Thread: Interesting question about limits

Default Interesting question about limits

Here is the scenario. I am at a fish cleaning table with my 3 reds. i get done cleaning them and see a group that is throwing away the best part, the bellies. They a a dozen or more. If i take them with me. Are they counted in my limit? On Millelacs lake here in MN i was cleaning my 6 walleyes. None of the others were keeping thier cheeks so i must have taken the cheeks off of 20 fish. the warden was doing checks and stopped me outside the fish cleaning house. he told me i was 20 over the limit. i just about crapped my pants. He told me that if you have a part of a fish you have the whole fish. he told me he was not going to cite me just letting me know. I posed a quesion about wanton waste if people are not going to keep the cheeks and we had a great discussion. He was a nice guy all the way around. A young eager beaver may have written me up. So guys if i keep the bellies am i over the limit?

Default Good question

I know I trim my belly's off and keep them for some of my friends, I would think a quick call to fish and game would settle this question. If you do give them a shout let us know what you find out. I know when Im out on a butt charter I will take all the cheeks i can since alot of people dont seem to want them. Same scenerio so id like to know
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Interesting..... so if someone is cleaning their salmon and they don't want there eggs so you can cure them, you'll be in violation? Makes you wonder and think twice about getting something for free. I guess if that's the case, I including a lot of others, are violators.

Default Count me among the perpetrators.

I tagged out one adult king during the 6 days I spent king fishing the lower Kenai. I gave the meat to a friend to take back to WA.

My booty for the trip was a pile of king bellies and collars that I mooched off the cutting table. They would have just gone to waste. Must've been a dozen pair in the box I took home! Probably got the meat equivalent of one whole king.

My M.O. in July:
    Troll the river for fun... troll the cleaning table for food.
    Works for me!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I could've sworn there is a form on the back of the fishing regs that allows you to "sign your fish over to someone". Don't have a copy of the regs on me so I'm not sure. I guess this would be the only legit way to do it. Here's off the ADFG website:

Possession of sport-caught fish: (a) Sport-caught fish, their parts, and articles manufactured from such fish may be possessed within the state by any person at any time, and may be transported within and exported out of the state by any person at any time except that no person may possess any unpreserved fish (see definition of preserved fish below), or part of one, not legally taken by himself, unless he furnishes, upon request of any peace officer of the state, a statement signed by the person taking the fish stating the type of fish, number of fish, location, date taken, and license number. The statement is unnecessary if the person possessing the fish is accompanied by the person who took the fish. No person may possess fish which were not legally taken. (b) A person may possess only the limit of fish allowed for the water on which that person is fishing. (c) Upon request by an ADF&G employee, a person must show to the employee fish taken and possessed by the person in a sport fishery.

That is correct.

If you get busted for keeping extra fish bellies then the guys who wasted them in the first place should get wanton waste fines.

It is too bad that so many people treat fish tenderloins as waste.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I could be wrong but....If you the fish (bellies) was given to you, get the fishing license number and name of the person who gave them to you, incase the ADFG needs to do any investigation.
    I know that is how it works, when fish are given to someone who did not fish, might be the same for someone who is fishing also. Not too sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    If you get busted for keeping extra fish bellies then the guys who wasted them in the first place should get wanton waste fines.

It is too bad that so many people treat fish tenderloins as waste.
    Absolutely RMiller, down at Jim Creek I saw quite a few carcasses in the pile that were "wanton waste".
    I wonder if anyone has ever been ticketed for a hack job of filleting that left half the edible meat on the carcass.
    I think the "transfer of possession" form will keep you legal while scrounging the cleaning table.
    I can't figure out why someone would throw away the best part.

For the bellies, couldn't you just say that they were going to be used for bait? I know charters use bellies for bait sometimes from the cleaning tables.

The possession transfer would not work too well because you can only possess one limit at a time.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

As long as you have a transfer of possession form completed for each of those other limits you would be ok. This occurs in places such as Res Bay and Kachemak Bay with charter operations that may transfer fish to other boats and run the fish back to shore for processing prior to clients returning to the docks.

Transfer of possession would also allow for an angler who catches a ling cod outside of Res Bay to transfer the ling cod to another boat and then he would be able to go into Res Bay and fish for coho.

Daily limits still apply even though the fish is no longer in your possession. So a person couldn't take a bag limit of 2 coho from Jim Creek, transfer possession of the 2 coho, and then go out and catch more coho. This would exceed the bag limit and would be illegal.

You can only transfer one limit at a time. If you have your limit of two at Jim Creek you cannot accept a transfer form to take another persons limit home.

(b) A person may possess only the limit of fish allowed for the water on which that person is fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by aktally View Post
    As long as you have a transfer of possession form completed for each of those other limits you would be ok. This occurs in places such as Res Bay and Kachemak Bay with charter operations that may transfer fish to other boats and run the fish back to shore for processing prior to clients returning to the docks.

Transfer of possession would also allow for an angler who catches a ling cod outside of Res Bay to transfer the ling cod to another boat and then he would be able to go into Res Bay and fish for coho.

Daily limits still apply even though the fish is no longer in your possession. So a person couldn't take a bag limit of 2 coho from Jim Creek, transfer possession of the 2 coho, and then go out and catch more coho. This would exceed the bag limit and would be illegal.
    There has to be one person for each Ling Cod possessed. Since the possession limit for Ling Cod in North Gulf Coast waters is one.

(b) A person may possess only the limit of fish allowed for the water on which that person is fishing.

You can only transfer one limit at a time unless the possession limit exceeds the daily limit. If you have your limit of two at Jim Creek you cannot accept a transfer form to take another persons limit home at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    For the bellies, couldn't you just say that they were going to be used for bait? I know charters use bellies for bait sometimes from the cleaning tables.
    That would be a problem as the sportfish regs call out

"However, whitefish, herring, and other species for which bag limits, seasons, or other regulatory methods and means are not provided in 5 AAC 47 - 5 AAC 75 (area-specific regulations), as well as the head, tail, fins, and viscera of legally taken sport fish, may be used for bait or other purposes."

I don't think the bellies qualify as viscera . . .

SH

Default OK I will go there kgcpr......

The Warden that stopped you and asked about the cheeks was just looking to cause trouble and should have never brought it up. Why? Because he knew darn well what they were for and that they were destined for the trash anyway, and he was flexing his administrative muscles just in asking. I know you feel he is a great guy in not writing you a ticket and perhaps in his younger years he would have. However, the reason this is probably isn't what you think: it is likely that by now his supervisor has informed him that he needs to keep this piddly stuff out of court as judges have better things to do with their time.

Go ahead, feel great about him, and now you are informed you know what to do - tell him all of these fish came out of the trash, they are slightly rotten, are to be used as bait, and what is left goes in the garden. And, don't forget to offer, if want to sample them, be my guest to eat some raw right now, but offer no promises on future health.......

With questions like this, you need to go to the source. Send an email to F&G for clarification. Better to be safe than sorry.