Thread: Boat Registration $24

Default Boat Registration $24

Well even a float type raft/boat that normally don't have a motor on it need to be Registered IF you put a outboard power source of any kind on it, and they don't care the boat length. All for the low price of $24
    But a copy of this attached Registration Form is good for temporary up to 60 days if signed and dated.
    Guess it don't have to be understood
    I called them,
    Last edited by alaskapiranha; 11-29-2008 at 12:56.

Default Inflatable boat registration

Yeah, I just did the same thing. Problem is, how do you get the numbers to stick on the hull of an inflatable boat, and then you have the problem of getting the sticker to adhere and stay on!

I ended up getting some stencils (the letters have to be at least 3" high and a contrasting color to the hull). I taped the stencils to the tubes of my cataraft and colored the letters in with a felt marker. It won't last forever, but it will be easy to touch up later.

For the decal, "I was told" (is that a formula for a citation or what?) that I could put it on the transom, so that's what I did. I don't think the USCG knows quite what to do with our rafts, and the regs are written in such a way as to make it impossible to comply precisely.

Word to the wise: DO NOT put your numbers and sticker on a board that can be removed from the boat! They will cite you for this! The concern is that you will register one of your dozen boats, and just move the board from one to another to save a few bucks. Imagine that.

Anyway, here are some pics of what I ended up doing. The lower image is the back of the transom, with the green decal visible on the right side.

-Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

What about putting the numbers on a removable transom? I have one that just straps on the the back of a round boat, and I'm sure I could put in on pretty much anybody's similar boat.

Year ago I put the decal on a plate that I mounted onto the boat with semi-permanent attachments. I doubt I was legal, but I couldn't figure out what else to do.

I was told putting the sticker on the transom was a no go (worth as much as what you were told too I bet!)

I got this idea from a buddy: On my old zodiac style inflatable I made a sticker mount out of a bit of patch material and a bottle from an empty quart of oil (buy the brand with the bottle color that matches your boat!).

Cut out a flat piece of the oil bottle that is big enough for your sticker and a little extra on the sides. Put a vertical slit through the plastic alongside the sticker. Run a strip of patch material through the slits and adhere to your boat like a normal patch job.

Maybe not the most elegant (I didn't have an orange piece of hypalon and pennzoil yellow was the closest I could come on the quart of oil), but it's a functional and cheap permenant mount for my stickers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default That's a great tip!

Quote Originally Posted by akjw7 View Post
    I was told putting the sticker on the transom was a no go (worth as much as what you were told too I bet!)

I got this idea from a buddy: On my old zodiac style inflatable I made a sticker mount out of a bit of patch material and a bottle from an empty quart of oil (buy the brand with the bottle color that matches your boat!).

Cut out a flat piece of the oil bottle that is big enough for your sticker and a little extra on the sides. Put a vertical slit through the plastic alongside the sticker. Run a strip of patch material through the slits and adhere to your boat like a normal patch job.

Maybe not the most elegant (I didn't have an orange piece of hypalon and pennzoil yellow was the closest I could come on the quart of oil), but it's a functional and cheap permenant mount for my stickers.
    Now, this makes all the sense in the world to me! I would probably go with a thicker chunk of aluminum though, for fear that the constant bending of the thinner plate you're using could fatigue the metal. I have one of those plates on my round boat. It's a metal plate secured to the boat with hypalon material. They took a chunk of material that's larger than the plate by at least an inch, and glued it to the boat. I don't think a stiffer plate would be much of a problem when you roll the boat up.

Great idea!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I wish, instead of trying to meet this BS regulation. We would get together and force our elected officials to Rewrite it to be reasonable. I talked to Palin about this when she was running. But I guess she has better things to do!
    Tim