Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Venison Brats/Italian Sausage Recipe?

Default Venison Brats/Italian Sausage Recipe?

Anybody got a good recipe for venison brats or Italian sausages they'd care to share? Gotta use up a couple bags of scraps before I fill the freezer for the fall.

God bless.
    Fr. Joe

HuntingForGod.com

I got this recipe from a UAF Cooperative Extension Service bulletin about 25 years ago! It's been a favorite ever since.

Italian Sausage

25 pounds meat, 1/2 pork and 1/2 beef or venison, reindeer, caribou or moose
    (we've rarely used that much pork, usually less then 1/3)
    6-8 ounces salt
    3 heaping teaspoons pepper
    3 teaspoons mace
    1 teaspoon nutmeg
    1 teaspoon cloves
    2 teaspoons allspice
    Garlic to taste

Mix meat and seasonings. Put into casings or into packages the right size for your family. Store in deep freeze.

Hope you enjoy it!
    Carolyn

For a 10 pound batch

5 pounds of lean Venison
    5 pounds of fatty pork Or ground pork
    5 tbsp salt
    1 tbsp cracked fennel seed
    2 tsp course black pepper
    1 tbsp sugar
    3 tsp crushed hot pepper (more if you like)
    1 tsp caraway seeds
    1 tbsp coriander
    2 1/2 cups ice water.

Grind both meats and mix by hand.
    Mix all spices and water and pour over meat
    Mix by hand again
    grind meat again through a finer plate than the first grind
    If you have a sausage stuffer you can make links.
    If you don't have a stuffer you can make Italian patty's
    there just as good but you use a hamb. bun instead.

For Bratwurst, you leave out the Fennel and the hot pepper and add 2 tsp of mustard powder

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by verlaskan View Post
    For a 10 pound batch

5 pounds of lean Venison
    5 pounds of fatty pork Or ground pork
    5 tbsp salt
    1 tbsp cracked fennel seed
    2 tsp course black pepper
    1 tbsp sugar
    3 tsp crushed hot pepper (more if you like)
    1 tsp caraway seeds
    1 tbsp coriander
    2 1/2 cups ice water.

Grind both meats and mix by hand.
    Mix all spices and water and pour over meat
    Mix by hand again
    grind meat again through a finer plate than the first grind
    If you have a sausage stuffer you can make links.
    If you don't have a stuffer you can make Italian patty's
    there just as good but you use a hamb. bun instead.

For Bratwurst, you leave out the Fennel and the hot pepper and add 2 tsp of mustard powder

Verlaskan.... thanks... we just finished making 40lbs of caribou sausage in the bulk. with this recipe...its great !!!!!!!!!!!! we used 25 lb caribou and 15 lb pork shoulders... i think it worked out as both front quarters of the bou. and two shoulder roast from pork... found an easy way to mix all the meat to we double bagged 2 white trash bags and used that for mixing... it was easy being able to fold the bag over and over to stir the meat and mix in the seasoning... in one bulk lot rather then try to do a bunch of small ones in a bowl....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

gotta bump this up as we just spent the day making Italiana and bratwana's off this recipe...

SWWWWEEEEETTTTTT!!!

got have it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I know this is an old thread, but want to say thanks to Veralaskan also, that is a great recipe!!!!

We're making some more tonight!!

Great tip Vince on the double garbage bags!!

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but want to say thanks to Veralaskan also, that is a great recipe!!!!

still using this recipe... LOVE IT!

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post

Any chance you could give Barb a couple for us to try. I would love to make some myself but would love to sample "Yours" first.

hey its that time of year... time to bump this tasty thread up...

meet on face book here

Anyone try this recipe with Mt. Goat meat? Would I need to do anything extra to tenderize first?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Anyone try this recipe with Mt. Goat meat? Would I need to do anything extra to tenderize first?
    AL!!!!!

you dont need to tenderize ground meat.

