Thread: Changing a boats name

Default Changing a boats name

I've heard old wives tales that changing a boats name is BAD Luck.
    I bought an older Thompson and have spent the entire summer re-fitting, building cabinets, re-upholstering inside, painting etc. It has been a huge project but a labor of love (or hate) fine line there....
    With all that has changed on the boat, including me as the new owner last year, Should I change the original name of the old boat or is it bad Ju-Ju?
    Any lore on such things?

I've heard the fisherman's tale. My belief is that the only thing that matters is what YOU believe - I would consider it bad jou-jou if I had a boat named after the previous owner's dead wife, for example! Good luck with the boat, I'm sure it will give you many years of joy (and pain!) in future years.

Cheers,

SH

If you're superstitous, dont' change it, if not, name it what you want.

I took a couple of co-workers out fishing last month. One of them brought bananas, the other who used to charter years ago said, oh no we won't catch any fish (partly joking)

We didn't have a great day of fishing, but did manage to limit out on rock fish and I limited on lingcod.

If you retro fitted the boat you can change it, if you just decided to change it "just because" without any reason other than changing it, you'll sink to bottom of the sea every trip next summer! Also, I believe the Exxon Valdez is on its third name now. Good luck!

Default Changin It

Finally got hold of the old owner. It was originally named after his ex-wife. Story has it she divorced him took everything. He sold the boat to pay his lawyer. Definitely gonna get changed.
    Definitely being refitted. The only thing remaining original is the Ford, OMC stern drive and the fiberglass. (When my stern drive or motor finally gasps its last I plan on a Gil Marine bracket and twin 115's) Even changing the entire color scheme. I was going to use teak on all the wood. Try getting that in Fairbanks. Whew! I spent the spring building new kitchen cabinets for my wife. I did it all in Hickory which Superior Hardwoods has in great supply. Beautiful grain and harder than woodpecker lips. Definitely gone through some router bits. I've built all new seats and cabinets plus trim all around the boat. Maintenance will be a job but the boat is turning out nice. It will be done by spring. I'll try and post some pics then. With the new name Thanks for the inputs.

Default do it afloat

http://books.google.com/books?id=R7H...#PRA1-PA104,M1

scroll down to "N", second entry, "Name, changing of".......

My folks renamed their second boat in the winter barn without ceremony........port motor threw a rod season one. In fairness, she put a lot of sea miles under the hull afterwards. Renamed their last boat at sea and along these lines. All went well for years. I say a couple of bottles and invite some fun. Maybe the prior owner would bring the first bottle with another good riddance in it for him.

I have heard that you should paint the old name on the bottom to keep the old sea gods at bay. I suppose it depends on how superstitious you are. Be sure to post some picts upon completion. I look forward to seeing the wood work.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

It involves a good bottle of champange. No don't break it on the hull, share it with friends while toasting the boat.
    The ancients used to sacrifice a virgian and lash her corpse to the bow sprit, but that's so yesterday.
    I'd stick to sacricfing some grapes, barley and hops.

Yeah, try finding a virgin these days . . . oh wait - that is SO politically incorrect these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Hotel View Post
    Yeah, try finding a virgin these days . . . oh wait - that is SO politically incorrect these days.

Now that is a funny one there sierra. It was nice meeting you at the launch this year and hope to see you on the river again this fall

Oh and I too would love to see pics of you refitted boat.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default incorrect name??

I guess "Vrigin Slayer" would definitely be politically incorrect.
    My wife is coming up with names. I'll let ya know.
    Look for a 26 ft Blue and white Thompson at Valdez next summer. Thanks for the inputs.

I believe there has to be alcohol involved in some fashion when changing the name of a boat. I don't remember how or why, but that doesn't matter

The alcohol has to do with the virgin, not the boat.

My guess it has to do with both. Get the virgin drunk. Name boat. Ummmm ill let the rest be
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

This is an accepted method of renaming a vessel.

http://www.tcc.on.ca/~dbieman/b29/Renaming%20Boat.htm

First dename, then christen. Simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    This is an accepted method of renaming a vessel.

http://www.tcc.on.ca/~dbieman/b29/Renaming%20Boat.htm

First dename, then christen. Simple.
    I like that Rod . . I just don't know if I could read that first passage after several rounds of adult beverages . . .

Talking

Alcohol & Virgins. Be very careful. That's sure to doom any boat regardless of name!
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Go ahead and change the name, just don't bring bananas on the boat.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

If you go ahead and rename your boat make sure that you get rid of EVERYTHING with the old name on it. Fenders, life rings, and anything else with the old name have to be disposed of. Then christen it with the new name before boarding it again.

Also if you are the type that doesn't tempt fate, it would be a good idea to put a silver coin in the bow of the boat permanently fixed there so that Posideon looks upon your vessel with good luck.

You can google changing a boat name and come up with a lot of info.