Thread: teaching Kids

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default teaching Kids

as i have never really been a trapper and know little of the sport. my kids are asking me to teach them. as i have mentioned before we have a line runs through our camp.... so my question is

where i to undertake a small line to teach the kids... what would be the best animal for them to go after? not only ease, but actual chance of catching. Beaver and water sports are out of the question for them and our area...they have gotten good a snaring the hair's in the yard and are anxious to move on to predatory animals...

ATA has a general trapping class every year I think it's in OCT. It would well worth the time to take them. They have a lot of very good trappers sharing a lot of years experience and know how. I did the wolf class a few years ago it was well worth the expense, besides it was just plain fun. Check out the ATA web site I'm sure they'll have the schedule out by now.
    Chuck

Vince,

I grew up in Anderson and currently live in Eagle River, but drive up and run my line on the Rex Trail every weekend Nov. - Feb. If you want, shoot me a p.m. and we can set up a time when we can get together in October before the season starts. I would be more than happy to help you out.

Ted Jr.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default supplies?

I have started picking up a few used traps 6 1.5 long springs and a small conibar.so far, and saving the parts of the grouse we get each day... I am not sure as to what size will be needed or how many to have. we have a good selection of small snares the kids use for catching Hares.. and was kind of intimidated by the selection at the store to day so am unsure of what sizes to buy... i am guessing for fox and maybe some lynx hanging around.

i am guessing the kids can do about a mile or two line they do have a snow mobile and sled... it is more attention span, then time on trail.

i reality, how many traps would be feasible? some martin, fox, cat?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default I'm

a newby also. This is what info I have been able to pickup so far. I have bought a dozen #3's for lynx to build cubbies. I plan to use 120 coni's on pole sets for marten and snare trails for coyotes and fox. I bought the book Trapping North American Fur Bearers at sportsmans and it has a ton of sets and pictures and gives you good explanations on what to do start to finish. I will second the ATA school which is the 25-26 Oct this year I beleive. I have never heard anything negative about it. Good luck!

Marten are good to start with. They aren't all that careful and scent isn't as much of an issue as with fox. If you have some good stands of evergreens you should be able to find some. Also, if you have a wetland area, muskrat can be fun and usually productive. I'm planning on starting my girls this year with some snares for coyote/fox and a few marten sets as well. We may even venture out onto the Palmer hay flats and set for a few rats.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by F-16Pointy View Post
    a newby also. This is what info I have been able to pickup so far. I have bought a dozen #3's for lynx to build cubbies. I plan to use 120 coni's on pole sets for marten and snare trails for coyotes and fox. I bought the book Trapping North American Fur Bearers at sportsmans and it has a ton of sets and pictures and gives you good explanations on what to do start to finish. I will second the ATA school which is the 25-26 Oct this year I beleive. I have never heard anything negative about it. Good luck!

ATA school out of reach... 4 kids and me at $160.00 a pop
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here