Thread: Buy/Sell Sheep Capes

Default Buy/Sell Sheep Capes

What are dall sheep capes going for these days? If I need to buy one to mount, or sell one?

Default Sheep Capes $$

I sold a tanned sheep cape last year for $400.

Quote Originally Posted by Samson1 View Post
    What are dall sheep capes going for these days? If I need to buy one to mount, or sell one?
    "Translation" I want to know how much I can get for my Cape....

Isn't selling items of this nature still Illegal up here or are Capes somehow exempted?

Default Capes

it's legal to sell capes. I got $500 for a raw cape last year and if you're able to get the entire hide out you should expect around $1000 to $1200 even a little higher maybe.

Capes, hides, bones,(except the skull) and horns'antlers are all legal to sell. Both those taken from state or federal hunts. Bears taken under federal subsistence hunts also have certain parts that are legally saleable.
    As fullcurl said, sheep capes and full body hides are in demand and are worth some decent money. You might want to browse www.taxidermy.net for a few days.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I've seen them go for as much as $800.00,but it all depends on how bad a Taxidermists wants/needs one for a client.

Four to five hundred bucks aint bad right now,as that seems to be the norm.And the longer one waits to sell you tend to ge a little more for them.

Speaking of which does anyone have or know where to get ahold of a Goat cape? Daniel

if you've got a sheep cape or goat cape, hang on to it for several months, about the time hides start getting to taxidermists from the tanneries, value will hit the roof, badly cared for capes will show it after the tan and guys will be desperate to replace once in a life time screw ups.
    I sell most all my hides to cabela's...lifesize dall ram will get you close to 1500 in the right hands.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I stand corrected!

I'll still look it up, but I tend to believe a couple of you folks more than others

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    I sell most all my hides to cabela's...lifesize dall ram will get you close to 1500 in the right hands.
    We sold 3 lifesize cow moose hides to Cabelas last year. I think it was $600 for two of them and $800 for the really large one.

If I get lucky enough to take a mature ram during my October bowhunt, you can bet I'll be taking out the lifesize hide. Unless it's the largest ram I've taken, I'll sell it and figure I can get a pretty good price for one with longer hair.

When you say life sized hide are I assume you mean including the head with lips/ears turned etc. Did you have them tanned or is that raw, salted, frozen? I hunt for meat but If I can get my processing covered for the added work of hiking out a hide then I will certainly put the effort in when practical.

lifesize would be with the tail, hooves, dorsal cut, lips eyes ears nose tail hooves all turned and bones out, fleshed and salted...
    i get about 800 bucks for a ewe dall sheep....
    Master guide 212

lifesize would be with the tail, hooves, dorsal cut, lips eyes ears nose tail hooves all turned and bones out, fleshed and salted...
    i get about 800 bucks for a ewe dall sheep....
    800 for a ewe! If I can't get a ram and end up taking a ewe for the meat I will definately be hauling the hide out now!

Doesn't have to be a dorsal cut. Some guys probably don't know what that is. If your interested in making some money off parts of the animal many throw away, speak to an experienced taxidermist before you hunt.
    Brian, did you salt dry the cow hides? How did you ship? Good money in lifesize moose hides, but man they are big, hard to work with, and heavy.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Just curious, where do you get info for selling hides to Cabelas?

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Brian, did you salt dry the cow hides? How did you ship? Good money in lifesize moose hides, but man they are big, hard to work with, and heavy.
    Honestly, you'd have to ask my brother on that one. He is trained in taxidermy work, so once the hides were out of the field he did the rest. Since they are indeed so hard to work with, a substantial portion of the money went to him.

had offers for 2000 for lifesize bull moose hides but i just don't see the effort being worth the value...
    try taxidermy.net to sell your hides sometimes the cabela's people are in there but you might just find some who'll actually pay you better for your hides.
    Dorsal cut is preferred (split from behind the ears to a few inches shy of the base of the tail) if its not dorsal cut some guys are hesitant to buy, cause that right off the bat usually means you don't have alot of skinning for taxidermy experience.
    Master guide 212

had offers for 2000 for lifesize bull moose hides but i just don't see the effort being worth the value...
    try taxidermy.net to sell your hides sometimes the cabela's people are in there but you might just find some who'll actually pay you better for your hides.
    Dorsal cut is preferred (split from behind the ears to a few inches shy of the base of the tail) if its not dorsal cut some guys are hesitant to buy, cause that right off the bat usually means you don't have alot of skinning for taxidermy experience.
    me personally i like to have my lifesize dall sheep cut like a rug when i mount them, its alot easier test fitting and altering the form that way, more sewing though but i dont mind it. but dorsal cut is good to. half a dozen of one and 6 of the other.

And dont let Cabela's big name full you, I have sold them many hides and they are always looking for the cheapest way out.

Quote Originally Posted by harterstaxidermy View Post
    me personally i like to have my lifesize dall sheep cut like a rug when i mount them, its alot easier test fitting and altering the form that way, more sewing though but i dont mind it. but dorsal cut is good to. half a dozen of one and 6 of the other.

And dont let Cabela's big name full you, I have sold them many hides and they are always looking for the cheapest way out.
    So when you instruct your clients to open skin a dall sheep do you notice problems with seams in the belly area? Dorsal cut is a bit harder to work with but well worth it in the end for many species.