Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good round for Tikka t3 .338 Win Mag?

Default Good round for Tikka t3 .338 Win Mag?

Just bought tikka T3 .338 Win Mag..going moose hunting, and as we all know, that can unintentionally become a grizzly hunt. What round and grain would you recommend for such a situation?

I have the exact same gun. I am shooting Federal Premium Barnes Triple Shok 225 grain, I am 3 inches high at 100 yards, dead on at 200, 6 inch drop at 300...
    That is not what the charts are saying, but I can assure you I have shot it enough!!!
    I had the barrel ported and limbsaver for butt pad, awesome gun to shoot, very accurate.
    Heading out next wed for sheep/ griz... Will let you know how the bullet performs if I get the opportunity.
    ted (PA)

Try the Federal Nosler partition in 210 grs for sheep. I would have a 250 partition or trophy bonded on top for encounters with the man in the brown suit.

I handload 225 grain Nosler partitions for moose. They are very effective. I have no concern about using the same load on grizzly bears if needed.

I've used the 250 Nosler and it did everything I needed it to do. Last year I tried out Barnes XXX225gr and they really worked well. I don't have any conclusive evidence but the XXX seemed to penetrate deeper, actually pass through shot on a large bodied bull. Have not seen that with the 250 NP. Can't go wrong either way.

KK

Quote Originally Posted by goblue View Post
    Just bought tikka T3 .338 Win Mag..going moose hunting,

I hope you mounted a scope with a decent amount of eye relief on it...grin. I'd go with some thing like a 210 Nosler Partition, it will make squeezing the trigger a bit more enjoyable. No offense but that is the hardest recoiling rifle I have ever shot.......downright nasty with heavy for cal loads!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    I hope you mounted a scope with a decent amount of eye relief on it...grin. I'd go with some thing like a 210 Nosler Partition, it will make squeezing the trigger a bit more enjoyable. No offense but that is the hardest recoiling rifle I have ever shot.......downright nasty with heavy for cal loads!
    I don't own a single muzzle braked rifle but if I had this one it would be headed to see Stan before it's first trip to the range! That and I would still put a zeiss on it for good measure (by measure I mean 4" of eye relief)! Last but not least would be to replace the hockey puck with a real limsaver pad.

Yup its nasty alright. I have owned 4 Tikkas 270 Win to 300 WM none were as bad as my buddies 338 WM Tikka. That things lays all the worst characteristics of recoil at you, it snaps, kicks, shoves and has massive muzzle jump all in one. it only weighing 6lb 6 oz and IMO having a stock that ergonomically is poor at absorbing recoil makes it a prime candidate for a Brake or Porting or both! A co-worker bought one last year and told me about it (he was all excited). I told him to go shoot it and then call Arctic Gun Works and have a brake put on it or port it. He said bla bla bla I am not afraid of recoil...I just chuckled. 2 weeks later he came up to me and was like man...you were right that thing is nasty. I just looked at him and said....told ya! You can suck it up for the first few shots but a guy is lieing to you if he doesn't admit that by the 3rd or 4th shot he's anticipating the beating more than he's concentrating on accuracy...grin

I just got a Tikka T3 Lite in .30-06 and it becomes a meat tenderizer after a few rounds of Federal HE 180s.

I can't imagine having to zero one in .338 Win.
    Now what ?

Yup - You're right on Cub. When I was in the market for a .338, I checked out the Tikka...right up until the time I picked it up and shouldered it. I thought "No chance I'm gonna like shooting this", and got a Ruger M77 instead. Love it, and the recoil is fine, albeit in a gun that's much heavier.

Back to the original question, anything from 210 to 250 grain should work, find the load your rifle likes best and go with it.

I use Swift A-Frames in 225 grain. Absolutely awsome.

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    I just got a Tikka T3 Lite in .30-06 and it becomes a meat tenderizer after a few rounds of Federal HE 180s.

I can't imagine having to zero one in .338 Win.
    If you havn't allready picked one up, a limbsaver is a huge improvement! They make a direct bolt on model that takes nothing but a #2 Philips and 10 minutes of time (along with the $30 to get the pad). I can shoot boxes through my 270WSM with a smile on my face and I am sure the '06 would be much more bearable!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    If you havn't allready picked one up, a limbsaver is a huge improvement! They make a direct bolt on model that takes nothing but a #2 Philips and 10 minutes of time (along with the $30 to get the pad). I can shoot boxes through my 270WSM with a smile on my face and I am sure the '06 would be much more bearable!
    That's my plan, but since I've only got a week before I escape Aleutian Hell to moose hunt it'll have to wait until I get back.
    Now what ?

Has anyone tried the T3 in 338WM with the Limbsaver on it? I just installed it on my 30-06 because it was kicking the crap out of my shoulder but now my buddy is thinking about the 338 for a Kodiak bear hunt. I'm almost inclined to recommend that he go with the Ruger. I haven't yet tried it on the '06 but I hear the Limbsaver it the way to go.

I installed limbsaver on my T3 lite, 30-06, it's a night and day. Almost don't feel it. But it did not bother me so bad in the first place, except if I tried to shoot laying down. I would rather carry a lighter gun all day, then have a lighter recoil with a heavier gun. That is the main reason I bought, but it also shoots excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by mmusashi2k View Post
    Has anyone tried the T3 in 338WM with the Limbsaver on it? I just installed it on my 30-06 because it was kicking the crap out of my shoulder but now my buddy is thinking about the 338 for a Kodiak bear hunt. I'm almost inclined to recommend that he go with the Ruger. I haven't yet tried it on the '06 but I hear the Limbsaver it the way to go.

Sweet. Well, I'm looking forward to trying it out now and I'll pass that info on to my friend. Thanks, vadimb.

I agree 210 noslers will get the job done.
    Paul

I have the 338 and put the Limbsaver on it. It's a pleasure to shoot with 225's.

I just installed it on my 30-06 because it was kicking the crap out of my shoulder but now my buddy is thinking about the 338 for a Kodiak bear hunt. I'm almost inclined to recommend that he go with the Ruger. I haven't yet tried it on the '06 but I hear the Limbsaver it the way to go.[/QUOTE]

Looking for this ammo? I have some that I am trying to get rid of.
    Quote Originally Posted by tedsizemore View Post
    I have the exact same gun. I am shooting Federal Premium Barnes Triple Shok 225 grain, I am 3 inches high at 100 yards, dead on at 200, 6 inch drop at 300...
    That is not what the charts are saying, but I can assure you I have shot it enough!!!
    I had the barrel ported and limbsaver for butt pad, awesome gun to shoot, very accurate.
    Heading out next wed for sheep/ griz... Will let you know how the bullet performs if I get the opportunity.
    ted (PA)

Any Nosler Partition or Barnes X bullet from 210 to 250 grains and a decent powder charge will kill it all, all day long, as long as it is put in the right place. 73 grains of Reloader 19 and a 225 grain Barnes X bullet with WW cases and Fed. 215 Mag. primers always seems to deliver the goods for many .338 users.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast