Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tenders on your ocean boat

Default Tenders on your ocean boat

How many of you guys register them with or without a power source? I never have. Bought a 2hp honda this spring. Thinking of taking raft and motor up the Haul Road at the end of the month, just in case type thing and to use to get across the rivers or a lake to get away from other hunters. I just looked it up and any boat with a power source needs to be registered, from what I understood from what I read.

Most tenders I have, even with a motor are not registered. If it is a life raft it doesn't need to be technically. But from what I seen most use the rafts to get to shore so... Just wondering if it needs to be when on my regular boat? Looks like if I took it hunting with the motor I will need to get it registered. What do you guys do?

In bad parts of the world putting your mothership's name or number on a tender and going to shore with it gives criminals the information they need to know that your not on your yacht that is achored off shore. Putting a number on your dinghy and getting charged for a useless sticker or tag that won't stick seems pointless.

Default Just another tax

I don't, I won't, no way.

Default Registering your tender

Here's the Alaska Statute:

Sec. 05.25.055. Registration and numbering of boats.
    (i) The following boats are exempt from the numbering and registration provisions of this section:
    (4) a boat that is not equipped with mechanical propulsion;

What that means is that if you have a motor on your tender, dinghy, skiff or any boat for that matter that doesn't meet any other exemptions, you are required by state law to register it. Ocean boat tenders with a motor are required to be registered in Alaska.

You guys out there who like to ignore the law by deciding that it's "pointless", "useless" or "just another tax" can happily pay the fine if/when you get caught.....just don't start whining about it when you do; the rest of us who obey the law don't want to hear it.

Example: One year they decided to require canoes must be registered for $10, I went and paid the ten dollars. The next year it wasn't required and went back to how it was forever. Who's the dumb monkey with nothing else to do that decided canoes should be required to be registered in Alaska? Who's the smart monkey who squashed the dumb one the next year? Where are canoes usually located in Alaska? Shed, backyard fence, under a dock, by the wood pile, on the side of the house, around a boat yard, a cabin, etc. It's a money grab nothing more.

Default Dinhy

I registered mine after I bought my 2hp. What's it cost, $10 for 2 or 3 years? Anyway, I use it to tool around a PWS cove once in a while. I made the number/letter stickers for nearly free on a 2" label maker. If they peel off, which they haven't in 2 years, I'll replace them. I put the registration sticker on the transom. Not completely legal, but may be enough to avoid any hassles with the law.

Quote Originally Posted by SE Mike View Post

You guys out there who like to ignore the law by deciding that it's "pointless", "useless" or "just another tax" can happily pay the fine if/when you get caught.....just don't start whining about it when you do; the rest of us who obey the law don't want to hear it.
    It is pointless, useless and just another tax. However after paying one $60 ticket already this year I broke down and decided to comply.

They got the ticket books so whatcha gonna do???

Default I will register next season

for sure. Maybe now if I decide to take the motor up the Haul Road. I had thought for some reason it was if the boat was under 10' even with a motor it didn't need to be registered. But now I know.

What is a good way to get the numbers to stick to the alaska series rafts? I keep mine deflated, so not sure if that will make them want to stick less. I guess I will just have to contact Jim King.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    for sure. Maybe now if I decide to take the motor up the Haul Road. I had thought for some reason it was if the boat was under 10' even with a motor it didn't need to be registered. But now I know.

What is a good way to get the numbers to stick to the alaska series rafts? I keep mine deflated, so not sure if that will make them want to stick less. I guess I will just have to contact Jim King.

I bought my raft used and it already had AK numbers and an old registration sticker right on the tube. It looks like the AK numbers were spray painted on over stencils. I don't know how long ago they were painted, but I've had it for four years and they still are looking pretty good. The old registration sticker was on there real good too, so I just put the new sticker on over it.

hi guys I think about it,We were there just this last Feb. did a partial transit round trip from Ft. Lauderdale. When we got to the canal, went through 1st set of locks; you will then sail into Gatun Lake. Once there we had picked the excursion that consisted of a 200 passenger boat that then goes across the lake and sails onto the 2nd and 3rd set of locks, then ends up on the Pacific Ocean side near Panama City. We were then transported back to the ship via bus ride and then a boat back to the ship. I cannot begin to tell you the experience of going through the canal on a big ship and experience on a smaller boat going through the last locks. I felt like a small ant going through those locks.

rocky

Montana Drug Treatment

I ordered a plate from these guys for my inflatable. You glue it on like a patch and your done.
    EZ.
    http://www.boatnumberplate.com/home

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Washington rules allow owners' to disregard licensing (and fees) if they meet certain criteria-dinghy size, motor size, intended use.
    The BOATNUMBERPLATE meets the licensing req.s for size + spacing while providing a near-permanent "tattoo" so you'll never have to tell the sheriff, "Somebody stole my inflatable from the guest dock. It was the grey one".

Default Just registered

tonight. Only $24 and now we are legal for the hunt on the Haul Road.

Hey Steve/Stid, what type of method did you use to apply to your boat? PVC or Hapolyn? Did you do anything different? Same brand but I have a 9.5 foot round tender. Thanks for the info guys. Might do some decals for now, leaving next week. But pretty cool with the whole patch thing.

They glue on with PVC raft repair cement. Comes with good instructions.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default So...

... said the Torries.

Default Taxation without representation

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SE Mike

... said the Torries.
    Good stuff Sayak,,,lol
    I thought about that a few years ago when I registered no less than 38 canoes and Kayak at my rental outfit...
    Then ,, it dawned on me that Someone would soon show up to Represent the Tax.... anouther State employee job created ,, for what?

Then someone ,, who I have no idea said that it was not legitmate and stopped it, but ,, It will return,, I promise you...
    said the Torries,,,
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Those plates look great and I remember seeing them when I had to do this, but my boat isn't nearly as nice as yours Steve so I just bought the cheaper paint at west marine that came with the stencils (thought seriously about a sharpie!)

Then made myself a little plate for my sticker (just posted a pic of it today - here)

Pretty sad that it costs more to put the numbers and sticker on than to register.

Default Another annoying fee...

Drive to and from DMV at lunch, stand in line at DMV, if your lucky only an hour. Pay fee at DMV, OOPS! you don't have all the right papers or hull numbers, come back another day and repeat the process. Go to West Marine, there out of it, go elsewhere, there out of it, finally after a long search you find the stuff to make numbers, it's a another chunk of money. You haul your boat in the yard, garage, off it's rack wherever to work on applying the numbers, it only takes a little bit of time, but really your evening is gone or a big hole is shot in the weekend. What have you spent? What is the odds of getting a "tender ticket"? Some things need not be so dam regulated!

Default Over regulated??

I sure can't deny that DMV can be a hassle....but then, about anything is...if you don't want to do it in the first place. I must have hit some raw nerves about my first post on this thread...my bad. I was a little worried that akrstabout was getting some bad advice and ended up opening a real can of worms for some of you, eh? Looks like he ended up getting registered anyway, good on him.

I can't help but believe many boaters don't understand the benefits of registration. Alaska passed a boating safety law in 1999-2000; prior to that, we were the only state without a law. "Great!" you might say, "We don't need more laws anyway!"

Prior to Alaska passing the law, the Coast Guard did boat registrations and Alaska didn't get a dime of Wallop-Breaux funds (motorboat fuel tax returned to boaters for boating safety and sport fish restoration). Now, we do....and the amount we get is partially predicated on the number of registered boats.

Myers, you couldn't be more wrong about your assessment of the paddle boat registration (although, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, even if facts don't back you up very well.) When the original bill was introduced and went through the committee referrals and passed both house and senate, paddle boats were included with the registration requirement....the thought process was that paddlecraft were using the same facilities funded by motorboat users and not paying their fair share....however, ten dollars really doesn't amount to a fair share, but it did help the numbers of registered boats which helped Ak. get more federal money. (now we get less...)

When the first sunset came up, the paddlers were able to get the requirement rescinded. Money grab? Hardly. The state couldn't buy an SUV with the money 'captured' by paddleboat registrations; in fact, with the permanent fund/energy checks this year, the state gives back the entire amount that they would have gotten with paddleboat registrations before they write checks to only 10 people. Face it, I think its more about the 'hassle' for you or the chance to complain on the forum, because if it's about the 10 bucks......

Oh, and there's only one r in "Tories" ...and, we are all represented (albeit not always very well), aren't we??

Default You're right...

Oh, and there's only one r in "Tories" ...and, we are all represented (albeit not always very well), aren't we??
    ... about the spelling. I erred.

I stood in line for two hours today at the Soldotna DMV to register my garage sale special, dinky little jon boat. What a collective waste of man hours. Two stations open of the possible six. One half hour for the numbers to change. I hope it is an appropriate use of my money in the long run

You wouldn't be from Juneau would you? Folks from Juneau seem to thrive on regulation and the wonderful benefits of government grabbing into our pockets. I know... it's all for our own good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast