Thread: good deal on this motor?

Default good deal on this motor?

I found a 60 horse, evinrude 1986 with a jet lower and the prop lower with controls. The motor fired right up and got a clean bill of health from big lake marine. Includes the controls for 700.00

The guy selling it just bought the boat and wants to put his fourstroke on. The first time he started the motor is when I was there.

Bad news is that the jet lower needs bearings and the impeller needs sharpening. In fact they beveled the blade the wrong way so probably needs to be re welded. Also the prop is junk.

So should I buy or forget?

It sounds like an ok deal. But, here are some considerations: Is the housing on the jet pump still good? Do you think you can get the bearings out? Did they spin in the housing? Also, if the pump bearings are shot, how many hours does this thing have on it? Sounds like a lot.....You may as well just get a new impeller and sleeve while you are in there.

To me, it sounds like you could be getting a very good jet pump for less than 1000 dollars after all is said and done. Or, you could be getting something that is going to take a lot of labor to repair and kill you in parts.

To sum it up - be careful

well the inside of the housing is really scratched up, looks like the impeller ground around in there. The outside and the grate look new. The bearings move but you can tell they are shot. I think instead of lots of hours it was poorly assembled the first time.

Im pretty clueless with the jet stuff.