Thread: Suggestions for women's warm, quiet rain gear?!

Default Suggestions for women's warm, quiet rain gear?!

After reading testimonial after testimonial in the catalogs of how each product listed is absolutely the best, and trying to find something at the local stores, I am at a loss!!

I am a short, slender person of the female gender and I have been desperately seeking something that is NOT bulky, yet waterproof, and somewhat warm. Mainly waterproof!! The guys all wear wool, which is good for them, but they are also alot bigger! With the weight of wet wool, and everything else ya gotta pack, that would kick my butt in no time. lol

So many fabrics are noisy, and if you are gonna make some noise in the brush, you might just as well wear your helly's!

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    I am a short, slender person of the female gender and I have been desperately seeking something that is NOT bulky, yet waterproof, and somewhat warm. Mainly waterproof!!!
    My wife just picked up some Browning XPO gear and so far its been pretty good.

It is available in women's specific sizes- Frontier Outfitters in Squarebanks stocks it but I've not seen it much elsewhere other than mail order..

Try going to swazi.co.nz. They are in New Zealand and make some great products. Depending on what your pri$e range is-look at Arcteryx(moosejaw.com is reasonable). My wife likes the Theta AR jacket.

Browning Hydro Fleece w/ Goretex has been the best we've found, and we've tried several. My wife still prefers Impertech over a light "pretty" jacket!

Thumbs up second...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    My wife still prefers Impertech over a light "pretty" jacket!
    No wife, but I second this. For hiking, my sister likes to wear Precip over the top of whatever fleece. I would go with Impertech for hunting...layer fleece under and you will still be less weight than goretex or Browning or whatever...and your layered!

Thumbs up Impertech......

We have tried and use lots of the high tech water proof garments and fleece. The lightest most water proof gear we own is Helly Hansen's Impertech. She likes the pants and I like the bibs.

Default check out

riverswest.com - sportsmans sells them and B & J also - it is quiet - is HH impertech quiet?

Default Please don't go this route...

Quote Originally Posted by rivrat View Post
    riverswest.com - sportsmans sells them and B & J also - it is quiet - is HH impertech quiet?
    Sorry rivrat, I cannot even begin to agree with you on this one. Definitely NOT waterproof and EXTREMELY heavy, especially when wet all the way through. Do a search on Riverswest on here and you will be hard pressed to find too many good things about it.

my .02

Default I think any..

rain gear that is of cloth material will eventually leak. I have tried some gortex, etc. and they all began to leak. Just got the wife a set of impertech and she loves it. I will be buying a set also. I use one of Wiggy's poncho not sure what it is made out of "lamilite?" and it is awesome stuff to say the least.

Default buck n rut

NYET on rivers west!!!---this is not so complicated---think of boots ---danner,lowas,miendl etc are fine for a lot of applications,but when you want WATERPROOF you put on rubber,ie XTRA TUFFS--there are lots of good outer layers,but for waterproof,you need rubber

But the HH Impertech probably isn't quiet??? I would love to hunt in my Helly's (I don't have the Impertech) but they are pretty darn noisy when hiking or sneaking thru the alders!!

Default Somewhat true...

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    But the HH Impertech probably isn't quiet??? I would love to hunt in my Helly's (I don't have the Impertech) but they are pretty darn noisy when hiking or sneaking thru the alders!!
    You are correct, HH is not the quietest product out there, but it is one of the most waterproof and "hunting-friendly" pieces of raingear out there...nice and streeeechee and tough!

Here is what I did on a moose hunt last weekend. I wore Patagonia Capilene long handles with Impertech over the top. I wrap the cuffs of my pants tight to my legs/ankles and strap them with neoprene wader gators. Wore jacket as normal. When I spotted an animal, I shed the jacket and throw on a fleece. I then tighten up the pants so there is no 'swish-swash' noise and carry on with stalking the animal. I crawled up to within 25 yards of a cow moose...it only looked at me once.

I'm sure it would be tougher to get within that distance of a deer or ram, but if I were after a 'once in a lifetimer' and I needed to get close...I'd shed everything

Default forgot to mention..

one piece of gear that I have yet to try is Sitka Gear...I've heard great things about it, but I still doubt it a little. Worth a look at I presume.

Good Luck!

Josh:

Check Lujon's report of failed Sitka gear pants.