Thread: Carbon arrow flying funky

Question Carbon arrow flying funky

I have a single arrow that is flying off kilter. It's flying differently than my other arrows and sometimes impacts at a different angle than the rest. Since it's a carbon arrow, it can't be bent. (right?) What's the deal here? Is it the fletching?

Default well

on a bow hunting tv show the host said he will find two or three per dozen that does that. He marks the arrows he said, shoot a couple more times. Marks the holes also on the target. If consistantly flies out of the group it is a bad arrow. This is all according to tv though, made sense. I have not had a bad carbon arrow. The carbon express 350's all fly to well, damaged most of them myself.

Is that the only arrow doing it? Check your knocks and make sure they are all the same.

The nocks are the same. It was definitely the only arrow that was doing it tonight, but I usually only pull four arrows out of my case when I go to shoot. I'll definitely choose ones that fly perfectly when I get ready to head afield, but this has got me perplexed. I suppose it could just be a bad arrow, but I was wondering if there was another explanation.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Brian i am sure you check this too but I DID it ... i had a group the fly great and one or two that did not... it took me a awhile to figure out i had different weight tips on one or two.. they looked the same came out of same package... 2 were 100 grn the rest were 125. something simple to look at. I now shoot both.. and mark the fletch so i know who is who. i can adjust accordingly. mostly because i use 125 fix blades and 100 grn expendables. i personally have never had a bad carbon arrow. but i have heard of it.

Brian,
    I have had a bad carbon before (only one though). All you can do is mark it and toss it. After you have checked the point to ensure it is the weight you think it is, then checked where the arrow was cut to ensure it is precisely 90 degrees to the arrow shaft, and you fletching matches the blades on your fixed point as well as the nock and the cut off at the nock is is 90 degrees, then it is time to toss it as a bad arrow. That is also taking into account that you aren't shooting this one different for some reason, but if you are getting the other arrows where you want them then that wouldn't be viable. You might be the winner of a lucky bad arrow man.
    Loving God, Loving People, Loving America--Serving All Three

Thats why we No# Them, If you Checked all the easy stuff nock alined not damaged Or small tear in one vane, Than you might have cracked it, If shooting good groups this happens when it follows the other shaft down in the target. Flex it and turn in a circle, This is hard to spot sometimes, Listen you might hear the cracking sound.Like others said toss it! Better to do that than have it blow up on you. Theres one on here that has had that happen and it was nasty, Depends what you payed for them, What brand so forth,Top of the line or the Hunter version, But it is not uncomon to have some per doz, not shoot right.

Default bad arrow

You didn't say what brand of arrow. If it's an ACC (Alum core) I promise you they will and do bend. You also didn't mention whether you were shooting broadheads or field poits and at what ranges you noticed this trend. 25 gr weight difference in a field point usualy won't be noticed at 20 yds. Of course any out of alignment condition with a broadhead will magnify as you increase your range. If your arrow is staight (easy to check) I suspect you have a bent nock. Change out the nock and check arrow flight.

Default Number your fletching

My wife had a similar issue this last winter. One arrow (Easton FatBoy) flying all funky. Ended up finding a small piece of a broken nock inside the arrow. Strange things happen. Number the arrows and keep track. Also try changing the nock or the tip of the funky flier. If this doesn't fix it, toss it.

In a dozen you might find one three arrows that won't fly true. If all your other arrows are flying good then that arrow is 100% trash worthy
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thanks for the tips, fellas. I'll number my arrows tonight and let 'em fly again. The arrows are older Gold Tips. I was shooting field points from 20-40 yards. Obviously the error was amplified at a greater distance, though it was off at 20 as well.

Default me thinks

that the spine is probably off - you can test with a spine tester - but I just break them in half - that usually prevents me from graggin it again. There are almost always a flyer or two out a 2 dozen shafts.....I mostly use Beeman ICS - but have heard the same thing with all other brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Thanks for the tips, fellas. I'll number my arrows tonight and let 'em fly again. The arrows are older Gold Tips. I was shooting field points from 20-40 yards. Obviously the error was amplified at a greater distance, though it was off at 20 as well.
    One thing I have seen when you number your arrows is when you knock that arrow people will anticipate what that arrow will do. IE arrow #1 you think it shoot to the left. You grab arrow #1 and knock it. In your head you already telling your self it shoots to the left so you aim differnt or you end up shooting to the left.

I tell people when you number your arrows, pick an arrow and don't look at the number.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default yep

very true Gray..... Make the number a tiny number in a more inconspicous place. I don't use a hip quiver - I stick them in my back pocket. Close my eyes when I draw one out - knock it, envision the target, draw it....then open my eyes.

For hunting - you really should practice pulling and knocking and drawing all without looking at anything but the animal's kill zone - and how the animal is acting........maybe not so critical here for moose - but a Griz on a kill - or an elk in the lower 48...very important.

Default funky barrow

I shoot easton axis arrows and have for some time now, and love them, but i had 2 arrows last year that were flying funky, i did every thing to find out why and after it was all said and done i found some hair line cracks in each of those arrows, i found them with a magnifing glass and accounted the funky flying to that.