Thread: Dollies for Dummies

Default Dollies for Dummies

Heading to Prince of Whales in two weeks, always fish the rivers for catch and release salmon action. Looking for sometips on catching dollies as well. I have heard they are out there but don't think I've seen any. Any ideas/advice?

Fish beads or egg-sucking leeches among any visible spawning salmon. Hard to miss that way.

Anything in an egg pattern. The dollies, grayling and trout follow the salmon upstream and eat the eggs that float away.
    Now what ?

Default try this....

If you are looking for big dollies, fish these on a 7/8 weight rod with 14 ft sink tip type III head. Fish ON the bottom.

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...uct-flyer.html

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thanks for the input thus far, I was thinking a spinning setup if thats effective. I was just told that if I'm there, its something I shouldn't miss but I've never once spotted a dolly mixed in with the salmon, fishing smaller rivers on the island, the biggest would be the Harris or Natsuni for example. And you guys are great but think dumber dumber, Dollies for really really dumb dummies. Line weight, terminal tackle setup, any other hints of how and where to put my offering in front of the right fish. Amazing would even be some firsthand experience on the island catching them in the streams and rivers.

Default dollies...

Get some Blue Fox Vibrax spinners in size 1/4 and 3/8 ounce. If you can't find them locally (for some crazy reason), go online to Cabelas and order some. I like 3/8 ounce best, but if you are fishing some smaller waters, the 1/4 ounce would be good to have. My choice for dollies (in order of preference) is orange with nickel blade, pink with nickel, nickel on nickel, metallic blue on nickel, and copper on copper. The darker the day, the darker the spinner. Throw them out and let them sink near the bottom, then reel in slowly. If it is tumbling over the rocks and such, so be it. As long as you are not getting hung up regularly. Just cast it out and reel it in slow. If the current is fast, you may need to throw it upstream a few feet and let it fall as it drifts downstream. Good enough current and you can throw it out across the stream and let it swing downstream. Don't reel much (if at all) if it does. Just let it swing. Then as it near the end and the line stops moving laterally, reel her in. But at any rate, try to get to the middle of the water column at least. A 6.5-7 medium spinning rod with balanced reel and 10-12 lb line would do nicely. Any heavier line, the spinners won't fly too far for you. Any lighter, you risk break off. Berkely Trilene is good stuff (and cheap). Get a good pair of pliers on you hip, a small box of spinners in your pocket, and go at it. Nothing could be simpler. If you plan to release the fish, switch out the treble hooks with the siwash (regular) hooks. Cuts fish mortality down significantly (and lands more fish in my opinion). All you need is a $5 pair of split ring pliers. Takes 15 seconds. Look for the dollies tell tell sign. The white fins. The rest of the body is hard to see at times. But the white fins will give them away. Also, look at the deepest water you can find. Anywhere there is a hole in the river, you should be fishing for dollies. Often the biggest ones are right ON the bottom. Belly on the bottom. Anywhere a feeder stream/trib enters the river is a good place for sure. Any cut banks? Cast under there if so. Above all else, fish the holes. And be sure to give it a go during the first few (and last few) hours of the day. This holds true for about any kind of fishing, but I could not help but to say it anyway. For motivation before your trip, below is a picture of one my wife caught. Nice little ten pounder.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...7603639892399/
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.