Thread: Double Bay Hinchinbrook Island

Default Double Bay Hinchinbrook Island

Heading to Hinchinbrook Island to hunt deer in mid October. Will also have bear tags. Looking for a scouting report or any other helpful information anyone may have about the area. I've never been there before.

Thanks!

Matt

The cabin at Double bay can be a *itch to find and it is on a tidal flat. You will have to walk to the cabin. I stayed a shelter bay cabin and the fish should be running near there so take your rod.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default Hide Tide

We hunted there 3 years ago. Transporter we used had a jet powered bowpicker and was able to put us within 6 feet of the cabin at high tide. The guys who had the cabin after us came in at high tide on a beaver and parked the plane within 15 yds of the cabin.

Expect to hunt high and far from the cabin or bring a small boat and motor to cruise shore lines. The deer we shot close by the cabin were all young - does and button bucks. Lots of bear sign seen but no bears. Salmon run was over - the few we found alive in the streams were spawed out.

Good luck. Study the topo maps, and bring good waterproof boots - the entire island makes a "squish sound" .

Thanks for the information...

Can you fill me in a little on the terrain in the general hunting area? The Google Earth picture of this spot is really bad. I've got the topo, but would like to know if there is a lot of dense woods or more open country.

I like to go to new areas, but the downside is you don't really know what it will look like until you are there. Two years ago on Afognak, the area we were in was all pretty dense woods. Then last year on Kodiak there wasn't a tree in sight...

Knowing the terrain will help me decide my gun/scope set up. Last year I went with a closer range setup on Kodiak and felt a little limited for deer.

Default Terrain

Hinchinbrook around the cabin is tiered meadows and woods - large rolling meadow systems, but thick dense woods (mix of trees, alders, devils club) to transition up in elevation, then another set of meadows, more woods, etc...like steps. Thick growth around the larger streams, but there are thin/deep ankle breaker streams criss crossing everywhere. So looking at your topo - lines close together/ridge = probably trees/thick growth, wide spacing = probably meadow. Deer sign is everywhere, slow stalking/hunting is your best bet.

Thanks for the info...

When were you there? October? Novemember?