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    hey its that time of year... time to bump this tasty thread up...
    Yep Vince, thanks for bringin it to the top or I wouldn't have found it. I process my own meat and have for years. Always nice to try a new sausage recipe.
    As for Kodiacrains comment about tenderizing burger. Grinders come with course, medium and fine grinder attachments. If ya want it more tender than that I'd be looking in the babyfood blender department at walmart...lol
    JK...like Vince said, it's tender when ya grind it.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    . If ya want it more tender than that I'd be looking in the babyfood blender department at walmart...lol
    well truth be told he DID do back to back Elk and goat hunts ... might be all he is up to at the moment

meet on face book here

I have FOUR deer (3 does & 1 button buck) hanging on the meat pole right now. Also have generous amounts of wild pork in the freezer from a trip to Texas I took last month. Plans in the works to mix the two together later this week (have to do the work thing until Friday) using this recipe. Going to be a GREAT winter!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    well truth be told he did do back to back elk and goat hunts ... Might be all he is up to at the moment
    lmao..............

Quote Originally Posted by nuprofessor View Post
    I have FOUR deer (3 does & 1 button buck) hanging on the meat pole right now. Also have generous amounts of wild pork in the freezer from a trip to Texas I took last month. Plans in the works to mix the two together later this week (have to do the work thing until Friday) using this recipe. Going to be a GREAT winter!!!
    PM me and I might give you my secret breakfast sausage recipe. Use Breakfast sausage as the subject or I may ignore you for awhile til I clean my inbox.........lol

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    PM me and I might give you my secret breakfast sausage recipe. Use Breakfast sausage as the subject or I may ignore you for awhile til I clean my inbox.........lol
    i got one too... i should prolly add to this thread as i have used Ver's so much

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    AL!!!!!

you dont need to tenderize ground meat.

Ok, Har, Har, Har, you guys,

but I meant something like ageing, marinating.....
    You know ways to make it tastier, smoother..... Shoot, I have a six yr old Billy Goat on my hands, it smells like goat in the kitchen while I'm wrapping the cuts, my wife is in Hawaii with the little one visiting friends, so I gotta make something happen here. (the smell of goat I was enjoying last night, she will NOT go for believe me)

She is looking "not so excited" about the idea of Goat meat anyway, so I am hoping to salvage my reasons/excuses for further Mt. Goat hunts with some kitchen magician stuff quick before she returns.........

Good enough for ya?
    We had some tenderloin on the boat, fresh off the hill and it tasted pretty good, at least neutral, y'kno we're gorging on Elk these days so nothing compares... but that tenderloin was a bit chewy,

So get the question now? Spices you add to the grind(?), "grind it twice" kind of tips(?). Anything to make it as good as possible.
    I'm searching the forums for recipes and all these great sausage recipes never suggest using Goat, so........
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

You know ways to make it tastier, smoother..... Shoot, I have a six yr old Billy Goat on my hands, it smells like goat in the kitchen while I'm wrapping the cuts, my wife is in Hawaii with the little one visiting friends, so I gotta make something happen here. (the smell of goat I was enjoying last night, she will NOT go for believe me)

She is looking "not so excited" about the idea of Goat meat anyway, so I am hoping to salvage my reasons/excuses for further Mt. Goat hunts with some kitchen magician stuff quick before she returns.........

Good enough for ya?
    We had some tenderloin on the boat, fresh off the hill and it tasted pretty good, at least neutral, y'kno we're gorging on Elk these days so nothing compares... but that tenderloin was a bit chewy,

So get the question now? Spices you add to the grind(?), "grind it twice" kind of tips(?). Anything to make it as good as possible.
    I'm searching the forums for recipes and all these great sausage recipes never suggest using Goat, so........
    Does your wife like a little garlic in her food? If so you can put about a half teaspoon of powdered garlic per pound of ground meat before you freeze it. Write seasoned ground beef on the packages before you freeze it. She won't know any different. Unless you talk in your sleep, then your dead meat and she may put the garlic in your bags............lol

Good enough for ya?

how to make... grind meat course...

dump all ground meat in white bags..

if using any whole spice crack it in the coffee grinder.. Fennel is one that comes in seed form and should be cracked or ground

mix according to recipe.. don't be afraid to substitute a nice white wine for water i don't add any pork or fat anylonger... and it comes out great though a good scale for weighing meat is handy to spice for correctly LBS... plus i add a tad extra for taste in the pepper dept.

pour all in bag with meat and close bag tight and get to mixing on the table top like kneading bread dough... the bag allows you to fold over and over with out messing every thing up..

regrind with medium blades and package ... i use a 1 1/2 inch tube on the grinder and stuff directly into bags... or pack into vac bags and smoosh flat.

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast