Thread: Hatchers pass?

Default Hatchers pass?

Hopefully I'm gonna get to bring my .22 along if my mom goes berry picking this year. With that said what kind of small game is up there besides the ground squirrels? (anyone target them/how are they)

Thanks alot and hopefully I'll be able to get out, have some fun, and post some pics

-Nick

I know there is supposed to be some grouse/ptarmigan up there. I believe there is a reg. up there on dist. from the road before shooting. Never been myself, hopefully get up there this year.

Pika (looks kinda like a ground squirrel) are in the hunting regs this year so be sure to double check before you head out. I believe they were only open in a few units.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

No shooting within a quarter mile of the road on the Palmer side of Hatcher's Pass. Not sure what the rule is on the Willow side.

Went up Hatchers a few days ago and didn't see much, except for an insane number of ground vermin. Went over the pass to the Willow side and hiked some ridges looking for ptarmigan, then walked Archangel Rd a ways looking for grouse. Didn't expect to see anything on Archangel but was surprised that we didn't see any ptarmigan. Just depends on the day I guess.

I was up there yesterday and saw what everyone else has reported, lots of marmot but nothing else. Watch you distance from the road, the rangers are up there all the time.

thanks guys, are the marmots any good to eat?

Hopefully I'll be up in the general area this weekend. It will be my first hunt and I'm kind of clueless.

I can find regs but not the specifics you guys are talking about with the road system and I'm also confused as if theres any limit to the number of ground squirrels you can take?

I'm gonna try to bag 6 or so combined with me or a buddy and use 3 for a stew and 3 for a rice dish; we'll see how it goes-

I also wish I could get into some birds or hares but am kind of thinking that isnt gonna happen being I've never been out. -any advice?

thanks again,
    Nick

The firearms restriction near the road is a park regulation not a hunting regulation. There are signs along the road that give the distance, I think it is 1/4 mile.
    The squirrel limits are given in the Regulations booket on page 116, at the bottom of the page. For squirrel, no limit, no closed season.
    However, make sure you know what you are shooting. When I was up there, all I saw was marmot which is NOT squirrel. Marmot fall under the furbearer restrictions on the bottom of page 18, "... marmot are furbearers and may be taken only under trapping regulations with a trapping license. See trapping regulations." The marmot are all over the rocky areas up high. If you go to Summit Lake and walk to the back side, you'll see lots of them. Just don't shoot them unless you want trouble with the rangers.
    For the birds, look around the low bushes. I didn't see any but that doesn't mean they weren't there.
    Good luck!

The Summit Lake State Recreation area just up the road from Independence Mine has a 1/4 mile from the road reg. where "no weapons" can be discharged. That probably means bow as well. You will see the signs. The willow side follows normal hunting regs, no shooting from, on or across the road. you won't see a sign traveling towards willow, letting you know you are good to hunt within a 1/4 mile, so you have to look back at the signs as you pass them

Marmot are a species of squirrel, so I would guess that they taste similar. You do need a trapping license to shoot them ($15) and if I am looking at the regs correctly there is no closed season or bag limit on them. Under the trapping regs you are required to salvage either the meat or hide of Marmot.

Here is a link to the trapping regs:

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul...s/trapping.pdf

Biggest thing is to make sure you have the right distance away from the road and watch for berry pickers.

Do you need to buy a trapping license if you are under 16?

No, you don't need a hunting or trapping license if you are under 16.
    By the way, the area immediately around Summit Lake is too close to the road to be legal. Higher up the mountain might be ok.
    Let us know how you do this weekend.

Anybody out there eat marmot? I've never tried them but they sure are plentiful in the mountains.

Thanks alot for the input and help guys-

Guess the plan for this weekend is primarily the fair but hopefully I'll get atleast a few hours to scout out for some game, Ill let you know how I do- and if I see some marmots they're dead and in the stew pot, I'll let you know how they taste

Im gonna keep a couple assuming that they're similar or better than squirrels due to the fact they're around berries and grass constantly

Ahhh the Marmot (see my thread "Kid again"in the bow hunting section) one of my favorite small game critters! Hunting Marmot with a bow is like sheep hunting in miniature with a hundred rams too choose from. They spook incredibly easy and are very difficult to sneak up close enough for a effective bow shot on. You have to be careful to not "skyline yourself" and be aware of wind direction at all times. Unlike sheep if you perch on a rock and sit still Marmots will often return to normal activity within a few minutes. Marmots taste like a greasy rabbit and I suspect will make passable bacon.Hope to harvest one for just such a use before they start hibernating. Be very careful of your distance from roads in Hatchers and stick to the 1/4 mile rule.....hunting is better away from the roads anyway. Pika are open in areas 12 and 20 only but I see tons of them up in hatchers. Ground ssquirrel have no limit no closed season and are a hoot to fling a arrow at.....much better eating than there forest dwelling cousins too.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Bad news guys, valley trip got a last minute cancel due to some complications so we're heading to whittier for the weekend =/
    Ill post a report in the fishing section when I get back though

Hit Hatchers yesterday to do a lil berry picking/bird hunting.

Few Berries

Few Birds.

Did flush a group of about 6 ptarmigan near the top of the pass, unfortunately it was right off the road in the "no shooting for 1/4 mile" area.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!