Thread: Wood River

Default Wood River

Anyone have any experience with the Wood River from Rex Trail. Can an ATV with tracks cross the river, or does it require boat crossing. I have a 10ft inflatable with a 10hp, so I would be on foot after crossing Wood, on raft, I would like to get it across if it is feasable...never been that far on the Rex so I have no experience on that river. Thank you

I have about 25 years experience with that crossing. First, it is approximately 72 miles of very bad trail, just to get to that crossing, then once at the river, there is only about a 20% chance of getting an atv across the main channels of the river successfully and that is during a normal year. Then, if you do get across, and we get any rain in the hills while on the other side, you will not be able to get back across.

As you are probably aware, this has not been a normal year in the Interior. I flew out there two days ago, and even with the relatively dry weather we have had for about a week, the Wood is still a raging torrent. There are new channels cut everywhere, and whole trees still floating down the river. Several runways that were right on, or near, the Wood, are totally gone as are runways and cabins on Bonnefield Creek, and Dry Creek. Gold King Creek, Fish Creek, and many of the other waterways that cross the trail, have made large cuts in the trail, with 4-5 foot dropoffs. I flew the Rex for several miles and it is covered with water throughout, some of it running water.

About your only bet to get into Zone 2 this year is going to be by airplane, boat, or airboat.

Good luck with your hunt.

Default Advice

Thanks for the advice..I sent you a PM