Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first ram!

Talking My first ram!

Well I finally have time to sit down write the story and share a few pics of what was a great hunt. We flew out of Fairbanks on the 7th so that we could get in and set up before the crowds got there. Upon landing in that one drainage off that one river around the other creek, we decided to hike in a few miles and set up a base camp. We stayed around base camp that afternoon glassing for sheep. Only a few lambs and ewes were seen.

The 8th we decided to grab our spike camp gear and a couple days of food and go look for some rams. We hiked about 6 miles until we came across a hill side with 10 rams hangin out. We quickly set the spotting scope up and determined that 1 was a for sure ( the ram i ended up harvesting) and two were very close. We watched them until they feed over the skyline. Three more rams popped up out of nowhere on the same hill not minutes after the original 10 had left. Two of them were no brainer's legal and the other was about 3/4. We immediately set up camp as there was no reason to go any farther. Realizing we only had food to get us through the 10th we decided to get ahead and hightail it back to base camp to grab some more grub. After returning from our 17+ mile day we spent the rest of the afternoon watching sheep after sheep feed in front of camp.

The 9th was spent doing the same thing. Even the 10 rams from the day before decided to pay us a visit. It was such a relaxing day to just hang out and watch them do there thing, but was awfully tough to just sit back and watch and not try and make a move.

The morning of the 10th we climbed up the mountain to wait for our feeding rams to show. We thought this was going to be slam dunk but boy were we wrong. Not one ram showed up that day. As a matter of a fact only 1 ewe and lamb showed up. A little discouraged we returned to camp.

Not wanting to move from what we thought was our honey hole, we decided to give it one more day. The 11th was a very foggy morning and i have to admit i was not excited to sit on the side of that mountain in the middle of the fog to not see any sheep again. My excitement level shortly ski rocketed when the outline of two rams appeared in the ski-lined fog 200 yards above us. The fog was to thick too determine whether or not they were legal so we let them do there thing. They quickly moved over to a black muddy hole that were calling a natural salt lick (not sure what it was but all the sheep in the area loved it). Even though these were two of the rams that we had watched for a couple of days now we still spent 30 minutes with the spotting scope on 60 at 375 yds just to verify. We never could decide on the smaller ram so we decided to let him go. Not knowing were they were going to head next and not having any cover to move closer i decided to let the Ole
    300RUM sing. Before anyone tries to beat me up i practice out past this distance and was more than comfortable with the shot. I hit the ram right were i wanted to taking out both shoulders and a bit of lung. The ram reared up on his hind legs, when he went to plant his fronts nothing was there. This gave him the momentum to tumble all the way down the hill he was on. It was about a 500ft drop and he hit ever rock in the country on the way down. To our surprise he survived the fall quit well with absolutely no damage to the horns, cape, or meat..
    We stayed in this area for a couple more days trying to secure my partner his ram but never did find any even close to legal. The 14th we packed up our spike camp and my ram and hiked it back to the landing strip. Once we got there we cooked up some sheep jambalaya as a reward for our hard day of work. That afternoon we ended back up at our base camp to glass for my partners ram.
    We hiked around and glassed all over the place looking for him a ram but never could find anything close enough to get our hopes up. All in all it was a great hunt with a great partner. The only gear change i would have made was my boots. My couple year old Irish Setter big game trackers weren't ready for the 50+ miles i put on them this hunt. As I'm typing this i can still feel a bit of pain radiating from the blisters..lol.. It's all part of the game though right.

My ram measures at 36x13 3/4 on the right and 33x13 3/4 on his broomed left side. Anyone want to try and guess the age of this guy?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN CAN I BLAME MY PENCIL FOR MISSPELLED WORDS?

Default couple more pics!

Here is a few more. The last is a pic of him couple days before through the spotting scope.

Default Dude you are killing me!!

Always thought about sheep hunting, just seemed like a lot of work. After following the addicts on this forum I'm really getting the itch. Stories and pics like that really put me over the edge. I've just gotta do it now! Won't be able to until 2010 though, just gives me more time to plan I guess. Awesome story and pics!!

Nice ram, congrats on the trophy!

CONGRATULATIONS on a great ram. Thanks for sharing your photos and story. You were in some rugged, beautiful country.

Bernie P.

Default ram

Very nice horn configuration on that ram! Great job man. He looks 9 to me.

Thumbs up Dirty ram

Congrats on your first ram!! I hope all that shale comes out of that cape, will make a beautiful mount!!

Default Thanks all!

Ak45 my taxi bleaches the capes anyways, he said there's worries on the shale coming out.

Default Congrats

That is pretty cool to have before and after pics. I like to take pictures and video through my spotting scope as well. Congrats on your first ram, and a dandy at that.

Default Congrtas dude

thats just awesome.And the pics where just as great.Even the spotting scope picture which is my fav turned out cool! Thanks for sharing.Daniel

Congrats on your first ram!

Default +1!!!

Great story and great sheep, Keeler.
    Was pulling for you...

Way to go!

Smile awesome hunt

congrats on the best trophy there is. hey I know where that is...

any chance you could resave those pics as jpg files and repost?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default changed the pics to jpg

lets see if this works better for ya trapper.

Default and the other two.

Thanks fullkurl! I needed it after last years skunk on every species!.... No mores guesses on age???

Way to go! The first is allways the hooker, planning next years yet?

Congrat's!

congrats and great story

So you were hunting up in Carpenter creek I take it

Carpenter creek??????? Nope not even close... If the Air Force will let me stay a couple more years then sheep may be on the table again next year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast