Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for Newbie on Whittier

Default Advice for Newbie on Whittier

I have always wanted to get in the water out by Whittier and weather permitting we wil get to see that part of the sound this coming sunday.

If you only had 10 hours on the water (rental) and wanted to sink some shrimp pots and bonk some silvers where would you go and how would you do it? Sightseeing is part of the trip also.

We will also have some rockfish and halibut gear...

Any help that anyone can give would be great. We will have some charts, distance and time is limitted (renting 22 hewes). I have never fished the salt for silvers and have never shrimped before.....and have limitted experience on the salt in personally 'captained' (term used very loosely) boats. Though I have taken boats out for halibut and kings before a couple times (and have small boat exp on large MT reservoirs).

just my 2 cents but I'd leave the shrimp pots at home

you've got 10 hours out and back

Do you really want to spend that time messing around with shrimp pots?

best case you catch a couple of pounds of shrimp and you'll spend a LOT of your day doing it

go to New Sagaya or Costco and drop $20 and enjoy your shimp without the hassle

The waters out of Whittier are gorgeous (but watch the weather and the wind off the glacier)

I'd spend the time exploring and hitting some silvers if you get lucky

Unless the regs have changed - and they might have.

Your not allowed to Shrimp as a Non Res...its personal use

Default I called

the F&G and they said that I can shrimp and that is also how I have interpreted the regulations.

I think that we will drop the pots - it can't be that hard to sink em and pull em up - guess that I will find out.

many thanks to those that sent PM's

Default Shrimping will take time and experience

I wouldn't mess with the shrimpin', you really have to have your gear set up or you'll lose it, hang it up in your prop, or burn a day pulling the gear without a puller. If you must do it, drop them near the cruise ship or cliffs acrossed from the harbor. Culross passage is incredible, good coves to check out. Who knows where the fish will be at any given day, the sightseeing is worth the trip, don't get lost.

Ditto on not bothering with the shrimp pots, without a puller it takes quite along time to pull up, plus you are most likely not to find many shrimp at all.

As far as exploring get out and check out the coves, you can find alot of cool stuff in them (past weekend we found a nice cove with lots of blueberries and salmon berries) also try fishing between 60-120 ft near dropoffs (not flat ground) for rockfish and you're almost guarenteed at bringing up something.

Default advice

Thanks for the advice on the shrimping- but I just bought the gear and will have to put it down. I just cannot imagine that it will take me all day to pull the gear - I am going to use a bouy, I have spots marked by friends, and another friend to tag along with (in a diff boat) who has shrimping experience. If it takes me all day messin with the pots I will eat my words when I get back. If I have no shrimp to go along with the tasty words - then I will eat my......hmmm, left over herring! YUCK..............

How far (mileage) is the passage from the dock? I don't have my maps with me.....

Oh didnt know you had a friend with spots.. that might help quite a bit

as far as how big passage canal is probably 10 miles?

Default I will have to look at the maps

but was wondering how far to the passage from the harbor? The other boat says that he doesn't go very far out at all to shrimp 10-12 miles. I kind of want to explore more than that a little bit.

We just got back from Whittier, 3 days, no silvers, 70 shrimp and 6 rock fish. This is coming from someone who has spent many years/weekends fishing out of Whittier. We went all the way down to Main Bay.....Good luck!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default Thanks...

......for giving me a sense of reality - that is not very good success for a three day shrimp...

So I should expect

Negative 3 silvers (hope they don't jump out of my freezer
    20 shrimp
    2 rockfish

Hmm, that will be a little bit dissapointing - but at least we won't be aiming our sights too high....

Like I have been...several hundred shrimp, limit of rockies (yelloweye I was imagining too), limit of butts, limit of ling, limit of silvers, and the stray salmon shark - landed on a butt rod and gear of course.......Heck, I was going to bring 3 150 quart coolers just to hold the filletted meat (J/K of course !

The rockfish are the easy target, silvers should be there between Culross and Decision Pt., and the shrimp are probably few and far between.

That said I`ll give it a go in a week.

AK2AZ,

Good luck, we spent one day in each spot starting at Main Bay all the way back up and we had one take my bait and run with it. In the group of boats we were around I saw one fish landed, a silver. Not good considering last year this time we were in Main Bay and landed our limit for 4 people in one hour and thats because my hubby could only land one fish at a time so we had to take turns letting down our bait.

