Thread: Shipping firearm

Default Shipping firearm

Buddy and I are coming to Alaska in September for moose hunt. We plan on shipping gear ahead of time by Priority Mail, including rifles. We plan to mail gear to ourselves at the outfitters address. Anyone know of any reason this won't work for mailing our rifles and hunting gear? Thanks for your replys.

Default Mailing Rifles

I had a big "go-round" with the postal service but the bottom line is that you can mail a long gun from yourself TO yourself at a different address. So you should have no problem.

We just shipped our gear out yesterday but decided to take the rifles as checked baggage.

Do you just not want to have to deal with the airlines or something else?

We've got a couple of tight connections on the way out and are afraid the rifles won't make the connection. WE have had our flights changed several times since making reservations and just don't want to take the chance on the guns not being there when we get off the plane.

Default guns

Phil is correct, I mailed 7-8 long guns from AK to SD this year. Have to be mailed to yourself, and you may go through a couple postal agents til you get one that actually knows the correct rules, don't give in if you're told you can't do it by the first one. Have a good time.

My wife and I sent our long guns to Fairbanks from PA two weeks ago using priority mail... Safe, easy, don't have to worry about the airlines. SUPPOSEDLY now is the season airline handlers are swiping gun cases ( that is what the UPS person told us).
    USPS is def the way to go in my opinion...

Default Check the laws

I shipped guns to myself at various locations throughout the lower 48 while chasing whitetails. I looked up the federal shipping laws and all was good.

Each state has it's own shipping laws for guns as well. Make sure you look the laws over. Whatever state you are a resident of--is the state laws that apply to you.

I ended up printing the laws/regulations out and showing the postal service employeee that I was legally sending guns through the mail.

For those of you who shipped their rifles, did you ship them in your airline approved gun case? Thanks.

The one I used looked like a golf case... I think SKB made it. Got there safe!!!! I had up next wednesday for a 10 day hunt.
    Can't wait..
    WOOHOO!!!!

Default airline gun case

I shipped my guns in a normal airline gun case. If I remember correctly the federal law says the package can not be marked anywhere that the case contains guns.

I ship them often to myself between North Pole and Nashville Tennessee. First couple of times had problems at the Nashville end. Last year had one heck of a time in Dallas Texas shipping them home. Took three days and getting in touch with the post master in the Dallas area. I had her call North Pole Post Office they gave her the locations in the postal regs so she could see that it is legal to mail long guns.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

One other thing that hasn't been brought up ; the postial clerk CAN"T ask you what is in the case. no if ands or buts. They can only ask about haz mat, flamible liquids ect. If a clerk want to know what in the container tell them it none of there business and tell them they don't have the right to know. My son-in law and daugther work for the usps.

Default Case

I use my SKB case. No problems. And I tape it really well.

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    One other thing that hasn't been brought up ; the postial clerk CAN"T ask you what is in the case. no if ands or buts. They can only ask about haz mat, flamible liquids ect. If a clerk want to know what in the container tell them it none of there business and tell them they don't have the right to know. My son-in law and daugther work for the usps.
    Yup. And I told them that before, even know they had a good idea what I was shipping. I simply told them to worry about getting my stuff mailed off.

Default shipping

Ok it seems mailing longguns is gtg. What do you guys do as far as ammo goes. Can you usps it as well ?

Quote Originally Posted by jeff p View Post
    Ok it seems mailing longguns is gtg. What do you guys do as far as ammo goes. Can you usps it as well ?
    Absolutely NO ammo can be shipped USPS.

Default Ahh Shipping to AK

Guns by USPS. Try registered mail instead of priority. Less money, better service. My guy at the main Phoenix PO set me up.

Ammo by UPS. USPS won't ship ammo. UPS will by ground. Yes, UPS does ground to AK, don't believe them when they tell you they don't.

Gear by what ever is cheaper. USPS is probably the best bet.

I shipped everything and will be taking my optics in a carry-on backpack for my AK hunt next week. Beats fighting with the airlines over 100 lbs of luggage.