Thread: Any Shore fishing opportunities in Sitka?

Default Any Shore fishing opportunities in Sitka?

Hello,

I am traveling to Sitka ( for the first time) on the 28th of August
    I am on a charter boat until around 3/4 Pm every day
    Is there any thing to catch from shore when we are on shore time?
    Bottomfishing from the docks or shoreline? coho in the streams?
    Any help would be great

Smile South of Town

If you go south of town, you'll be able to catch/release for pinks in the Totem Pole park. It's a great walk from downtown Sitka! The Totem Pole park is a great walk in and of itself and the fishing will be a bonus. I'm not sure if there's silvers mixed with the pinks but when I was down there about 7 years ago it was a beautiful place. You can shore fish from some of the areas for salmon, I do remember seeing them from some of the bridges and walkways around the various harbors. Sitka is a wonderful place and I've always wanted to visit again, one of the top three best places in Alaska in my book. Enjoy and remember to post again after you've had your experience!
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default Used to catch cohoes...

Quote Originally Posted by Back Country Robb View Post
    If you go south of town, you'll be able to catch/release for pinks in the Totem Pole park. It's a great walk from downtown Sitka! The Totem Pole park is a great walk in and of itself and the fishing will be a bonus. I'm not sure if there's silvers mixed with the pinks but when I was down there about 7 years ago it was a beautiful place. You can shore fish from some of the areas for salmon, I do remember seeing them from some of the bridges and walkways around the various harbors. Sitka is a wonderful place and I've always wanted to visit again, one of the top three best places in Alaska in my book. Enjoy and remember to post again after you've had your experience!
    ... in that same place (in front of the Totem Park, and at the mouth of Indian River). If you can make it north of town, toward the ferry terminal, there may be silvers, and for sure dollies, in Starrigavan Bay.

Default Be Careful of the Charter fish Processor

I went on a Fish Charter in Sitka and the fish processor shorted us about 40% both salmon and hailibut.

Also, we got miserable thin fillets instead of the phatty's we caught. We caught a 109 and 55 pound hali with several 20 plus and 30 pound king. Got screwed. In fact, we got more tail fillet sections than hali we caught. The fish processor told us to FO when we called him on it.

Have your fillets cut into different sized, 1 1/2, 2 1/2 pound sections.

Very beautiful though.

Ping me a PM message. I'll tell you who to stay away from. DO NOT TAKE YOUR FISH TO BE PROCESSED BY A FISH PROCESSER WHO SELLS FISH TO THE PUBLIC. THEY WILL SWAP YOUR BIG FILLETS FOR FLOOR SCRAPS.

Default Thanks for all the info..

I figured there would be some pink & silver possibilities.

You would think you could catch a lincod or something from the shore?

Thanks again...

Never been to the southeast but from personal shorefishing experience try this-

Get a line and add a weight (heavy enough to get it 50-100 ft offshore)
    add a hook under the weight about 2ft away
    Attach a peice of herring.

really simple and if theres bottomfish there they will bite it.

Oh- if you can find a pier going out into the water try to get on that aswell, it will put you even farther offshore and hopefully into deeper waters with bigger fish