Thread: Favorite line for Sockeye

Default Favorite line for Sockeye

Whats your favorite mono brand and weight for Kenai Sockeye?

Ande 25lb mono on a 10 weight ugly stick with a Shimano Mooching Reel. No balance, looks bulky, over kill on the line but if you fish rapids and strong current it will stop a 2x4 in the water. I use 30lb mono same reel and rod for Kings on Ship.

15lb Maxima Ultragreen.

20-25 lb. Big Game bright green mono on a 8wt. No fly line, just mono. 30 lb. vanish leader.
    jim

Default Line

FS 8wt fly line with Maxima 15# leader. Orvis rod. Fenwick reel.

30 # big game spooled on a fly reel. Fly pole to make it easier to flip. Weight 5 feet up from hook.

Just watch out for the reel handle when a red decides he wants to swim to the next area code.

25lb test Stren yellow colored mono attached to a 7 weight Cabelas fly rod and a Sage reel.

20lb maxima ultragreen with a 8wt St Croix flyrod and Galvan reel

Default line

I used 12lb maxima ultragreen with no problems and even caught a 45lb king with it. You just have to learn to handle the fish correctly. 17 lb would be better.

Arrow Heavier the Better for Kenai Reds

When I first began fishing the Kenai River, I started out using 15-pound mono. After a few drifts though, the line would get shredded on the rocks and snap like kite string when I finally hooked up with a sockeye.

I gradually increased the line strength by going to 20 pound and then 25 pound. It may seem like overkill, but ultimately I settled on 30-pound test.

Keep in mind that sockeye don't tend to be very leader shy. However, never in a million years would I have imagined needing that heavy of a line.

After all, I grew up catching coho salmon and steelhead on 6-pound leader in the Pacific Northwest.

Yet, Alaska's rivers are an entirely different ballgame as far as I'm concerned, especially considering the added challenges of landing a fish in a combat fishing environment.

Of course, you can get away with using much lighter line in the Russian and other small streams. It certainly makes for a more sporting pursuit.

Lastly, I prefer Maxima UltraGreen as leader on an 8 weight fly rod for sockeye. Ande performs well under the stress of flipping on the Kenai, too. Recently, I bought some Penn mono, but haven't tried it thus far.