Thread: Spruce goruse found..

Default Spruce goruse found..

I put a few miles on today searching some low country expecting to find some Sprucies for the dogs and finally...........and I mean finally found a bunch and only killed three.Mainly to get my dogs birdy,and Im so excited my younger pup finally clicke on what she had to do even witht he Alpha ***** around no command she went right on over and retrieved that bird and brought it right to me.Im extremely happy with her.Daniel

Congratulations to you and your pup. I remember when my Brittany (years ago in a far away land) pointed her first bird. I had my doubts about that dog many times, but he came through in the end. It was odd too ...the first bird she pointed was a wild turkey ...while we were pheasant hunting! It's hard to beat a fine Fall day hunting birds with your dogs

Brian

Thanks Brian.She's been going thru the motions and all and I was literally floored to see her take off and retrieve the bird.I did notice these early Spruce had lighter meat than usual,and dang if they didnt tatse god for once

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel in Ak View Post
    Thanks Brian.She's been going thru the motions and all and I was literally floored to see her take off and retrieve the bird.I did notice these early Spruce had lighter meat than usual,and dang if they didnt tatse god for once

Daniel
    My brittany was so dumb when he was young ...I had a frozen pheasant that I'd take out of the freezer, drag around a field with a string, then leave hidden in tall grass ...the silly dog would get all excited, follow the trail, and end up STANDING on the bird with one foot and still not know where the bird was, or which way to point ...like little kids being told to pick something up and you point to it right in front of them, yet they still don't see it. It's all fun though and he out-grew that stage as you'd expect. I used to 'fly' wings around the living room by hanging one off some fishing line (my trout rod) and 'land' it on the ground. He'd sneak up and try to pounce on the wing ...but I'd jerk it away ('flushing bird') each time until he learned to point and respond to commands to point. If she pointed while I walked up to and past the bird, he got to play with the wing a bit as reward. It worked. The dog learned that jumping birds doesn't get the bird, that pointing did ...and behaved that way in the field too. I think I used that Gun Dog book as well. His training started early, way earlier than usual, but the book said that it 'pretrains' the dog's brain or something and that you get better results in the long run.

Brian

cool! Congrats on the dogs training Brian thats a great reward to see the dogs figure it out.I'd like to get mine to point moreso than the run and flush em.I dont mind when we are in the woods and she does that,cause Im ready you know,but when the birds are in the road and Im trying to get them to walk into the woods its all Ramsey can do to contain herself.Daniel