Thread: Reloading Does Save Some Coins!!!!

Default Reloading Does Save Some Coins!!!!

Example: $1.20 for one 375Wby round if I reload but does it ever jump up in cost when I buy factory ammo!!!!! Here are some examples that I figured up which includes brass, powder, premium bullets, primers, die set and shipping. Now since I have owned all my loading stuff like press, case preparation stuff and such for years, I did not include that in my cost.

Example:
    6.30 for one 375Wby round if I buy Nosler factory ammo if I add shipping it is 6.95 a round.

Example: 4.60 for one 375Wby round if I buy Weatherby factory ammo if I add shipping it is 5.25 a round.

Have any of you taken the time to figure the cost difference??

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Just in passing when I figured the cost of reloading for my 30-06!!!!

To buy premium factory ammo like Nosler custom ammo to shoot in in my 30-06 to have close to the accuracy of my handload would cost me $2.70 a round if I include shipping. It will cost me .81 cents a round shooting a premium round that I reloaded for my Mark V 30-06 and my velocities far exceed the custom loads of Nosler. Just some interesting info that I thought might be appreciated.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Just in passing when I figured the cost of reloading for my 30-06!!!!

To buy premium factory ammo like Nosler custom ammo to shoot in in my 30-06 to have close to the accuracy of my handload would cost me $2.70 a round if I include shipping. It will cost me .81 cents a round shooting a premium round that I reloaded for my Mark V 30-06 and my velocities far exceed the custom loads of Nosler. Just some interesting info that I thought might be appreciated.
    I hear ya! I need to get into brewing my own. Shooting the 325wsm leaves me with three choices of factory rounds and only one of them are decent. It sure would be nice to take advantage of some of the other 8mm premium bullets on the market and get away from shelling out over $3 a cartridge!

Thats the reason Im going to start handloading my own ammo,its just
    to expensive to buy factory ammo today

I hear ya! I shoot a 300RUM and the cost difference is unbelieveable!

I always like being able to save macho-moocho dollars on ammunition, then I can spend that saved money.......on more guns!

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

I shoot 500 S&W, 300RUM and 375 H&H.

Using Sportman's Warehouse prices:
    500 S&W = $36.00 for a box of 12 FMJ
    300RUM = $44.00 for 20
    375 H&H = $50 - $72.00 a box for 20 (price depends on type of bullet)

I paid for my entire handloading set up in 6 months of reloading, especially for the 500 S&W, and I am able to shoot more and be a better shooter.

Handloading = AWESOME!

My entire reloading set up was given to me by my friend so I have zero invested in equiptment making it even cheaper. Currently I handload for 220 swift, 25.06, 270, 270 wsm, 375 H&H. Even if I only loadeded for anything above 25.06 it would be cheaper!!!

If I ordered Nosler ammunition for my 375 it averages close to 4 dollars a round.

Quote Originally Posted by idahotrophyhunter View Post
    My entire reloading set up was given to me by my friend so I have zero invested in equiptment making it even cheaper. Currently I handload for 220 swift, 25.06, 270, 270 wsm, 375 H&H. Even if I only loadeded for anything above 25.06 it would be cheaper!!!

If I ordered Nosler ammunition for my 375 it averages close to 4 dollars a round.
    idahotrophyhunter, reloading is the only way to go plus you have the satisfaction that your loads are more accurate in your rifle than the factory loads you have bought. I also believe it helps one understand the finer points of his rifles when he loads for them not counting the confidence it gives you in the field. Plus to know that your hand loaded ammo is going to be consistent and hit right where you aim, because of going to the range and shooting your hand loads and practicing to make sure things are right. Handloading has always encouraged me to spend a lot of time at the range.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

It doesn't save you any money, it ends up costing more. You start experimenting with different bullets, then just have to try oddball chamberings and thus by guns you wouldn't otherwise buy, etc etc.

What it does do is get you out shooting more and make you a better shot.

I popped off 55 rounds at lunch today, and will likely be sizing and reloading those cases tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    It doesn't save you any money, it ends up costing more. You start experimenting with different bullets, then just have to try oddball chamberings and thus by guns you wouldn't otherwise buy, etc etc.

What it does do is get you out shooting more and make you a better shot.

I popped off 55 rounds at lunch today, and will likely be sizing and reloading those cases tonight.

Great perspective on the whole thing!!!!!!!
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS