Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: broadheads

Default broadheads

I'm making the switch from cut on contact fixed blade to a chisel point w/ replaceable blades. I haven't decided what brand to go with and was looking for some input. I also would like to hear some opinions on 3 blade versus 4 blade.

Default I shoot

NAP Thunderheads @ 125, 3 blade...& will continue to shoot them...

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie
    NAP Thunderheads @ 125, 3 blade...& will continue to shoot them...
    I shoot the 100's ... very happy with them.

I've always shot Thunderheads too, and have always been happy. A friend of mine switched to Muzzy broadheads last fall, but I think he did it just to try something new...wasn't unhappy with the Thunderheads for any reason. They seem to be the most consistently recommended one out there.

-Brian

Default flight

Do the thunderheads seem to hit to the same point of aim as your field point or does it take some tuning adjustment?

Depends on a couple factors but yes, mine hold pretty true.

Default Point of impact

I tried both the NAPs and the Muzzys at 100gr, and found both shot to same point of aim as my 100gr field points. Bill at Backcountry Archery tuned the bow for me, so I have great confidence in it.

I have done alot of research on broadheads and alot of trial and error. I used to use 125 thunderheads but they keep planing up on me, changed to wasp and had no problems since, been using wasp for almost 10 years now.
    And as far as 3 blade vs. 4 blade it has its pros and cons. With 3 blade you have less friction whitch in-turn gives you more penatration 4 blade will give you a better bleed hole but less penatation, also remember with 3 blade you have a better shot at a complete hole from one side to the other witch inturn gives you two holes for blood loss with a 4 blade you will get a better hole but due to friction possibly only one hole.

Default Muzzy

I'm very happy the 100 grn 4 blade's.

Thumbs up Razors

I shoot (still) obsolete, old-style Rocky Mountain Razors in 125 gr. They have the sharp round tip which punctures on contact as opposed to the chisel point.

Too bad they don't still offer them. They fly precisely to the same POI as my bullet tips. 3 blades and 1 1/4" cutting diameter really blows through a deer like nobodies business! Produces a blood trail you can run on!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by chuckgoff
    Do the thunderheads seem to hit to the same point of aim as your field point or does it take some tuning adjustment?
    If your bow and your form are properly tuned any broadhead can be made to impact the same as the field point. If they aren't, none will. You may think the bow is in perfect tune while shooting field points but broadheads may show you otherwise. Take the time to shoot and tune your bow with broadheads and you'll know it's in top form when it comes time for hunting.

Default another option..

Cabela's makes a great 3-blade chisel point broadhead that shoots the same as my field points without tuning (125 gr.). The blades are replaceable and best of all, they are inexpensive! Jerry at Fletchers archery in Wasilla turned me on to these years ago and they have served me well. Prior to, I shot the Rocky Mt. Razors. Killed a caribou with them, but I like the Cabela's chisel points better.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Old stye

I'm with AKWannabe, still shooting those 125gr Razor points until I sharpen them to nothing. Too bad you can't get them anymore. Guess at that point, (still a few years off yet) I'll be looking back to this archive and see what is working for everybody else.

Default What about...

Doesn't Zwickey still make a two blade razor point? I have heard through the years old timers swearing by them.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Another vote for the Thunderhead 125 grain broadhead!

Default Broadheads

I've shot 100gr Muzzys in the past but I'm going to give Slick Tricks a try this year. I really like the design, looks to be a tough head. They fly spot on with my field points, now I just have to try them out on a few critters.

Default cabelas

AKMUD I tried some of the cabelas three blades (not sure which model now) a few yrs back. To test the strength I shot it into both a bear and a young moose shoulder blade. The dang thing blew up, the chisel point came off and one of the blades broke. I thought maybe it was a fluke so I shot two more with the same results. Only one of them even penetrated all the way through the blade. Now I know this isn't where you are trying to shoot an animal but it is a good possibilty that it could happen. Maybe all replaceable blade broadheads will do this, i'm not sure. I do knoe that my two blade magnus 125gr. go right through the only problem is the lack of a blood trail in my exp. especially with bears.

Default Thanks for the info

Chuck,

Thanks for your info. I have taken a couple of animals with these broadheads and haven't had a problem. Of course, I didn't put one into a scapula tho. Nice to know if they won't hold up. I may go back to my Muzzy's or RMR's if I go after a bear.
    AKmud

Thumbs up heads

Use Slick tricks tuff steel head, and they fly like a field point best head on the market. I also use Muzzy 90g 2nd best in my opinion blades arenít as strong, but very sharp if you stay way form bone your golden, and not as expensive as a slick trick.

Smile I second that slick tricks are awsome!!!

I have never used a head that flies so well and with 4 blades does a lot of cutting they are awsome and did I mention that they fly like field points. They are great!!!!
    shanedog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast