive tools and sold by most reloading tool and die makers. This will allow the bullet to be seated without shaving copper at each speed bump, this surely to be a detriment to good accuracy. Of course the tools will work equally well for all other bullet types also but are greatly appreciated with the Barnes Speed Bump Bullets.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I've a VLD as well. Good pointer!

thanks

I use a tapered bridge reamer to de-burr all my cases. Makes seating all bullets go smoothly. It's especially nice for cast bullets, as you don't have to use a Lymann M die or similar belling die to seat cast bullets.