Thread: Bullet Seating Issue....

Default Bullet Seating Issue....

While trying to seat 150 & 160 gr NP's as dummie's and with powder, I noticed I was slightly crushing my case necks. The rifle is a 270 Wby mag, and I'm using fatcory 1 X brass that has been FL sized/trimmed/deburred. Any Ideas???? I measured my expander ball at .277 and .276 (have 2 stems) and tried them both without much dif. Any help would be great.

Thanks, Jake

Try backing the seater die out about a turn and lowering the stem to compensate.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by CZ_IN_AK View Post
    While trying to seat 150 & 160 gr NP's as dummie's and with powder, I noticed I was slightly crushing my case necks. The rifle is a 270 Wby mag, and I'm using fatcory 1 X brass that has been FL sized/trimmed/deburred. Any Ideas???? I measured my expander ball at .277 and .276 (have 2 stems) and tried them both without much dif. Any help would be great.

Thanks, Jake
    I'm clueless if you have a good chamfer (debur) on the inside of the case necks, unless as K9Cop suggests, the die is seated so low that it's trying to crimp into a nonexistent canelure on the bullet.

Use a .0001 mic (1") mic, and measure the heel of the bullet. It could vary well be the die your bullets were made in have worn beyond the point and made the bullet a little bigger at the heel. You want to see no more than say .2774. Beyond that and this could be your problem. Assuming this is a flat base bullet, and you measure the pressure ring at the heel.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Thanks, Jake
    Jake,
    It is a good idea to make dummies.....but you can't make 'em do much.

By crushing the case necks I guess you mean vertically which I would say is engaging the crimp ring on the seating die. The first way to set the seater up is to lower the handle (raise the ram) with a shell holder and empty case in the ram. Then screw the die into the press until it just contacts the case neck then back the die off at least 1/2 turn. This will give about .035" clearance from the case mouth to the crimp ring. Now lock down the die lock ring and do not change this setting unless you find it necessary to crimp then that would be done in a seperate operation after seating and readjustment. I do not crimp anything under 375 caliber for a bolt gun.

The expander ball, or button shoud be about .001" to .002" smaller than bullet diameter to insure correct fit. For the 270 that would be .275" to .276". According to die makers and loading manuals but that depends on the neck dimension of the sizer. But I have found the .001" less to be about right for just about everything with my dies. But I don't think your expanders are too small so not likely the culprit. RCBS expanders usually are sized .001" but they are not very smooth and hard to measure accurately. I really like the RCBS dies. They have very well polished concentric bodies but the expander is a scourge. I don't like the stem or the way it goes into the die (or comes out) and I don't like the decapper or the way the pin is held in the die or the expander buttons. Redding is hands down a better system but their dies aren't as smooth. Life is a compromise.

Another possible cause of the crunching of the neck could be not enough chamfer of the case mouth. I like to use the longer tapered (VLD) style of chamferring tool. Other than these two things I don't think it is a loading tool issue. Bullet base ridges are rare in in partitions but could happen as Al suggested. Could you give us a picture of the crunched dummy? Or is it a crash dummy?
    Last edited by Murphy; 08-21-2008 at 08:17.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default ..........

Well I'm a retard

I forgot I cleaned all my dies a few months ago... and hadn't loaded with these since. So it was just a simple matter of re-adjusting the them I forgot about the post or I would have replied earlier.

Thanks guys, Jake

Well I'm a retard

I forgot I cleaned all my dies a few months ago... and hadn't loaded with these since. So it was just a simple matter of re-adjusting the them I forgot about the post or I would have replied earlier.

Thanks guys, Jake
    I know how that goes. I am so perfect that I have to really screw up once on a while just to balance the scales. I usually go too far with that!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?