Thread: 375 Ruger Wildcats?

Default 375 Ruger Wildcats?

Are there any updates on wildcats using the 375 Ruger as the case? Would seem a relativly easy rebore in any short belted magnum group. Been out of touch for awhile & hope to catch up.
    Thanks..

I seem to be the principle purveyor of 375 Ruger wildcats with four working models to date. I have a 338", 358", 411" and 423" bore diameters to work with. I am waiting on dies for two of these and have dies for two and have done load work up for the 338 and working on the 411. I think there is a 416 on the unmodified case and I have a design for one on my modified case but haven't had a reamer made.

The caliber seems to have been created to ream out any standard (30-06) length magnum chamber to the new and improved 375 Ruger. I have seen at least one of these that did not clean up well when recut to the 338 Ruger (Bin) but generally they will work well. Sometimes a barrel set back will be needed because of the belt area of the chamber with some rifles, depending on how they breech up.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

How does your .358 bore wildcat do? I thnk a long .358 spitzer would be pretty cool on that case.

I've heard we can expect a .416 Ruger factory round this year at the SCI convention...

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

Murphy... Was wondering about your 358/375 ruger, accuracy,bullet type and weight, and velocity. I love the .358 cal. and was wondering how that ruger case compared to my 358 wsm... 64 gr. of H4895 with 225 swift A-Frame gives me 2930fps. out of my 24" Bbl. extremely accurate. I am hopeing that you can beat me by "mmmaybe" 200 fps?

Is it unreasonable to think +/- .264-.277-.284-.308 cal are feasable? The capacity seems to be about 300 Wby mag . ( Lower 48 use)

Murphy, is there a link to your data ?

Thanks .....

PS - I've been putting together a 338/06 AI based on the discussions in this forum, will put some rounds through the finished project this fall.

There was a report in one of the gun rags awhile back about Ruger/Hornady testing the 416 Ruger. They took it on a lion in Zimbabwe or Tanzania, I think. That one will be commercialized soon.

I kind of like the idea of a 300 Ruger, based on the 375 Ruger case. Maybe a 7mm of the same case...

Quote Originally Posted by Iorion View Post
    Is it unreasonable to think +/- .264-.277-.284-.308 cal are feasable? The capacity seems to be about 300 Wby mag . ( Lower 48 use)

Murphy, is there a link to your data ?

Thanks .....

PS - I've been putting together a 338/06 AI based on the discussions in this forum, will put some rounds through the finished project this fall.

How does that compare to the 338 Federal?

.338 Federal is on the .308 Winchester case.

.375 Ruger is pretty much a slightly shortened .404 Jefferey. Pretty healthy difference in powder capacity.

I don't know how well the Ruger case would work with calibers under 30. The round would be incredibly overbore capacity- ie. Weatherby, etc.
    But I'd be interested to find out.

Default 338/06 Ai

PRDATR, if you were asking about the 338/06 AI vs 338 Federal, I'm anticipating about 2800 fps with the 210 gr partition. Might try the 230 gr Norma oryx and Rem 225 gr ultra bonded as well. If I ever get the project done.

It's good to know other folks are intrested in the 375 Ruger case. The WSM , RCM and Rsum rounds are no doubt good, but didn't generate much personal interest.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    .338 Federal is on the .308 Winchester case.

.375 Ruger is pretty much a slightly shortened .404 Jefferey. Pretty healthy difference in powder capacity.

I don't know how well the Ruger case would work with calibers under 30. The round would be incredibly overbore capacity- ie. Weatherby, etc.
    But I'd be interested to find out.
    Actually the 375 Ruger case is slightly smaller (.532") in diameter than the 404 case (.550") and it is 2.570" long. But you're right about the capacity and the smaller than 30 calibers, it would be over bore. That never matters to some folks though. The Dakota calibers are on the 404 Jeffery case shortened to about 2.570" and shoulder at 30 degrees. Both are well designed cases. The Dakota's go down to 7mm and up to 404 (.423") on that same case. The Ruger will neck to .416" OK but I don't think it would be very good any larger. I suppose anywhere from .308" to .416" it would be a good one.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?