Thread: 30-06 Ammunition test - report

Default 30-06 Ammunition test - report

Quick bit of feedback regarding which ammunition works best through my 30-06 Howa Lighting - I just got it and needed to figure out which factory ammo worked best through it.

Over the last couple of weeks I've been using various different bullet weights and manufacturers and the top four are:

1st Place - 150GR Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertip
    2nd Place - 150GR Winchester Super X Power Point
    3rd Place - 180GR Sako Super Hammerhead
    4th Place - 150GR Federal Power-Shok

I fired all at 25m and 100m at static targets using bench-resting and bi-pods and measured the resulting groups to arrive at the above results - I hope this helps if you have one yourself!

Cheers,

Roo

What were youtr velocities and groups sizes?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheHuntingAgency View Post
    Quick bit of feedback regarding which ammunition works best through my 30-06 Howa Lighting - I just got it and needed to figure out which factory ammo worked best through it.

Over the last couple of weeks I've been using various different bullet weights and manufacturers and the top four are:

1st Place - 150GR Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertip
    2nd Place - 150GR Winchester Super X Power Point
    3rd Place - 180GR Sako Super Hammerhead
    4th Place - 150GR Federal Power-Shok

I fired all at 25m and 100m at static targets using bench-resting and bi-pods and measured the resulting groups to arrive at the above results - I hope this helps if you have one yourself!

Cheers,

Roo
    What was the "works best" criteria? Most noise, most muzzle flash, kills the quickest? Was it just most accurate? The 150 grain sivertips/power points would have different application than the 180 Super Hammerhead. If hunting moose, not much reason to consider the 150 grain rather fragile bullets.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I am partial to Federal in 165 Gr Nosler Partition. My Son shot a cow Elk last year at 305 yards with the bullet entering at the last rib and it exited out the front of her chest and penetrated the left knee. She was standing broadside and was slightly downhill. He used a Tikka M695 (predecessor to the T3). She went about 50 yards before lying down to die.
    Two years prior he shot a cow Elk at 30 yards with a 180 Gr Core-Lok. The bullet never exited and the Elk went less then 20 yards before falling over and died with a minute.
    Shoot what is accurate and what you have faith in. We shoot Cor-Loks for practice and hunt with Federals. Bullet choice can/does vary with the size of game.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/rifle.aspx

Hi all, sorry for the delay in getting back to you - had to take a short break with the Mrs - especially as I had to break the news that I'm off to South Africa again in October to her - total sense of humour failure this end - lol!

Float Pilot - hi FP, actually I don't have the means for detirmining velocity, just posted up 4 targets nod. 1-4, got 4 bowls marked the same, got my pal to select which bullet was which so I didn't know, then I started shooting lying prone at 100m using a bench-bag for a dead-rest.

I took pairs of shots with each calibre, cleaning the barrel between ammunition types and I alternated which were shot at first so each got a cold barrel and a warm one in rotation and the 'best' was the smallest grouping with the BST's winning by quite a margin.

Murphy - thanks for that - I agree. I'm in the UK though so not much in the way of a moose over here, besides, they get emotional in zoo's when you start to put your realtree clothing on! So, 150gr will do for most deer I'll come across with 180's for larger stuff and shooting overseas. Reds, Kudu, Gemsbok and so on should be fine with 180GR bullets, I've shot enough of them with 170GR in .308 so I should be ok. :-)

Prdatr - nice shooting! my .243 loves Remmingtons, right up until I screw the moderator on to it, and I was disappointed with the Federals - used the rest up yesterday and there really was no comparison again between those and the Winchesters - shame, the Federal ammo is much cheaper than the others but that's life I guess!

Talking of Tikka's - my 'other half' has decided that she'd like to actively start shooting now, rather than plinking with me at the range, and she has her eye on a .223 featherlite - more expense lol, but you can never have too many guns!

Cheers folks and thanks for your comments - have a great day!

Roo