Thread: .375 lever gun?

Default .375 lever gun?

Hey guys, does anyone make a lever gun in .375?

.375 H&H ? No.

But .375 Winchester, yes. Winchester Model 94 Big Bore in .375 Winchester makes a nice brush gun (meaning short ranges, not any type of ability to shoot thru brush).

You could also probably re-barrel something into .375 JDJ (.444 necked down to .375).

You could also MAYBE neck down a .405 Winchester in a model 1895 and re-barrel into a .375-.405 wildcat. Any thoughts?

Delta Junction AK

You could also rebarrel a Browning BLR in a 30-06 based caliber to the little known .375 Whelen. .30-06 blown out to .375- pretty similar to the .375 Winchester.

Depending on what you're doing with it a .35 Whelen or a .338 WM BLR might be as close as you get.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

.375 Lever gun current production is a big fat NO. However you can still find a number of used Lever guns chambered in .375 Winchester. Marlin 375, Winchester Big Bore 375, and if you have deep enough pockets, Savage 99 in 375 Winchester.

I personally have one each of the Marlin and Winchester BB in 375 Winchester and really enjoy both rifles. Power wise, they are probably in about the same league as the 35 Remington but have a twist rate to stabilize bullets substantially heaver than the 35 Remington. Suitable jacketed bullets are rather limited with most running around 200 to 220 grains in weight from Hornady, Sierra and Speer. Barnes also makes a 250 grain “original” that is reported to be an excellent choice, but at nearly $1 each, I have not tried them. Cast bullets can be used effectively and with good accuracy thru both of my rifles and are available in a variety of weights and styles. I recommend gas check style if you are planning on shooting them from a Marlin with the “micro-groove” barrel. Reloader #7 seems to be the powder of choice for this round.

There are also numerous 38-55 rifles out there that generally run about .379 but the recent ones made by Marlin are every bit as strong as those chambered in the 375 Winchester and can be loaded accordingly.

There are also a number of guys who have re-barreled from 444 to 375 JDJ but I understand that significant modifications may be necessary and you are still limited to flat nose bullets to preclude magazine detonation.

See also the Marlin owners forum below for much more substantial and in-depth information regarding the 375 Winchester chambering in Marlin rifles.

Without my loading records at hand, I seem to recall that I was getting about 2100 – 2200 fps with the Hornady 220 grain bullets and 1900 fps with the Lyman 265 grain cast, flat nose gas check bullets. Those numbers are from the Winchester BB, and for the Marlin I typically see a reduction of about 50 – 75 fps. Don’t really know why. Perhaps the differences in chamber dimensions or the rifling.

This round should be more than adequate for knocking over Moose at ranges out to perhaps 150 yards provided the heaver bullets are used. Reports from the above mentioned forum indicate that it has a good reputation on Deer, Hogs and Elk within its range limitations.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio