Thread: Props

Default Props

Spoiled One,
    So what prop did you end up with?
    I am kind of liking these ss 3 blade 15's from solas.
    Going to put hydro-foils on this weekend. Anyone else put hydrofoils on yet?
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Spoiled One,
    What did you gain with a 4 blade prop vs 3 blade. From what I have read a 3 blade will give you better economy and top end. A four blade will give you better hole shot and control? What was your experience?
    MMSI#

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbtide View Post
    Spoiled One,
    What did you gain with a 4 blade prop vs 3 blade. From what I have read a 3 blade will give you better economy and top end. A four blade will give you better hole shot and control? What was your experience?
    Interesting. I have heard that you actually pick up a bit of economy at cruise with the 4 blade vs the 3 blade. You can also lift your engines up a bit with the 4 blade due to the fact that you will that extra blade in the water at all times. I noticed better holeshot, control at the dock, cruise economy, and my top end really did not change much from the stock black stainless yamaha props I sea trialed with. They just feel better. I would like to try a pair of 15.25 x 19 or 21 pitch stainless to see how they compare.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Have you tried hydrofoils? I had one on my Hewescraft and it did a great job. I could plane at much slower speeds and experienced better economy at cruise.
    MMSI#

Ebbtide,

Did you notice any change in fuel consumption or performance with the Solas props?

Yes, better fuel economy and since the props were smaller they turned faster. This allowed me to peak out aroud 6000 RPM's "where I should be peaking" this increased top end.
    MMSI#

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbtide View Post
    Yes, better fuel economy and since the props were smaller they turned faster. This allowed me to peak out aroud 6000 RPM's "where I should be peaking" this increased top end.
    What kind of "cruise" economy and speed do you get?

What is the top end speed?

Have not had time or weather to build a table yet so I can't quote specifics. I did notice the difference right off though. Top end is about 45 mph give or take depending on tide.
    MMSI#

Default Props

I think one engine and two props is the answer
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Interesting. I have heard that you actually pick up a bit of economy at cruise with the 4 blade vs the 3 blade. You can also lift your engines up a bit with the 4 blade due to the fact that you will that extra blade in the water at all times. I noticed better holeshot, control at the dock, cruise economy, and my top end really did not change much from the stock black stainless yamaha props I sea trialed with. They just feel better. I would like to try a pair of 15.25 x 19 or 21 pitch stainless to see how they compare.
    What kind of pitch decrease should be expected with going from a 3-blade to a 4-blade prop? If a person is running a 19 pitch 3-blade, what pitch 4-blade will produce the same top operating rpms? 15, 17?

Quote Originally Posted by rmkak View Post
    What kind of pitch decrease should be expected with going from a 3-blade to a 4-blade prop? If a person is running a 19 pitch 3-blade, what pitch 4-blade will produce the same top operating rpms? 15, 17?

Rule of thumb is drop 2" of pitch for 4-blade, so 17" 4 blade would be a good start.

Default New to this forum, but a GC owner.

I have also been trying to tune my props to the boat. It has taken a couple of years as the first year I had a few small pin holes in my outdrive on the back of my boat. I was caring around a few hundred pounds of dead weight. This was fixed last fall when I removed the boat for the winter. I thought I was on my way this summer and could never get them in sinc. Both are new F250 Yam. When I pulled the boat this fall I wanted to remove and grease the prop and found out I had been running a SS 13 3/4 X 19 and a 14 X19 Aluminum on the other. This I found is why they would not sinc up.
    Trying to fix the problem now.

Quote Originally Posted by cschreiber View Post
    I have also been trying to tune my props to the boat. It has taken a couple of years as the first year I had a few small pin holes in my outdrive on the back of my boat. I was caring around a few hundred pounds of dead weight. This was fixed last fall when I removed the boat for the winter. I thought I was on my way this summer and could never get them in sinc. Both are new F250 Yam. When I pulled the boat this fall I wanted to remove and grease the prop and found out I had been running a SS 13 3/4 X 19 and a 14 X19 Aluminum on the other. This I found is why they would not sinc up.
    cschreiber,

Welcome to the forum. I see how that could be an issue! What size boat are you running your F250's on?
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I had a few small pin holes in my outdrive on the back of my boat. I was caring around a few hundred pounds of dead weight. When I pulled the boat this fall I wanted to remove and grease the prop and found out I had been running a SS 13 3/4 X 19 and a 14 X19 Aluminum on the other. This I found is why they would not sinc up.
    By outdrive do you mean that your CET was full of water? I have heard of a couple of other GC's that have had this issue. So far mine has been dry. I believe I talked with you when you were pulling your boat out of the harbor in Seward las summer. With the price of fuel these days, we need to eek out as much economy as possible out of these motors.

Default Prop's

We have a 30' GC with twin OB's. If you have been down to Seward the last two summers we are in slip N-22, Summ'r Solstice is her name.
    Pete I do believe you did stop and talk a little, at that time you were still waiting for your boat. I think you also called me a couple of days ago to discuss props, Jason may have given you my number. I have another SS 13 3/4 X 19 coming which matches the SS I had on the boat. It will be a learning experience again next year to tune them properly.

Yea, Jason said you may want to talk props. I have a pair of the same stainless black yamaha prop. Those are what I started with. If you are dead set on going three blade, I would go with the yamaha 15.25x19 saltwater series II. I think that with these heavy hulls, the extra diameter is necessary unless you go 4-blade.

Pete

Pete I have some pic's of my boat just don't know how to post them here on the forum?? Any help.

Carey

Pete I have some pic's of my boat just don't know how to post them here on the forum?? Any help.

Carey
    Here is a link to a tutorial that Brian M (forum admin) posted on how to post pics: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=20830

Using photobucket is the way to go IMO. I sent you a PM, too.

Pete

Default Props

Pete i see you are on line, do you have afew minutes to talk about props. I just stopped by Deweys and talked a little with Dan. He suggested talking to other owners about them before buying

Pete i see you are on line, do you have afew minutes to talk about props. I just stopped by Deweys and talked a little with Dan. He suggested talking to other owners about them before buying
    Missed your post last night. I will be home tonight. If you would like to give me a call, I will PM you my cell number.