This is not a good year, not good at all. Even yellow eye and rock fish were few and far between in our "hot spots". The rock fish we did bring home were all pretty small. We caught plenty of ling cod but none were legal.
    And 70 shrimp? Thats unheard of on our boat! lol.....

Maybe we just had bad luck all 3 days, Hey at least the water was beautiful Saturday and Sunday!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

I put out 5 pots and pulled them twice last weekend. Fewer than normal, but with the two pulls we got about 3-4 gallons. But on one string I suspect someone pulled them earlier since the weight was not clipped where I know I clipped it and one of the pots had been moved way down the line. But that's another story.

One pink and two chum for about 1/2 day of fishing with two people. A couple of take-downs but who knows what those were. Your best luck this weekend may be with the sight seeing. Can't go wrong there.

Passage canal is good enough to put the shrimp pots if you are going for a day trip, Just west of Pigot point, look for steep slope, and around 400-500ft of water, if you are pulling them by had, bring some gloves, the rope is slippery. I would pull them after 4-6 hours. Silvers are not where they usually are this time of year , so no one can give you a suggestion. We trolled by pigot point, and got 1 silver and two humpys in few hours.

I'd also say forget the shrimp pots, as they take up time you'd rather be fishing, and might prevent you from hitting some fishing spots as you'd be forced to return to them to pull them. Pulling pots by hands sucks.

As far as where to go, I'd head out to the N end of culross island and drift around the points mooching and tossing buzz bombs for silvers. Then I'd run down culross pasage and do the same at the S end. I'd also do some jigging and drop some bait around applegate for butts. Then I'd run over to the N end of Knight island and fish the pinnacles and ridges for rock fish and lings. Depending on how much time I had left and how many fish I'd need to catch I'd head to either the S ennd of Naked for butts, or the S end of Lone and Perry. There is a pinnacle in the South bay that should produce rock fish off of Perry.

If you haven't caught anything within 30 minutes of dropping a hook and or a couple of drifts, move on.

That boat is fully capable of running further out in good weather, but 10 hours isn't alot of time to cover the ground to catch fish in the sound. The route I mentioned is fairly scenic. You could also leave the Applegate and culross passage for the return route.

Personally I seldom drop a line until I hit Culross, and thats if the silvers are in, if not I run straight out to Knight before fishing.

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone - really!

I will be using a bouy and a 5 gal bucket to pull the pots - shouldn't be too big of a deal i wouldn't think. I will have them rigged and the bait frozen - they will get loaded and ready to deploy on the way out - if the waves are not too bad - drop em and do some fishing...

I might stay close with Ole Betsy out the winda in case someone likes em more than I (just kidding of course - wouldn't really shoot anyone - I am fresh out of people permits!)

Bull,

since you insist on shrimping be sure to give me a call when (not if) the weather kicks up on you and you cant get back to those pots. I'll be happy to go and retrieve them for you...

Default Not Pulling By Hand!!

Attention everyone!! He is not pulling the shrimp pots by hand (see his quote below) from 6 hours ago. While I do agree that in his 10 hr timeframe he will be burning up valuable fishing time pulling pots, this is what he has chosen to do if you read all his posts!!Bullelkklr - I started responding to another thread you posted about using a 5 gal bucket to help pull your pots - forget about that and just use a buoy - much less drag and I have never been unable to pull pots (when needed) with a buoy only. BUT I have never attempted to pull 5 pots with a buoy pull. The website hyperlink you provided in your other post stated that an 18" buoy can support 80 lbs.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Thanks for the advice on the shrimping- but I just bought the gear and will have to put it down. I just cannot imagine that it will take me all day to pull the gear - I am going to use a bouy, I have spots marked by friends, and another friend to tag along with (in a diff boat) who has shrimping experience. If it takes me all day messin with the pots I will eat my words when I get back. If I have no shrimp to go along with the tasty words - then I will eat my......hmmm, left over herring! YUCK..............

How far (mileage) is the passage from the dock? I don't have my maps with me.....

Sheesh, bunch of lazy pot pullers in here...lol.

My dad used to set crab and shrimp pots, combined about half a dozen, we'd go fish, come back, and then he'd have us haul 'em up. You don't need a winch or pot puller or some buoy rig....just a couple of teenagers!

Seriously, it's completely feasible to pull pots by hand. It's work, but it's possible and it won't take all day. It'd take us maybe an hour to pull them all by hand. Most pullers I've seen are slow by comparison, actually. Just a lot less work. Bring some gloves, though, and unless you are in excellent shape be prepared to be sore the next day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast