Thread: Valdez Shrimp Pot Thief

Angry Valdez Shrimp Pot Thief

There is a thief out there somewhere.....we had our pots stole Saturday morning 8/16/08. They were set between Jacks Bay and Galana Bay. They were taken by someone with a Phantom Sport Jon. If anyone has any info. please let me know....... Thanks

Default That sucks

may there boat capsize and you find them holding on to your gear

Interesting. Earlier this summer way out in Culross Passage we saw two guys in a jon boat, we assumed they came from some hatchery near by like on Esther island. We just didn't think they could make it way out there in a little boat like that. What the heck were they doing was out first question. How did you gather that it was a phantom sport jon?

so how did you know it was a phantom sport jon?

Talked with a native fellow that was checking his pots, he saw the boat and assummed that the pots were theirs.

That is to bad! We have had some problems with people robbing shrimp out of our pots near allison pt. Kinda figured my gear was safer outside the straights away from alot of the rental fleet? Truely sad times here in Alaska when we can drop our gear without worring about someone stealing it!

Talking

Down here in Florida, if you get caught messing with a lobster pot or a crab pot they throw the book at you. Major fines and maybe jail time if it's sever enough. Also confiscation of your boat happens.....Although they say it's better to get caught by the law than the guy whose lobster you're stealing.

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

I would be interested in putting together a list of dates,and places where people have had pots messed with or stole to see if there is any system to it,(weekend or weekday and general areas). It hasn't happened to me yet but could,anyone interested?

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Although they say it's better to get caught by the law than the guy whose lobster you're stealing.
    True, you may just end up being the shrimp bait
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default less than years past

Ive only been ripped off twice this year and lost 1 pot. Whats bad is that I consider it a good year.Thought I was gonna make it thru the year with no gear loss until the weekend of aug.9th when my one of my pots went missing. Usually, the COMMERCIAL FISHERMAN clean out your pots when they move them so they can fish the area your pots may be in but at least the leave your gear.
    flame on baby

I had 2 pots stolen from Jacks Bay the 1st week of June and then when I got back to Valdez they stole the pot puller and 2 rods from my boat. Karma will get them sooner or later.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I don't believe in Karma. Justice, yes.

I was talking to a local last month and they did in fact catch one guy who was stealing shrimp out of pots. I dont know much of the details, but I guess they did throw the book at him. They contacted the athorities and had him arrested. Dont know what all he was charged with, but I am sure he got off easy compared to what would could have happened if the owner found him. I know what I would do if I caught him!